Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
OP NOTE - THIS THREAD IS MADE BY AN AUSTRALIAN. IT ALSO HAS OTHER AUSTRALIANS DROP IN. There may or may not be the odd naughty word dropped.

refer https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926936

So while I'm trying to find the lawnmotor in amongst the Great Wall of tyres...

I think.... hey I havent opened up this door in a while

Oh..... three years and.... well the tail light is back on? The subframes are painted and new Spec-C trailing arms on display?

Hang on the front suspenson is kinda back together again....

And we have some driveshafts to choose from!

Okay, progress has finally been made. Diff is rebuilt, gearbox is being overhauled and the engine actually ready to go back in. Brakes are overhauled as well. The tyres have to move out of the way for the "new" project as well.

But until that project is dragged home, here's the Australian Motoring Museum and bunch of Australian cars of various vintages.

http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/index.php?/category/11

I doubt the "new" project will be that interesting but it is a rotary. Hence -R.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Rotary? Hell yeah.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So while I'm trying to find the lawnmotor in amongst the Great Wall of tyres...

I think.... hey I havent opened up this door in a while

The first two urls weren't quite right, didn''t display on my end. I changed them to match the others here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man the spiders in Australia fix your car for you if you abandon it long enough?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man the spiders in Australia fix your car for you if you abandon it long enough?

Possums did it. We now have the third generation living in the garage - Poss Bourne begat GC8, GC8 begat GDA.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'll post RX-7 soon, promise

But more on a project gone wrong - confirmed the subframes were not part numbered WRX, they were STI. The parental unit has been doing some research on it and says there was also a slight difference between WRX and STI as well. That I did not know.

Interior disaster

Wait.... what's this for?

OMG WE HAVE WRX PROGRESS

REPEAT WE HAVE WRX PROGRESS

CATTE

poo poo we might have this POS back on it's wheels this year

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 7, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just having soemout loud thoughts about the RX-7's suspension -

As much as the Gen 1's are a even by today's standards a drat nice handling car, they do have problems. Both front and rear ends have issues that 25 years ago I solved in ways I didnt have open to me now -

- the front end can be adjusted for caster very well - the caster rods have a lot of adjustment in them. That makes up fo rthe strut on arm design that Mazda have that otherwise is just not adjustable like a proper McPherson strut hub can be. On a say WRX you can adjust the camber with pins or slotting the struts, but no castor adjustment stock (altho that's easily doable). The camber issue was done on a Gen 1 by bending the struts to get 2.5 degrees neg.

- The rear suffered roll angle related binding. Solved with removing the roll bar of all things.

First things first - work out where the best adjustable control arms are so I can get more caber on the front without resorting to tube bending.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Have you not learned from my mistakes?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

the spyder posted:

Have you not learned from my mistakes?

An RX7 is never a mistake :D

You wouldn't happen to know what the best adjustable front control arms for a Gen 1 RX7 is there days?

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 12, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's talk of a gen 1 RX7 and no photos? Tease. I adore the way gen 1s look, they're gorgeous.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

88h88 posted:

There's talk of a gen 1 RX7 and no photos? Tease. I adore the way gen 1s look, they're gorgeous.

Best I can do right now is a picture from 1993 - I bought the RX7 in 1991. So ummm.... approaching 25 years it's been in the family?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

There is a car cover and it appears to have something under it....

1981 Gen I Series II RX7, 13B Extended port, Series III driveline / brakes etc, 500,000 km(! No that's not BS, that car really has gone that far) and a few other tweaks. Due to be fuel injected in the next week or two. Basically runs like crap under 4000 rpm, then gets up and scooooots Carb is just simply not tuned but gently caress carbs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I adore these cars... :allears:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I LOVE IT

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I never really thought about it until now, but how do rotaries react to E85?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Cooling the intake charge is probably really welcome, but from what I've been told, rotaries are not as sensitive to octane as a piston engine would be.

You probably have to run two-stroke though because I bet E85 washes oil off the housings and seals. I'd love to hear from someone who's done it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Turboed, not bad with the supporting fuel system fixes - Alcohol turbo rotaries go like gently caress. For a NA, you want the lowest octane you can get your hands on - 80(!) octane is actually really bloody good.

Hmmm... now thinking about it, Ethanol isnt as energetic even if the octane is higher and it's well proven less energetic fuels work best.

Edit - Doing a bit of research says it works with NA Bridgeported and even keeps the exhaust a fair bit cooler, a different oil premix is required. I'll have a look further into this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looks vaguely like a Subaru engine.........!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, you are old.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

drat, you are old.

Dad's garage. And he can kick your rear end too :D

Uhhhhh...... it's off the stands for the first time in 4 years????? And there's a engine back in??????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

!!! Almost ready to be started !!! - might even happen tomorrow

CATTE

However, we managed to pick up something wildy different for free....

Ummm.... what the ever living gently caress am I going to do with THAT?????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well gently caress, a red WRX started tonight......!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You need to make the RED quad a body kit so it looks like the RED WRX... That's what you need to do with that. Whether or not you put a flat 4 in it is entirely up to you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well gently caress, a red WRX started tonight......!

Video or it didn't happen.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
None of your photos work :smith:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Das Volk posted:

None of your photos work :smith:

They do without SSL.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh poo poo, Gen 1 RX-7 content and questions and I missed it until now! In the US I know where I'd go to get stuff, but you're not in the US so recommending stuff from over here would be pretty silly; I'll do some poking around when I get home from work. The rear end has more issues than just the sway bar too; the sway bar was actually a bandaid fix. But the proper fix isn't really quite a bolt on thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

25 years ago the access to do things like relocate the panhard rod or convert to Watts linkage / equal length rear control arms / ball joints wasn't available to a kid with about 5 cents for other mods :)

The big issue of rear suspension bind I can do now, there's also a MazSpeed LSD in it that would have solved the single spinner issues out of corners.

quote:

In the US I know where I'd go to get stuff, but you're not in the US so recommending stuff from over here would be pretty silly

The best and more importantly cheaper stuff is all US sourced. The markups here are fearful. I'd rather buy US direct.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well, Techno Toy Tuning has some nice looking stuff here: https://technotoytuning.com/mazda/fb or if you have welding ability, something like https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/weld-lower-control-arm-kit-ae86-corolla and the stock control arms would be cheaper. Or really you could DIY the same idea. Actually what I'd be really tempted to do is go the "cut the control arm and fit a rod end" route, then press in a different ball joint. I couldn't quote you exactly what one but from what I recall a Mazdaspeed 3 ball joint can be pressed into the RX-7 control arm, which gets you a straight pin instead of a tapered bit with a threaded whatsit. And that straight pin happens to be the same size as the pin the S4/S5 RX-7 knuckles bolt to, which gets away from the stupid strut solution. Might take a bit of fiddling with struts to get something the right length and all (I'm not sure 2nd gen stuff is exactly right) but there's a lot of advantages, you know?

Rear suspension... stock was unequal length 4-link and watts link. The circuit race solution over here is moving to 3-link plus panhard - 3rd link going to the top of the diff forwards to the trans tunnel. Where class rules require no hacking up sheetmetal, the link is actually bent and anchors at the roof of the trans tunnel about even with the lower link. Panhard mounts about even vertically with the shock mounts. No solution here that doesn't require fab though, I don't think. Try looking up Charlie Clark at KC Raceware (googleable) Then again, without much lateral force, binding issues in the rear suspension might not be as important.

Probably circuit racers over there have other ideas, but I won't pretend to know who's reputable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

WRX Update -

Had loads of check engine codes for what seemed like no good reason and ECU in limp home mode. So after a full wiring check found corroded plug terminals, a split wire and a broken terminal. Which everyone was WTF'ed about because none of that should have been possible.

ECU now happy. Boring bolting on of other poo poo continues.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You make the impossible, possible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

You make the impossible, possible.

Cant argue with that.Altho you should see what Kaptain Ballistik has done on the other side of the garage...... that's a real eye brow raiser. That PWRC 2004 STi has become very VERY different. It's now a 2007 Spec C

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Video or it didn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5820gnf9emE

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED????

Yeah okay it's batshit boring. But it's nearly ready to be put back on the ground and actually drive.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
ITS ABOUT TIME.

doogle
May 24, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5820gnf9emE

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED????

Yeah okay it's batshit boring. But it's nearly ready to be put back on the ground and actually drive.

I think there is something wrong with the audio, your voice sounds funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NOW MAKE IT FLY.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GREAT GOD DAMNED NEWS!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

NOW MAKE IT FLY.

IT'S NOT A RALLY CAR! (That's the WRC2 2007 STI next to it!)

meatpimp posted:

GREAT GOD DAMNED NEWS!

IT MOVED UNDER IT'S OWN POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

To do : Put the interior back together, front bumper. Move out of the way so the RX7 can come in and I can get stuck into that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Not much more to go

Cattes

Hmmm..... 1500 bucks for a Group C bodykit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Umm.... I think this thread is badly misnamed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2MQ2lTLVms&feature=youtu.be - It moved under it's own power ..... off to get the final pieces put back on and rego.

And in it's place -

Brakes need some work.