Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lets save the site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

didn't you offer to save the site but he did not reply?

drat hes editing my posts, trying to cover up this travesty!!!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A former decorated member of the YouTube Let's Play community needs your support!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The SA uncreative clod

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let's write the forum web server in 30 lines of erlang and use a Cassandra database

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hellz yeah lets use a LYME stack

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

my stepdads beer posted:

Lync Server, YAML, Mongo and Exchange??

I wish

It's Linux, YAWS (Erlang web server), Mnesia (Erlang DB) and..well Erlang

I don't know how front end works, is there a template language involved?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BeOSPOS posted:

$420.69 must be ... 'bonerhitler"

someone please do this

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
wait, i didnt donate anything yet why do i have that thing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll donate 69 bucks if he provides a receipt from a hocker for 1 x blowjob

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
making a tuna sandwich

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

If you guys want to make fun of me in a more conductive environment, I believe there's still an offsite forum solely dedicated to obsessing over everything I do and explaining why it's all wrong and bad and stupid.

This isn't "obsessing over everything you do", its having lols at a forum wide sticky talking about moving the forums backend to the cloud. Do you expect people not to talk about it lol

pram posted:

you guys are creepy, bitter, weird btw *rattles donation jar in your face*

Lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

emoji posted:

Having a laugh mate?

Laugh at thing? Better direct everyone to the offsite that has been doxxing me on the reg for the last decade, they could use some more bitter users with vendettas against me

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yo Lowtax can we get a look at the mobile site you've been working on, I'm getting sick of awful.apk asking me to relogin every 30 seconds and it would be nice to use the native site

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 10, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

I'm still working on layout, but functionality is all there.

Cool thanks, that's looking pretty good

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 10, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Space-Pope posted:

if you're talking about the stuff valeyard quoted, please remember that it was in response to stuff at the date posted, and that he did say some hosed up poo poo about myself well before i railed on him

btw i dont have anything against you, i just thought the obsessive posts were a bit odd

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

we just had some scots staying upstairs in our airbnb

nice people. the girl was hot as hella nd her bf.. man are dudes just not expected to try in your culture or anything

when they arrived they loojed normal, they had been driving you see. wen they came down she was fuckin in a tight leathe skirt and something else and he was dressed like a drongo. its like dude get your act togehter

hold on, doesnt moo cow also have some scots staying with him just now?!?

most other scottish folk ive met, that arent my mates, are cunts. and there definetely seems like a weird balance of hot chicks with suspect looking guys

tracksuit bottoms and jogging trousers/sweat pants are the true scottish attire

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

this was just two nights. theya re working in queenstown

i base all my knowdge of scotland from transpotting

this is pretty good too, but i dont think anyone will understand it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNLfr1EP08&hd=1

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
how is the airbnb thing going btw

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

drat. now thats paper

yeah no kidding, jesus

glad to hear its going well

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

its ownage

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
sell the bitcoin thread

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i just want my day job to be writing javascript all day

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OSI bean dip posted:

node.js lets you write so close to the metal

thats the opposite of what i need

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

I want my day and night job to be writing stupid loving jQuery to scrape and redesign content on a forum whose software is 243 years old and was coded back before mobile devices even existed, so any mobile detection has to be done by either css or jQuery and then load the original page shortly before rewriting nearly all of it

because its fun and I love it so much

https://drive.google.com/a/somethingawful.com/file/d/0B72oTkmUPNFrVmwtTEtIeTh3NHM/view?usp=sharing

to be honest, like you say, since youre working on top of years of work. its hard enough to design for "mobile first" on a clean project, but doing it for this site is just never giong to work...unless you do what you are doing and just remove all the junk and shuffle everything around on each page load

the other option would be serving up new, mobile based, templates for all current templates where the url is prepended with "m.". i guess nobody does this anymore in the face of "mobile first responsive design" but its still another avenue

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

Fortunately I am doing what I am doing so it will eventually work. The only real downside to doing it this way, besides the needless complexity and amount of time required to code it, is that pages restyled using jQuery sometimes have the nasty tendency to, upon loading, display the original / non-redesigned page briefly, before jQuery has a chance to re-render it. So you'll see a momentary flash of the old design before the new one loads, and that personally drives me batty!!!

what if you have a script that kicks in, before the page has finished loading, and detects mobile/not mobile

if not mobile then it loads the normal forums.combined + other forum specific scripts

if mobile then it only loads the mobile javascript

that would mean you wouldnt have to restyle and remove anything that is currently added/modified by forums.combined and it should lessen the effect of the old page appearing first - since you are just styling the base source, the same way the forums.combined script currently does for the main site

if that makes sense

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljB77I1f-k

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a bug where the video tag regex can't handle youtu.be links very well

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

velayrd did you try out my site laddy

Wait what, no. I can't see a thread, spill the deets

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

eirka.com

pram make a thread

Cheers mate

:eyepop:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I offered them a case of beer if they would work another week.

They drank the beer that night then hosed off.

loving scots,

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

three man in traditional scottish dress, pictured at a formal scottish banquet, right before the main course - deep-fried mars bars and cans of stella - is served.

I'd send someone a bottle of bucky for Christmas but I wouldn't want to see the fallout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

i tried irn-bru once, didn't really see the appeal. it tastes like bubble gum. inca kola is the same way, i like the logo and the name but the actual product is so so.

If its not BARS original irn bru then there's no point even looking at it, it will taste like poo poo

• Locked thread