Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really liked Fallout 1 and 2, but Wasteland 2 feels lifeless to me. Also I feel like the radiation walls and the water mechanic is just a bandaid for extremely poor world map design but maybe I'm wrong. And it's cool when RPGs have lots of useful skills but Wasteland 2 has like, too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

it was the first game of its genre that i played (crpg? wha?) and i just thought they were all like that and the genre just wasn't for me but then i played pillars of eternity and that game is epic and wasteland 2 is dog poo poo

Pillars of Eternity is really good but it just makes me want to play Baldur's Gate instead lol. I should really play through PoE.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alain Post posted:

I kind of have to stick with the tactical combat ones because my brain isn't wired to play RT+P games (or RTS games.) Controlling my party in like, BG2 feels like controlling the guy in QWOP to me.

I only managed to beat the game by soloing it with a wizard and getting a bunch of magic equipment really early through judicious use of invis spells.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

program666 posted:

so many good answers, too bad about wasteland 2 huh? I should probably try some day regardless but for now I'll go fallout 1 then age of decadence. How is the best way to play fallout 1? getting a copy from GOG then using some mod?

I think it's fun to get stacked int and charisma because there are perks to let you use bigger guns than your strength allows. I think I usually take 5 or 6 strength? I usually dump Endurance and Luck. But the magic of FO1 is pretty much any build can beat the game as long as you know how to play to your strengths.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaulMorel posted:

Why don't you play fallout as you would play any other game. just relax and play, no need for builds or advices. just relax. it's a easy game. relax and play.

Thats what I was trying to say; builds in that game don't really matter

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

program666 posted:

Oh, I don't care for builds, I was just wondering if there is a mod that fix fo1 problems or something, like the restoration mod for fo2.

I can't even remember any quest bugs off the top of my head. FO2 had a lot more of that stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're retarded if you didn't think laser and plasma guns or miniguns and bazookas were going to be straight up better than lovely regular guns

Anyway a few of the small guns in FO1 and a whole bunch more in FO2 are extremely good at armor piercing which makes them better than energy/big guns in some cases. Also perks can help if you are determined to be retarded and not put points into energy/big guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

01011001 posted:

i don't even care about that part so much as the fact that you can tag skills you actively can't use until the second half of the game

IDK man I beat the game on my first playthrough no problems without ever reading anything besides the manual so IDK why you guys think its such a horrible newbie trap or whatever.

• Locked thread