Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thread's purpose is long-gone, but why the hell not.

1. What do you write, how often do you write, and how long have you been writing?
Contemporary romance. I write 3-5 days a week and should write 5-7 but I'm lazy. I've been writing professionally for three years and as a hobby for eight.

2. If you write professionally, do you also write as a hobby, or vice versa? And if so how do the experiences affect each other?
I spend a ridiculous amount of my day-job time writing (8-12K a day is normal) and then write professionally after work, so there just isn't enough wrist strength available to keep writing as a hobby. Been there, tried that, suffered double tendonitis for it and couldn't write at full capacity for nearly a year afterward. My hobby writing is dead because my body runs out of gas.

3. What sort of training/education have you received that influences your writing? Between experience and education, which is more important for writing?
I'm a scientist with technical writing training and a family who beat me silly if I used poor grammar as a child. Does that count as training? Seriously though, what I've learned from writing romance is that story and voice are more important than technical know-how. Readers don't give a poo poo about whether your comma placement and overall paragraph structure are optimal. They care what the characters are doing and that they can easily read the story. Experience is more important than education for writing, but I mean reading experience. You will learn more as a writer (especially in the beginning) by reading your genre than you will by writing it.

4. What is your proudest moment as a writer? Or, alternatively, what do you hope to accomplish as a writer?
I have two here. As an individual moment, my first series received fan mail from a couple who, based on their letters, actually had their lives changed by reading it. As a more long-term accomplishment, 2015 is my first six-digit year. I hope to accomplish complete financial independence as a writer and be able to do it as my day job. Not there yet, though.

5. Who do you look up to as a role model for writing and why? If you have no role model, then why not?
I don't really have a role model in my genre, but my absolute favorite writer is Ursula K. Le Guin. Get away from her Earthsea series and she has some seriously amazing stuff.

6. If you can only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would that be?
Read. Read read read read read. Read read read. Read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread