Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing? I didn't really start writing as a serious hobby until about seven years ago. I write a little bit every day (I'm counting shitposts here) but I'd say I only work on something "real" about once a month. I mostly write science fiction and fantasy because I have no idea how the real world works.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other? I've sold some short fiction, but I won't consider myself a "professional" until I can support myself solely on income from writing. Right now I'd consider myself a serious hobbyist. There is a lot more freedom in writing as a hobby, imo, and I get to try things I wouldn't put in anything I intend to sell.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing? Aside from some 101 level English courses in college, I've had no formal education in writing. I think at least a basic education in writing is vital to being a good writer, but you can't become great without experience.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer? My proudest moment was when one of my erotic novellas broke sales records for the niche fetish site that published it. I made a couple thousand off that one. Ultimately, I'd love for one of my non-erotic works to be optioned as a TV series or feature film, but I'd be happy to make a self-supporting career out of writing.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not? Stephen King, Robert E. Howard, Brad Alan Lewis, and Chuck Palahniuk. I love their kinetic, visceral styles of writing and admire how they can paint a vivid scene in very few words. They're not necessarily my favorite authors to read, but definitely the one's whose technique I most admire.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be? Read more than you write and write every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread