Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
early 2000s Internet humour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
lowtax should just put up the paywall again on the star citizen thread

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
q to lowtax: in what way does db 3 handle Gateway/ 502 Errors as you claim in your post?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Is db3 the server that has the "titan" database?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
In what server does yospos reside? Would be a shame if it had an ... accident

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
please don't bait lowtax into this thread

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
pram pissed off lowtax pretty hard, I doubt he'll be back to yospos soon

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
i never got that, why doesn't he just pay vbulletin fr the loving upgrae

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no upgrade is possible. he has to start from scratch

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pram posted:

no upgrade is possible. he has to start from scratch

upgrading would be pretty much going from scratch

like lol if you think radium's additions would accept any upgrade peacefully in a sane way

no, radium's code is like a foreign object, a parasite keeping everything together in a very delicate house of cards

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

new forum software isn't going to solve the gbs problem

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

upgrading would be pretty much going from scratch

like lol if you think radium's additions would accept any upgrade peacefully in a sane way

no, radium's code is like a foreign object, a parasite keeping everything together in a very delicate house of cards

I didn't say to upgrade. I said to start from scratch, with any forum software. the TCO of that would be far lower than the probably half million dollars dumped into the development and upkeep of this pos. the real problem is this site requires a developer, and he can't afford it anymore. in addition he only trusts a small coterie of people with questionable experience and skill to make changes. he can't afford the next time the database shits the bed. and there's no one doing preventative maintenance.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh but hey maybe moving to teh cloud will fix it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted:

I didn't say to upgrade. I said to start from scratch, with any forum software. the TCO of that would be far lower than the probably half million dollars dumped into the development and upkeep of this pos. the real problem is this site requires a developer, and he can't afford it anymore. in addition he only trusts a small coterie of people with questionable experience and skill to make changes. he can't afford the next time the database shits the bed. and there's no one doing preventative maintenance.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

pram posted:

oh but hey maybe moving to teh cloud will fix it
"hmm. our revenue is down and we're basically a laughing stock. how do we fix this?

I KNOW. THE CLOUD"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
he's following people's suggestions of ditching the servers and moving to the cloud

sounded reasonable to me one year ago, it's not too late

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Usenet would really be the cloud

I found a bespoke artisanal NNTP server written in Python that exists specifically to act as a front end to other forum software

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the cloud is finally coming to yospos?

:yaycloud:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the shitposts will finally be in the butt, where they belong

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

exactly. in addition, lowtax should not be in charge of any hardware. he should be paying for cloud servers.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The SA uncreative clod

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

his cj skills are... something awful

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if "moving to the cloud" is just doing a p2v of all the forums servers, lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I copied the database to Microsoft one drive, although I had to create 790 new accounts to get that much storage on their free tier

what now?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mishaq posted:

if "moving to the cloud" is just doing a p2v of all the forums servers, lmao

yes it's just a lift and shift lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

lowtax should introduce something awful minutes

$6.99 - 1000 minutes of something awful
$12.99 - 1500 minutes
$2999 - 3000 minutes + free star citizen ship designed by lowtax

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
like i have no idea if its complete poo poo or not as alternative but doesn't vanilla forum literally have all the features of SA available in plugin form and a supported cloud service

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Fabricated posted:

like i have no idea if its complete poo poo or not as alternative but doesn't vanilla forum literally have all the features of SA available in plugin form and a supported cloud service
probably yeah, but the problem is that you can't migrate anything over to it because SA's backend is basically built out of inertia and hope

turns out giving your buddy from planetquake unrestricted access to your main source of income isn't a great idea

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don't even bother with a database migrator, literally just write a script to scrape html and generate a new database from that

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
turn off the server to save on bandwidth and sell the box so you can put money towards cloud

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i look forward to when the site dies and lowtax makes the code available so all of you can tell me how jank it is and i wont appreciate a word of it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

don't even bother with a database migrator, literally just write a script to scrape html and generate a new database from that

a 1000 iphones running a modified awful.app over a local wifi network

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

a 1000 iphones running a modified awful.app over a local wifi network

SA.sqlite

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SQLite?

just use Fossil, SQLite's bespoke artisanal distributed SCM, for both post storage and the web server itself

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let's write the forum web server in 30 lines of erlang and use a Cassandra database

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hellz yeah lets use a LYME stack

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Valeyard posted:

Hellz yeah lets use a LYME stack

Lync Server, YAML, Mongo and Exchange??

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LYME_%28software_bundle%29 it's linux plus some erlang poo poo nobody's ever heard of

even better is there's a variant called "LYCE"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
last yn, mirst eut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

my stepdads beer posted:

Lync Server, YAML, Mongo and Exchange??

I wish

It's Linux, YAWS (Erlang web server), Mnesia (Erlang DB) and..well Erlang

I don't know how front end works, is there a template language involved?

• Locked thread