Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?

Mostly paranormal romance. I've been writing various wordstuffs for most of my life, and self-publishing fiction for about two years now.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?

I have a few precious darling spec fiction side projects that I tinker with once in a while, but getting paid is the motivation that plants my lazy, procrastinating cheeks in the chair on a consistent (but not consistent enough) basis.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?

I have a BS and MA in Communication, so my education is kind of "writing adjacent." However, writing has been a part of my professional life since I was teenager; most of my pre-"Okay gently caress this, I quit, I'm officially a writer livin' the dream now" career has involved writing in some capacity. Scriptwriting, exhibit design, curriculum development, blogging, etc.

I can't think of how to answer the education/experience question in a way that isn't a cop out. Both are important, but the ideal balance is probably weighted differently for different people depending on personal strengths and weaknesses. Also you can gain education through experience and gather experience while pursuing education, so blah blah blargle blarg

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?

Proudest moments then: seeing my scriptwork end up on-screen or otherwise in front of the public. Proudest moments now: seeing nameless, faceless internet people buy my books and imagining that at least a small percentage of them are actually enjoying my work.

edit: but really this:

Sitting Here posted:

lol at the concept of being proud of my own writing. I hope to accomplish the feat of making the dumb negative Nancy in my head shut up for 2 seconds.

My most important goal is just to make a modest living by putting my imagination on the page. I want to be able to consistently pay rent without working past noon or taking off my pajama pants. The only real barrier to me doing that is making myself write more and procrastinate less. With self-publishing my successes and failures are almost entirely my own. There's a certain purity about it that I love.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?

Gaiman's my childhood hero, and he always has solid advice for writers. While I don't love Sanderson's writing, he has a work ethic that I would murder a convent full of kittens for.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?

Make work, dummy. Write words every day, because slacking off begets slacking off and eventually you're going to look back and feel sad about all the wasted time you'll never get back. Butt in the seat, rinse and repeat. Never stop starting.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread