Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

OSI bean dip posted:

node.js lets you write so close to the metal
im frothing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OSI bean dip posted:

node.js lets you write so close to the metal

thats the opposite of what i need

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Valeyard posted:

i just want my day job to be writing javascript all day
I want my day and night job to be writing stupid loving jQuery to scrape and redesign content on a forum whose software is 243 years old and was coded back before mobile devices even existed, so any mobile detection has to be done by either css or jQuery and then load the original page shortly before rewriting nearly all of it

because its fun and I love it so much

https://drive.google.com/a/somethingawful.com/file/d/0B72oTkmUPNFrVmwtTEtIeTh3NHM/view?usp=sharing

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Me.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I'm going hog wild over here

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
:tipshat:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
also lowtax, could you please change my donation tag to Buglord

burning swine
May 26, 2004

javascript is bad hth

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Lowtax posted:

I'm going hog wild over here

enjoy my donation; i forgot sorry

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

I want my day and night job to be writing stupid loving jQuery to scrape and redesign content on a forum whose software is 243 years old and was coded back before mobile devices even existed, so any mobile detection has to be done by either css or jQuery and then load the original page shortly before rewriting nearly all of it

https://drive.google.com/a/somethingawful.com/file/d/0B72oTkmUPNFrVmwtTEtIeTh3NHM/view?usp=sharing

to be honest, like you say, since youre working on top of years of work. its hard enough to design for "mobile first" on a clean project, but doing it for this site is just never giong to work...unless you do what you are doing and just remove all the junk and shuffle everything around on each page load

the other option would be serving up new, mobile based, templates for all current templates where the url is prepended with "m.". i guess nobody does this anymore in the face of "mobile first responsive design" but its still another avenue

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Valeyard posted:

its hard enough to design for "mobile first" on a clean project, but doing it for this site is just never giong to work...unless you do what you are doing
Fortunately I am doing what I am doing so it will eventually work. The only real downside to doing it this way, besides the needless complexity and amount of time required to code it, is that pages restyled using jQuery sometimes have the nasty tendency to, upon loading, display the original / non-redesigned page briefly, before jQuery has a chance to re-render it. So you'll see a momentary flash of the old design before the new one loads, and that personally drives me batty!!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

use one of the many terrible gamefaqs board clones

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

Fortunately I am doing what I am doing so it will eventually work. The only real downside to doing it this way, besides the needless complexity and amount of time required to code it, is that pages restyled using jQuery sometimes have the nasty tendency to, upon loading, display the original / non-redesigned page briefly, before jQuery has a chance to re-render it. So you'll see a momentary flash of the old design before the new one loads, and that personally drives me batty!!!

what if you have a script that kicks in, before the page has finished loading, and detects mobile/not mobile

if not mobile then it loads the normal forums.combined + other forum specific scripts

if mobile then it only loads the mobile javascript

that would mean you wouldnt have to restyle and remove anything that is currently added/modified by forums.combined and it should lessen the effect of the old page appearing first - since you are just styling the base source, the same way the forums.combined script currently does for the main site

if that makes sense

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

nothing in web dev makes any sense

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

My 10-year old daughter said "I took an online quiz and it asked me if I'd rather spend time earning Bitcoins or doing something to earn real money, and I chose Bitcoins because it was funnier"

imagine humor

but with bitcoins

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you've rescued this thread and now it is good again

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Lowtax posted:

this immediately looks like the wrong approach, but given the state of the forums i'm willing to believe that this is actually the best way to do it

Lowtax posted:

this will be pretty hard to fix though, given your constraints

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yikes that doesn't look fun to maintain at all

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Smythe posted:

no. cept for ppl i vendetta probe

🚜

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Cat Face Joe posted:

there's already one in gbs and it's worse than the one here

no they sent their bitcoin thread to byob

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Hogge Wild posted:

also lowtax, could you please change my donation tag to Buglord

no.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

bitcoin is just an exchange rate between drug dealers and money launderers cashing out and drug consumers and money launderers buying bitcoin as an anonymising service is there really any more to talk about

also when did the pos become helldump

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

take your time and make it awesome

we can wait

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

lowtax maybe you should upgrade your forum software, its literally that easy

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
is the forums :yayclod: yet?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
web dev sounds like an awful helllpit full of fiery demon jizz
just standing in the pit more demon jizz raining down all the time
(the jizz is new backend languages/tech)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

restyling using jqeury looks wrong but knowing most ancient php it has no concept of templates despite being a templating language, and happily includes random php files and mixes logic and depends on a awful mess of global variables that have to be defined in a certain order

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AtomD posted:

web dev sounds like an awful helllpit full of fiery demon jizz
just standing in the pit more demon jizz raining down all the time
(the jizz is new backend languages/tech)
(but also the seminal ejaculate of damned angels)

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
crumbbum 2k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lowtax please dont close the forums

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljB77I1f-k

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Valeyard posted:

[video type="youtu"]FljB77I1f-k[/video]

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a bug where the video tag regex can't handle youtu.be links very well

pram
Jun 10, 2001
velayrd did you try out my site laddy

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

velayrd did you try out my site laddy

Wait what, no. I can't see a thread, spill the deets

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Valeyard posted:

Wait what, no. I can't see a thread, spill the deets

eirka.com

pram make a thread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I like your forums lowtax

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

eirka.com

pram make a thread

Cheers mate

:eyepop:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Valeyard posted:

hold on, doesnt moo cow also have some scots staying with him just now?!?

most other scottish folk ive met, that arent my mates, are cunts. and there definetely seems like a weird balance of hot chicks with suspect looking guys

tracksuit bottoms and jogging trousers/sweat pants are the true scottish attire

I offered them a case of beer if they would work another week.

They drank the beer that night then hosed off.

loving scots,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Lowtax posted:

I did 9/11
bring back purchasable regdates plz

• Locked thread