Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?

I write flash fiction primarily, though I've also done some longer stuff and have been kicking around scraps of a novel for a while. Most of my stuff probably falls in the "literary fiction" category, but I don't make a conscious effort to write in any specific genre. I don't have a set writing schedule, although that is something I want to work on--right now I'd say I do 2 or 3 writing sessions a week, with each session lasting a few hours. I wrote some dumb stories in middle school, but I would say I have only really been "writing" for a little less than 2 years.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?

I do content writing part-time (writing for blogs and stuff), and my fiction writing is probably safely considered a hobby right now. I started shopping stories around a few months ago and I've sold a couple, but I have no delusions about making a living by selling short stories. I wouldn't say the experiences affect one another--I write for myself, and if I like the end product, I send it out and see if maybe someone else likes it, too.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?

I have a B.A. in English, but aside from reading the classics, I wouldn't say it had any particular influence on my writing. I didn't take any creative writing courses or anything. I think experiences are the backbone of creative output, regardless of education, but that doesn't mean you have to lead a globe-trotting life of excitement to write something worth reading. Some people end up being stifled by a formal education, and some people thrive. There are amazing authors on both ends of the spectrum. I would say that mostly you become a better writer by writing more.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?

I tend to be very critical of myself, so I'm not sure I've ever felt "proud" of my writing. I feel satisfied when a story comes out that says what I intended it to say, and it's a great feeling when someone else reads it and it clicks for them on some level, but I can't think of a single thing I've written that I'm absolutely, 100% satisfied with. That probably sounds kind of miserable, but that feeling of being able to do better and dig deeper is honestly a big motivator.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?

There are certainly authors that I have a great deal of respect / admiration / envy for, but actually sitting down to write is such a personal thing that I just never stop to think about it in those terms. I think most writers absorb elements of craft from everything they read, good and bad, so it's very hard to narrow down all those influences.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?

Write, even if you hate what you've written afterward, and read even more than you write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread