Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Voting for trump and bitching about Puerto Ricans does.

*Checks Lepers Colony*

Hooooly poo poo @ SAC probation. Well that was a truly stupid thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
After stripping out my transmission crossmember bolt today I have to remind you how lucky you are to not have to deal with rust. poo poo must be so enjoyable, just start off taking the car apart and finish by putting it back together again but with things fixed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

After stripping out my transmission crossmember bolt today I have to remind you how lucky you are to not have to deal with rust. poo poo must be so enjoyable, just start off taking the car apart and finish by putting it back together again but with things fixed.

I dont miss rust buckets at all. Old Mazdas and Minis, with the odd Datsun thrown in were enough... altho amusing as the Datsun was repaired by some... uhhh... shall we say liberated bus shelter sheet metal, a gas axe and a coathanger. The yearly inspection might be a PITA but it's effective in throwing rusty cars off the road... if they even begin to rust in the first place in the last 25 years.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Both of the internal nuts for the front of my trans xmember broke off, there are holes cut in the chassis to get a wrench on a regular nut. I should probably do something about that, maybe when i get around to replacing the squeaky tob.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Both of the internal nuts for the front of my trans xmember broke off, there are holes cut in the chassis to get a wrench on a regular nut. I should probably do something about that, maybe when i get around to replacing the squeaky tob.

This is basically my fear when I go to drill out and re-tap what's left of that nut.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont miss rust buckets at all. Old Mazdas and Minis, with the odd Datsun thrown in were enough... altho amusing as the Datsun was repaired by some... uhhh... shall we say liberated bus shelter sheet metal, a gas axe and a coathanger. The yearly inspection might be a PITA but it's effective in throwing rusty cars off the road... if they even begin to rust in the first place in the last 25 years.

Yeah, if we did that here there'd be nothing older than 7 years on the road, sadly. Salt and gravel are a bitch.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

jamal posted:

You haven't worked on a PWRC car have you....

It's a regular occurance 🤕

Oh and CI forgot to mention the S4 Rx7, the ST4s Ducati and the Yamaha collection.... A TT-R 250 with the "works" thumper racer kit, a 1975 DT1 175 and a 1971 AT-1 125 enduro.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

:: Looks at GC8 wiring ::

:: Shoots self ::

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah, We're farming out the wiring on our little engine swap project to someone else cos for $600 I'll happily pay someone else to deal with that fuckery

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty much why I've never bothered a swap in my own car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I am developing a irrational want to pour 5 litres of petrol on that GC8 and viking funeral the drat thing.

Seriously, why am I even bothering?

Worked out where the SSM plugs are, worked out how to show codes on the dash and...... I've seen less complex and shorter morse code at at a Amateur Radio meetup. I ran out of notepad after the sixth code - which is roughly 150 dots and dashes. Badically goes - 1.8 secs for new code, 1.3 secs for first digit, .3 secs for second so you build a matrix of codes that looks like this -

So thence I have -..... --.. ----........ -........ --.... ------. (example, the real thing is three times longer) and ooooh poo poo, di this ECU basically spew out every loving fault code known to man or something?????? Oddly tho the more I look at the disaster of the wiring, the more it actually looks it's coonected correctly and spliced in the right places.

Given the merged harness is from a B4 and a 96 AUTO WRX, and the original 96 auto ECU is in there and half the electronics are utterly different (like the coil over plug rather than singlee distributor) I'm wondering if the simple mistake here is the ECU is just simply wrong. I'm also considering that when I got the GC8 started, the ECU was in reset mode after sitting for so long. Theory is we reset the ECU and we'll get a start again as the car is doing exactly what caused us grief on the MY06 WRX - once the ECU is in limp home, it wont start unnless the engine is properly warm. Which is where the firebombing of this crap piece of metal might also work.

I'm also considering just trying out the 04 XT ECU i have... it would be a bit closer to being correct. First tho is getting the SSM diag dongle so we can talk to the ECU and hopefully it doesnt tell us to gently caress off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You all are seriously not going to believe this

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
This is like how I was for a while with S2/S3 RX-7s...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You all are seriously not going to believe this

Dude, seriously now.

Seriously.

You are awesome and are doing god's work.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'll explain that one tomorrow when a effort post about the wagon comes along.

Today was Red Forester and finding out why the back end howls more than a fedora wearing furry at a yiffing convention

Oh, and an excuse to try out my new Ryobi impact driver. Mmmmmm, yes it's good

Hmmm.... okay, that doesnt look too bad.... the oil also looked decent.

So that's what was on the plug. Pretty good for a 345,000 km diff.

And of course a test drive...... somewhat quieter, wheel bearings it is. I know what I'm doing tomorrow, apart from thinking up places to hide the next Subaru

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Where are you storing all of these loving things right now?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Out back :downsrim:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I wanna see that rally prepped vr4!!! I learned to shift on a base model Dodge Stealth and it was tire-squealingly awesome.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where are you storing all of these loving things right now?

One under the balcony, two in the garage, 4 outside, others are..... yeah all over the place.

This GF8 is in Queensland at present and the black Forester proved to be a worthless piece of poo poo with little worth saving and has officially been scrapped and I got most of my money back flogging parts and scrap metal.

Dagen H posted:

Out back :downsrim:

I wouldnt mind one actually. That or a Liberty Spec B.

What a Cluster(gently caress) of Subarus.

quote:

I wanna see that rally prepped vr4!!! I learned to shift on a base model Dodge Stealth and it was tire-squealingly awesome.

Here we have the VR-4 eating it's prey

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 16, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Welll..... it's different from the possums, kangaroos, dingos and dropbears that are usually around here

Okay so the recce car is project 2, so it's time I got back to work on it. Today]s job - front driveshaft tht's spewing grease removal

A lot of force later..... off comes the bolt

Annnnd of coruse it's a pin style driveshaft. Using a screwdriver as they right sized drift

Apply crowbar....

And yeah, that's buggered. Just looks like a split boot so tomorrow looks like it will be messy cleaning it up and rebooting. Yuck

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Any tips on doing CV boots? I'm doing all 4 on the S14.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Wrar posted:

Wear gloves.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Wrar posted:

If you think your prybar is big enough for the job. You probably need a bigger one. Big prybars make cv axles a breeze.

Also love all this subie wagon happening in this thread. I loved working at a Subaru dealer. Some of the best cars to wrench on professionally.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

If you think your prybar is big enough for the job. You probably need a bigger one. Big prybars make cv axles a breeze.

Also love all this subie wagon happening in this thread. I loved working at a Subaru dealer. Some of the best cars to wrench on professionally.

CV tip - get someone else to do it. This is gonna be messsssssssy

The GT has been, no lie, the eaiest car to work on. I'm enjoying wrenching it and boy am I looking forward to getting it running again. Even if it is an automatic. The WRX wagon on the other hand....... that thing is scary.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

Also have a second hand stockpile. We got loooooads of spares now

So after a couple of hours cleaning this garage up so we can work on something other than a STI and a RX7......

And it is bucketing down so in the 99 Forester goes in for the first time. I think this is the first time I've even taken the wheels off it.... which if what I need to fix is right, this should have been done 6 months ago

Ohhhhh gawd, this is never fun. gently caress DRUM HANDBRAKES

So after some ridiulous amount of leverage to get some of these bolts off (YAY 18 year old bolts never moved) and removing the drvie shat this iiiii oh poo poo that wheel bearing is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccked

We have press for exactly this reason. This is wild wheel bearing, it's is very dangerous and may attack at any time so we must dea with it

While I'm at it, had after go at the GF8 WRX. Removed plugs. WAT DA gently caress - yeah that aint gonna start. And also we found there was zero spark as well and corroded terminals. That car is gonna be a reaaaaaaaaal problem

I'll let these pics speak for themselves as to the condition of 18 year old bearings that should have been changed a year ago

Well. Yah. No wonder the noise was amazing. FUBAR

Now hevere' a tip - to make install of new bearings easier, get a bucket, fill with hot water and soak the cleaned hubs. Expands the hubs so the bearings almost drop in.

That Ryobi impact wrench is startlingly good and stupid cheap. Two things you wouldnt think go together but it does. You NEED to get two.

So far down on the project pile.....

Cleanup and heat soakign the other hub

We were in a hurry to get it back together and did I say gently caress DRUM HANDBRAKES???? yet? Fucccck frustrating POS's. Disk hats took too long to get back on. But on they are now - handbrake is badly adjusted right now but the rear end is silent.

And that marks the start of the Forester Sleeper project.

P-WRC suspension. 60 mm MCA. 6 minutes 35 for both to be removed. We need to get it under five minutes. Another impact driver and also changing some procedures will do it. So yes, even tho the shocks need rebuilding, we're practicing service park procedures two months out fromt he WRC round in Coffs Harbour.

Also, who wants a WRC Bad Boys sticker? 20 bucks, help fund the 06 STI's last hurrah 17-20 November. If it survives it'll be time to move on as it'll no longer be eligible for the WRC and thence we are looking to go to something else and thence it's The WRC Tank's Last Stand. Might even be our last time at the WRC so yeah... this is the max effort event for us.

The WRC Bad Boys - getting steward fined and adding to the Officials drinks bank account 1000 Euros a time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Those taillights on the Forester are from the facelift model which means it's a 2001+?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also, who wants a WRC Bad Boys sticker? 20 bucks, help fund the 06 STI's last hurrah 17-20 November. If it survives it'll be time to move on as it'll no longer be eligible for the WRC and thence we are looking to go to something else and thence it's The WRC Tank's Last Stand. Might even be our last time at the WRC so yeah... this is the max effort event for us.

The WRC Bad Boys - getting steward fined and adding to the Officials drinks bank account 1000 Euros a time.

Come to targa and show the porsches how it's done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Those taillights on the Forester are from the facelift model which means it's a 2001+?

Given the previous owner bought it in 1999... not a chance :)

It has had a broken tail light in its time

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Fly me there and I'll fix all your wirings. I'm trying to trade my Forester S for random cars, it's the backup car and the most boring adjustable shock LSD rear short geared car ever. It does have a WRX shift knob and a SOHC Ej20 from some JDM importers junk pile, so who knows...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I miss my Forester ahh. Is it geared that short stock or did you change something? I had an auto. :(

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Someone has been watching the hidraulik press shannel, I take it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Vat de faaaaaak?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Chiwie posted:

I may ride a Ducati, but I have my Latte sipping limits!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Fly me there and I'll fix all your wirings. I'm trying to trade my Forester S for random cars, it's the backup car and the most boring adjustable shock LSD rear short geared car ever. It does have a WRX shift knob and a SOHC Ej20 from some JDM importers junk pile, so who knows...

Got a passport?

Computer viking posted:

Ya. Lets begin.

(Beyond the Press is better. They do some great stuff when not crushing poo poo :D )

Chiwie posted:

I'm hopeful a Forester may turn out Porsche style fast.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Got a passport?

I do, so let me know. :q:

As I remember, I owe you a steak dinner...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

I do, so let me know. :q:

As I remember, I owe you a steak dinner...

I wonder if we can get you out here for the WRC...... 17th - 20th November

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I wonder if we can get you out here for the WRC...... 17th - 20th November

On the PWRC side of the garage ....

Not too much happening besides I just dropped big dollars on a STi plated front diff. Arrives in 2 weeks so I guess I need to remove the gearbox.

Insert swearing.

And the rear shocks are nice and clean. All ready for a service and spunky new STI spherical strut tops!!!

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/posts/10153987059278723:0

Anyone feel like like milking and sending a post viral so I can get free Monster energy??

(Is linking Facebook pictures a naughty??)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

Insert swearing.

Easier than drum brakes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

You're doing the Australian Hell-God's work, son.

Your market ever get the Saab 9-2X?