Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Like I generally dislike rt+p games so I may not be the best judge (I dislike Baldurs Gate combat, for instance) but even then DA2 combat seemed noticeably monotonous

It wasn't just you. Abilities being tied to really long cooldown timers and enemies spawning around you from every direction in nearly every battle also helped turn it into a thoughtless, tedious slog. Also the plot is comically bad, but depending on how you feel about such things that might be a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Started playing Dragon Age 2 today. Why did it get such a bad rep? The lack of racial diversity/origins is kind of uncool, but man the combat is way more fun and rewarding.

the gently caress?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

Started playing Dragon Age 2 today. Why did it get such a bad rep? The lack of racial diversity/origins is kind of uncool, but man the combat is way more fun and rewarding.

The fact that the game only has like a dozen maps and you have to keep visiting them over and over to do quests gets really stupid.

The characters and the ways yuo can interact with them are great tho

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Three maps in a dozen slightly altered layouts each.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.twitchinstalls.com/

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

What's this all about?

I know arch linux is some barebones distro where you can basically 'build' your own linux OS but what does twitch have to do with that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

did you live in a cave for last few years

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ekster posted:

What's this all about?

I know arch linux is some barebones distro where you can basically 'build' your own linux OS but what does twitch have to do with that.

do you remember twitchplayspokemon?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

do you remember twitchplayspokemon?

oooooooooooooh :downs:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So apparently Tales of The Best might be all the Old rear end Tales games remastered in one collection.

Think SNES, PSX, and PS2 but lacking Abyss and Legendia.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'll be fine with the exclusion of Legendia if they just pack a copy of the soundtrack with the game. Then you'll be getting the best part of the experience anyway.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Legendia was so weird. I'm still not sure whether I liked that game or not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ekster posted:

It had, if anything, really good music. And a lot of really hilariously unusual ones for a JRPG, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKgB03vPkw

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Happy Halloween! Be sure to post your epic gamer halloween costumes.

you need a ski mask and binoculars for the stalking of feminists

its not too late

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgMMciELiIg

lol. That Spike Spiegel model has some cool animations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Apparently Sony might have to adjust thier 30 million PS4 figures

Somehow an extra 5 million were not counted because they were from people who pre-ordered upcoming system bundles for the holidays.

So within a few months it should hit the 40 million figure.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Apparently Sony might have to adjust thier 30 million PS4 figures

Somehow an extra 5 million were not counted because they were from people who pre-ordered upcoming system bundles for the holidays.

So within a few months it should hit the 40 million figure.

gonnanneed a source.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've never played a tales game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

axleblaze posted:

I've never played a tales game.

Abyss, Vesperia, Graces f and i guess the new one are good

Symphonia is alright but its combat is dated and the cast is loving horrible

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

mods kindly show this guy no quarter tia

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I played Symphonia in high school and thought it was mediocre. A year later there was a group of kids that were always watching clips of conversations from the game in class and were even sharing some with the teacher, I thought it was bizarre since the game was 3 or 4 years old at that point.

thats my tales of story

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

man, the early years of bob ross game is weird

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So what's everyone looking forward to this month other than fallout?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

axleblaze posted:

So what's everyone looking forward to this month other than fallout?

Call of Duty: Black Ops III

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That's a worse answer than fallout tbh

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm gonna try and do the NaNoWriMo in November so there won't be much time for videogames for me :negative:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ekster posted:

Legendia is the worst tales game by far, it avoids being amongst the worst jrpgs due to sheer volume.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Colonel posted:

Abyss, Vesperia, Graces f and i guess the new one are good

I liked Phantasia, Destiny, and Eternia when they came out, but I haven't played then in at least 15 years or so

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

I liked Phantasia, Destiny, and Eternia when they came out, but I haven't played then in at least 15 years or so

Phantasia and Destiny did not age well at all. Eternia still holds up though imo.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm gonna try and do the NaNoWriMo in November so there won't be much time for videogames for me :negative:

hey what a coincidence i'll be playing games all month and won't have time to write a novel for a challenge i'll quit after completing 5% of it like everyone else on earth does.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mak0rz posted:

mods kindly show this guy no quarter tia

Yeah he forgot to mention Xillia and Xillia 2.

Two of the best entries in the franchise, it's like forgetting LTTP in Zelda.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the gently caress?

DA:O was boring garbage in the combat department. I get the monotony complaints from 2, but at least combat goes by way faster and they give you two mages quickly. And so far it's less monotonous than Origins. Personally I like the ambush flooding though, it means your mages/varus can actually get in trouble and better represents the Chaos of fighting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never played DA2 but my understanding was that everything was bad and rushed except the combat which was really really good for the genre.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

axleblaze posted:

I never played DA2 but my understanding was that everything was bad and rushed except the combat which was really really good for the genre.

it was loving awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLUhVH_M96U

at launch it didn't have autoattack so please imagine me mashing the X button during this entire video

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
Devil's Bluff seems like a cool game from the videos and reviews, but I can't get to the lobby without it freezing, so who even knows. Looking forward to that happening - maybe by the time it's actually November?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
DA2 was pushed out in like a year because of executive meddling which is why it's so obviously unfinished, lacking in content, and terrible. I never liked the original much and I don't really care for Bioware either way but I can't really hold DA2 against them when even the greats buckled under similar deadlines and without the added stress of the shakeup followed by being bought out by EA.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Corn beat me to it, but yeah, combat required you to constantly press buttons to attack and use the same 3-hit combo to watch health bars drain at the same speed. The big thing people hated though was that there were a limited number of combat maps that were recycled over and over again. Like one warehouse for the city, one cave for the countryside, etc. And there were times where you had to explore the city at night, picking fights as you went where you were just walking everywhere trying to trigger encounters. I liked some things DA2 did, but there was some awful repetition.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 31, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

axleblaze posted:

That's a worse answer than fallout tbh

blops 3 opowns

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
So with Fallout 4 coming out, I decided I need to get into the next generation of gaming. Only problem is that I can't decide whether to buy a PS4, or upgrade the RAM and GPU of my few years old PC. They would be about the same price, more or less.

I'd also like to play Bloodborne on PS4, and there are probably some other exclusives that I'd play.

That's the struggle. Thoughts, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaga_Drax
Sep 5, 2015

thehoodie posted:

So with Fallout 4 coming out, I decided I need to get into the next generation of gaming. Only problem is that I can't decide whether to buy a PS4, or upgrade the RAM and GPU of my few years old PC. They would be about the same price, more or less.

I'd also like to play Bloodborne on PS4, and there are probably some other exclusives that I'd play.

That's the struggle. Thoughts, goons?

PC upgrade.

• Locked thread