Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Your market ever get the Saab 9-2X?
No, we didn't. But we did get the first gen Impreza WRX, so we got the better deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

What void are you trying to fill?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

What void are you trying to fill?

I dont know but I honestly feel happy working on them . Like as in Hey I'm banging a hot chick happy.

ANNNNND looks like I've been beaten - 500 bucks for a Liberty with a head gasket issue was stupid cheap, someone basically drove there and cashed him. I had arranged to pickup Saturday. drat it, I wouldnt mind a nice Liberty wagon.

*shrug* Oh well. We'll see what the next car I get a hold of is because that's kinda likely recently.

EDIT : drat it yeah sold. gently caress. That sucks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 22, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, eventually your're going to run out of room.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I mean, eventually your're going to run out of room.

I can fit three cars out the front, one under the balcony, two in the garage, 5 in the driveway and about 30 in the backyard.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Next episode, on Hoarders.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iwentdoodie posted:

Next episode, on Hoarders.

"THE SUBARUS NEED TO BE SAVED! IF I DON'T DO IT, NO ONE WILL!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can fit three cars out the front, one under the balcony, two in the garage, 5 in the driveway and about 30 in the backyard.

I said eventually.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

"THE SUBARUS NEED TO BE SAVED! IF I DON'T DO IT, NO ONE WILL!"

They just looked so sad out there in the yard not getting fixed I had to do it I had to

- We talked to your childhood friend. Does this have anything to do with Colin McRae's death?

NO I WON'T LOSE ANOTHER I CAN'T

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

They just looked so sad out there in the yard not getting fixed I had to do it I had to

- We talked to your childhood friend. Does this have anything to do with Colin McRae's death?

NO I WON'T LOSE ANOTHER I CAN'T

It's not Colin McRae but the the original 555 Imprezas left a lasting lust for Subarus. Not hard to understand as the 555 Imprezas were the most spectacular cars either side of ten years - the noise was stunning, the way they danced, the acrobatics.... and it was basically a car you could buy. So yes, I would love to do a 555 clone.

Also own a 22B. There's two cars I've always wanted to drive - the first is a 22B and the second is a F40. Let me tell you, the 22B absolutely 100% lives up to it's reputation. It's a stunning drivers car, it's fast and of course it looks mean as gently caress. I still want to drive an F40. But I can aspire to a 22B.

In the meantime, fixing unloved Subarus sounds like a good money pit to me

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So many Subaru Rally drivers died during the late 90s and early 2000s

Possum Bourne
Colin McRae
Richard Burns

:smith:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Already a fan from the Legacy RS days, one day one of the local dealers near me had a jap import WRX for sale with full 555 livery, I would have done literally anything for it, but as a 17yo kid I had no chance, but I did sit in it at least.

Hell they were so popular thanks to Possum being a local Subaru hero they even started selling 555 cigs here, which they never did prior.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I have entered a motorsport event in the red NA Forester.

Oh this is gonna be slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

(Baselining it before it get torn apart and becomes a sleeper)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been like 24 hours since you bought a car, you okay?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What motor does it have? I had the 2.5L 165hp and thought that was plenty.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm having buying withdrawals :(

CharlesM posted:

What motor does it have? I had the 2.5L 165hp and thought that was plenty.

2.0L NA. More like 92KW and it's also 17 years old so it'll have lost some power too

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not Colin McRae but the the original 555 Imprezas left a lasting lust for Subarus. Not hard to understand as the 555 Imprezas were the most spectacular cars either side of ten years - the noise was stunning, the way they danced, the acrobatics.... and it was basically a car you could buy. So yes, I would love to do a 555 clone.

Also own a 22B. There's two cars I've always wanted to drive - the first is a 22B and the second is a F40. Let me tell you, the 22B absolutely 100% lives up to it's reputation. It's a stunning drivers car, it's fast and of course it looks mean as gently caress. I still want to drive an F40. But I can aspire to a 22B.

In the meantime, fixing unloved Subarus sounds like a good money pit to me

One of the guys who has the Mazda dealership in Medlow Bath got a 22B recently, I hadn't thought about those in years until he pulled up outside my work and I instantly recognised it. Such a cool cool car

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

TRACK DAY IN THE FORESTER BRO

What a truly awful car for the track and autocross. What a awesomely hilarious car to track day bro and autocross - sweeping in with huuuuuge understeer and door handles on the ground, transfer into a full opposite drift and trottling the Forester as the inside wheels are picked up and it actually began to burn rubber on it's mighty 80isk KW of 18 year old 2 litre NA Forester fury before gently settling back into line while three cars have passed me in the space of 100 meters. Utterly flat stick at 160 kph and I get my doors sucked off by a GT3 passing at a good 70 kph faster. Brake deulling a Alfa and winning as the legendary grip Bridgestone used condom rubber it has squeals in protest. Spraying water on concrete as the handbrake somehow works.

The Forester is an utter riot. Slowest car by some margin but who cares?

Two weeks time - Tow car grudge match - The red Forester vs the worked AWD V8 Adventra. Two ton of V8 brutality vs .... uhhh.... yeah I'm gonna lose this one badly. But will I go under 19 secs?????

(Probably not)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I wonder if we can get you out here for the WRC...... 17th - 20th November

Oh man, I'd love that. I'm sure I could make it happen!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Oh man, I'd love that. I'm sure I could make it happen!

Free accomodation - any one else that wants to be part of a WRC service crew, we need the warm bodies

I've always believed that before modifying, find out what you got to work out your best direction

Awful. Just awful. However also hilariously fun, especially later as the handbrake started to come good. It's now also been on the track and next week we go drag race in a battle of the family tow cars - NA Forester vs Holden Avendra LS1 AWD that's been reflashed and cold air intaked. Yeahhh..... I'm gonna get flattened.

I've never been a fan of the USA trend of sway bar for fixing suspension issues (Because sway bars are for final chassis tuning, they dont fix fundamental flaws and they do NOT fix geometry. Anyone that says that needs a clue hit) but I can def say this car needs at least 19mm and badly - the stock ones are a joke. So that's first for the moment to get some sort of body control until the coilovers are rebuilt and ready. I suspect big bars will match the suspension well.

Tyres. Ummm.... yeah. Stock M+S Bridgestones just dont work. Kinda wondering there what to get.

Brakes - not 100% decided. Anyone got some they might want to sell off?

Also I'll get some good diffs in - I feel that again, it'll respond well to them.

So yes, awful beyond belief to race but in all honestly, it's a car that becomes clear will repsond incredibly well to any mods I throw at it. I was surprised it can and does drift at full lock as much as the underpowered motor and sad 347,000km diffs allow for. Also the ssuspensionpresently..... well yeah that's also 347,000kms old.

Main thing is that I can see the potential and I nearly have everything. I do need the 04 XT dashboard and body / dash harness if anyone knows where to get it.

Rhyno posted:

We did look into a 95 WRX this week but it's 1000kms away.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Free accomodation - any one else that wants to be part of a WRC service crew, we need the warm bodies

I've always believed that before modifying, find out what you got to work out your best direction

Awful. Just awful. However also hilariously fun, especially later as the handbrake started to come good. It's now also been on the track and next week we go drag race in a battle of the family tow cars - NA Forester vs Holden Avendra LS1 AWD that's been reflashed and cold air intaked. Yeahhh..... I'm gonna get flattened.

I've never been a fan of the USA trend of sway bar for fixing suspension issues (Because sway bars are for final chassis tuning, they dont fix fundamental flaws and they do NOT fix geometry. Anyone that says that needs a clue hit) but I can def say this car needs at least 19mm and badly - the stock ones are a joke. So that's first for the moment to get some sort of body control until the coilovers are rebuilt and ready. I suspect big bars will match the suspension well.

Tyres. Ummm.... yeah. Stock M+S Bridgestones just dont work. Kinda wondering there what to get.

Brakes - not 100% decided. Anyone got some they might want to sell off?

Also I'll get some good diffs in - I feel that again, it'll respond well to them.

So yes, awful beyond belief to race but in all honestly, it's a car that becomes clear will repsond incredibly well to any mods I throw at it. I was surprised it can and does drift at full lock as much as the underpowered motor and sad 347,000km diffs allow for. Also the ssuspensionpresently..... well yeah that's also 347,000kms old.

Main thing is that I can see the potential and I nearly have everything. I do need the 04 XT dashboard and body / dash harness if anyone knows where to get it.

We did look into a 95 WRX this week but it's 1000kms away.

I will see if I can make a WRC mechanic vacation to AUS work. Because I'm lazy, what are the dates again?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

17-20 November

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Parts accquired - 04 XT dashboard (filthy as gently caress.... and interestingly, it fits on the back seat of a Commodore with room to spare. Foresters are startlingly small cars... or are Comodores funcking huge?

Also have a turbo radiator, some suspension and a few other bits I needed. Now only left is the under dash loom / body loom. Basically, I'm trying to make the sleeper as easy as possible - the MY99 gets turned into a 04 XT with some more punch and less weight. On the Lets Buy Another Subaru front.......

I dont need spare parts anymore, so I'm mulling over something "nice" like the GT to fix and get going as a daily for myself. I've got my eye on two cars - both Subarus of course but.... well the usual Oh God why do I even will be posted if I decide to go get one or the other. One is a model I've always wanted since I test drove it, the other is a project that's really cool but will need a fair few spares to finish.

or maybe not. Ther'es a lot of work to go in the next six weeks and the GT is no 1 - I hope to have the engine back in tomorow.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lots of things fit in a Commodore. Amazing how small a Forester actually is.

So... today. Needed alcohol. Just not my day.

1) Windage tray bolt went AWOL and its a "Did it go into the motor or not????" Cant see it in there and it didnt rattle out when I turned the motor over.... that's got me worried.

2)

Yeah... that's not gonna be fun to fix. Helicoil needed.

3)

OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress I THINK I JUST poo poo MYSELF.... and it turns out to be a goanna. Man seieng that head really did frighten the gently caress out of me, I thought it was a lot worse. Cause I do literally live where you know as well as Funnel Webs and drop bears, Death Adders, Brown and Tiger snakes hang out. You know, for when the Eastern Taipan wasnt deadly enough and the black snake isnt about.

So.... yeah nothing went according to plan and I'm having a super rare alcohol. But I did drive the 06 WRX about ....... it's breaking in nicely.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sealing the motor almost done - just the cam covers to go. We'll replace some of the hoses, get the turbo on, do the timing belt and idlers then...... TV in the garage, wathcing Bathurst and put it back where it should be.

Question for me now is - TD035 or TD04? I know the differences but I wonder if the stock ECU will handle it? We're not reflashing for a few months but I hear the TD04 just adds a bit more snap to the GT. Stock exhaust for now as well, i know i will have to reflash when that's on.

But TBH I'm only interested in ever say gaining about 10-15Kw.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Annnnd of course not much has gone right. The inlet was taken off because the inlet pipe was found to be broken and..... yeah it just decended into chaos from there.

Update coming now we have the ilusuion of righting this sinking ship. Oh annnnnnnnnd....... anyone in Melbourne able to have a look at something for us?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Catching up on the thread and you're saying the Forester was fun to autocross? I feel the same way about my bone stock mk3 Supra. I took it to a sprint track which we rented and while not the slowest car there it rolled like a motherfucking boat in a storm whilst cornering. Hilarious fun. The suspension needs work doing to it so I'm considering coilovers but then it won't be as crap/fun. :/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annnnd of course not much has gone right. The inlet was taken off because the inlet pipe was found to be broken and..... yeah it just decended into chaos from there.

Update coming now we have the ilusuion of righting this sinking ship. Oh annnnnnnnnd....... anyone in Melbourne able to have a look at something for us?

Yeah those always do that. And it's a bad spot to have a leak since you get unmetered air and melted pistons.

And definitely use the bigger/newer turbo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Special delivery!

So.... where was I? Oh yeah

Things went pear shaped. I found a few gaskets that I didnt have repacements for soooooo I had to order those, had to get a few hoses, Subaru are loving hopeless so eventually just used an EBay store and got what I wanted,...

Cleared the garage of RX7 so I could have a free spot to get things done (And didnt do much for two weeks waiting for parts)

Turned the GT around to make it easier to get the motor back in

"Fixed" a few broken bits with Epoxy

ANNNNNNNND then spotted the inlet pipe was hosed beyond repair. So off came the inlet manifold, cut the inlet pipe off and am waiting to get a new(ish) one. So while that was off, decided to have a look at the water crossover pipe's O-Rings, I heard they are a good thing to replace as a matter of course

Oh. Yeah. That's not good

And that's even worse. Well poo poo, turns out the O-Rings were weeping and the bolts had corroded. Despite how long it took to get the broken bolt out and hte further setback, I'm glad I did that as the motor's life would have been short, the O-Rings were plainly dead.

A bunch of cleaning and checking the block thread are good.....

Here's where I am today. Timing belt on, cam wheels torqued up, crossover back on, exhaust on, TD04 on, timing belt on, new tensioners and idlers, water feeds for the turbo on.

So tomorrow's cardboard list -

1) Exhaust heat shields
2) Inlet mainfold
3) Turbo oil feeds
4) Oil filter
5) Final does the engine turn over freely check
6) Final visual check
7) Clean engine bay
8) Engine back in
9) Starter motor
10) Oil pressure test

If I get oil pressure - then it's full steam ahead for a restart.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 30, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh, that picture reminds me, this is a thing that exists:

http://turninconcepts.com/tic-fu-cam-bolt-kit-non-avcs.html

So if you have an issue with those cam bolts there is a better replacement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The crossover o-rings won't kill a motor, will they? Mine has always leaked a very teensy tiny amount since I've had it. It's mostly old crusted-up coolant around the crossover.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

The crossover o-rings won't kill a motor, will they? Mine has always leaked a very teensy tiny amount since I've had it. It's mostly old crusted-up coolant around the crossover.

Hah, it's probably just another leak for the coolant conditioner to seal up...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Probably not but the bolts will be demonic to remove when you replace them.

So....... first job of the day is fixing the dent in the rear bumper. A bunch of body clips, a few bolts, screws and still wouldnt come off so found on the Interwebs I might need to remove the tailgohts. Three prick bolts ot get to and then levering off the lights. No screwdrivers required, bike tyre levers make great panel tools

[timg]http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2016/10/30/20161030014033-640e1fd3-xx.jpg[/timg

Lights off, found the hurdle, remove bumper. Found a use for duct tape

Heat gun, lots of pressure annnnd - not perfect but it's good enough to pass road worthy inspection

Exhaust heat shields back on, turbo on, a few other bits annnd....

Another helper, a bit of finesse, a bot of swearning and....

Back in!

The WRC Subaru is ready to go for it's final trip to the WRC as well

So here we now stand on the GT.....

10) All done that I wanted apart from oil pressure test! Even a few more bits bolted on so I'm calling today a big success. Timing belt is back off as we're going to put a new one on, idlers switched to new ones as well, newish spark plugs as well.

List for the week -

1) Timing belt
2) Timing belt covers
3) Turbo inlet - still need to get one. That might become an issue
4) Rest of exhaust.
5) Check inelt mainfold bolts
6) Main pulley - Also dont have so I'll need to find one
7) Other belts
8) Water hoses
9) Clip back in electricals
10) Front of engine accessories.

Somewhere in there, oil pressure test, then go for a engine start maaaaaybe next Saturday?

Also will need to fix the dent in the front bumper.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Wait, bumper dents will fail you in an inspection there?

How the hell do you have any Camry's on the road?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Wait, bumper dents will fail you in an inspection there?

How the hell do you have any Camry's on the road?

A normal "pink" inspection wont (unless the damage is more meaningful" ) so Camrys are safeish

What we need to pass tho is a "Blue" inspection with is much more detailed and they will fail you for dents. A Pink inspection is basic road worthy (A car can be illegal but still fine to safely drive), Blue is road legal (Must pass all laws). It's basically still a local garage for either for mechanics suitiably licensed.

You also have Pit inspection. Which you do not want at all because this is a defect clearence and you get emission / noise tested by the RTA and you go to the local RTA (RTA= DMV) pit bay inspection - they do not gently caress around, your car gets the short back and sides inspection and they will fail you on sneezing wrong. I did Pit years ago for a rally car that was to gain a engineering cert and it is as brutal and nerve wrecking as you could imagine. However the one good thing about Pit / Engineered is that you pass that, no cop can touch you with your mods. The look on the cop's face when you pull out the paperwork and say sweetly "Hi, is there a problem?"

There's a perception cars cant be modded in Aust - well actually not true. You just have to prove it with an engineering inspection. Eventually the red Forester when it gets swapped will go to a Engineer and then paperworked properly, esp as it should be well over double stock Kw.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Do you have like a huge number of mechanical engineers who don't have jobs and instead subsist entirely on visiting the garages of drift tards, nodding sagely inside the vape clouds and going "maybe weld together that homemade steering knuckle?"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Do you have like a huge number of mechanical engineers who don't have jobs and instead subsist entirely on visiting the garages of drift tards, nodding sagely inside the vape clouds and going "maybe weld together that homemade steering knuckle?"

Imagine a man that looks like 14 INCH DICK. Now imagine him physically 30 years older but also with all the hate and loathing for lowered full sik Skylines and WRX's a man can have, a daughter whose husband he doesnt approve of as he came from "over there", smelling of cheap beer and stale cigarettes, eyes red with hate of the world, peering at the wavering youth who has come to him to have their worthless POS car passed, muttering under his breath about how Pauline Hanson is gonna sweep those shitheads from Australia and how his wife is presently sucking down the winning from the horses laced with alcohol and despair.

A man whose dearest wish that the useless cunts would be thrown into the army to teach em how to be a real man, just like he did. A man who lives on to spite the world, who gets up and farts at it in definace at the march of time. He calls himself a real man, he has pinups on his wall alongside his tools and a cut in half Coke bottle as his ashtray. A man that gives no fucks about "them pooftahs and their OHAS bullshit". He is racist, sexist and he hates them gays but loves his Lesbian porn and he dont give no fucks

And that's your average NSW automotive Engineer. You bring one of them drift cars to him, he'll look over his glasses and you just know he's about to slowly reach for the largest spanner in the workshop and shove it up your rear end for daring to bring something other than a HQ Monaro with a 454 as Cold Chisel blares from the 40 year old stereo tape deck.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A normal "pink" inspection wont (unless the damage is more meaningful" ) so Camrys are safeish

What we need to pass tho is a "Blue" inspection with is much more detailed and they will fail you for dents. A Pink inspection is basic road worthy (A car can be illegal but still fine to safely drive), Blue is road legal (Must pass all laws). It's basically still a local garage for either for mechanics suitiably licensed.

You also have Pit inspection. Which you do not want at all because this is a defect clearence and you get emission / noise tested by the RTA and you go to the local RTA (RTA= DMV) pit bay inspection - they do not gently caress around, your car gets the short back and sides inspection and they will fail you on sneezing wrong. I did Pit years ago for a rally car that was to gain a engineering cert and it is as brutal and nerve wrecking as you could imagine. However the one good thing about Pit / Engineered is that you pass that, no cop can touch you with your mods. The look on the cop's face when you pull out the paperwork and say sweetly "Hi, is there a problem?"

There's a perception cars cant be modded in Aust - well actually not true. You just have to prove it with an engineering inspection. Eventually the red Forester when it gets swapped will go to a Engineer and then paperworked properly, esp as it should be well over double stock Kw.

Pfft, just get it registered in Victoria, we don't care about that poo poo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'd say you wont believe this...... but.....

*sigh*

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Had been leaning towards a 05 body style Legacy GT for my next car, but I'm kinda liking the gt Fozzy.