Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

gently caress I'm kinda really down that the Liberal Party can get away with raising the GST without a fuss but the ALP couldn't get away with a simple and compensated price on Carbon.

What the gently caress, Australia??????????

Which party is the Murdoch press in the tank for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They haven't technically announced it yet, they've just let Murdoch leak it to test the waters. I don't think it'll go down quite as easily as Sunday long-weekend-in-Victoria press coverage would lead you to believe.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-01/government-describes-reports-gst-rise-as-speculation/6903126

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Isn't the GST a great big tax on everything?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

gently caress I'm kinda really down that the Liberal Party can get away with raising the GST without a fuss but the ALP couldn't get away with a simple and compensated price on Carbon.

What industry and media conglomerate is paying huge stacks of cash to piss in the well of public opinion?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

Isn't the GST a great big tax on everything?

No, next question please

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't care. the argument that we should pay more should always be a tooth and nail battle and it shouldn't be as simply as tossing a few million in the Herald Sun and riding the wave on the corpse of the middle class.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

On one hand, this will encourage state governments to increase the amount of money people are spending on consumption. On the other, it will also increase the notional cost of a helmet for riding a bike. Tough one really.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I don't care. the argument that we should pay more should always be a tooth and nail battle and it shouldn't be as simply as tossing a few million in the Herald Sun and riding the wave on the corpse of the middle class.

have you considered that perhaps the country is fukt, mate

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So is Australia still going to hell in a handbasket because Turnbull sucks only slightly less than Abbot, and because China won't stop imploding fiscally?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Goddamned it.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
How about this, you can only talk about raising the GST if you also talk about what you'll pay for when you raise the GST.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The answer is Coal Mines and gently caress You.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

How about this, you can only talk about raising the GST if you also talk about what you'll pay for when you raise the GST.

Income tax breaks

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

katlington posted:

Income tax breaks

Awesome, so we can use the money we're gonna get from the tax cuts to buy more things!

...That are higher price because of the GST hike. Welp.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

So is Australia still going to hell in a handbasket because Turnbull sucks only slightly less than Abbot, and because China won't stop imploding fiscally?

We could survive one maybe, but not both.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

It's true, they've completely gotten away with it without anybody noticing or caring.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's true, they've completely gotten away with it without anybody noticing or caring.

I woke up this morning and the gst was 100% and nobody said a fuckim thing what the gently caress m8

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I woke up this morning and the gst was 100% and nobody said a fuckim thing what the gently caress m8

He would still win the election.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

turnbull could murder a man in cold blood on live television the day before the election and would still win against bill shorten

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BBJoey posted:

turnbull could murder a man in cold blood on live television the day before the election and would still win against bill shorten

The murdered man would still poll higher than Shorten. No matter who it was. Hell, if you asked me my preferred PM between Turnbull, Shorten and a desiccated corpse I'd probably pick the corpse.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Could probably enforce the taxes we already have before raising the GST.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taxes for some, miniature Australian flags for others.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BBJoey posted:

Kinda puts a different spin on Bill Hayden's "Drover's Dog" quote

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The media has spent a year or so preparing the public for "we need more money for health care and public transport and we don't enough of it". Act I is now complete.

Act II is getting the public fooled into thinking a higher GST will solve all our problems and anyone else who is NOT YOU personally might be harmed by it, but YOU personally will get a TAX CUT and those poor people who are most defiantly NOT YOU will get the harsh treatment THEY deserve.

Act III is winning the election, increasing the GST and rewarding big business who backed Turnball.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god the new three word slogan is work, save, invest because we can't treat voters like adults.

Also surely a GST hike would reduce demand somewhat. Not good when we are heading for recession.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Comstar posted:

Act III is winning the election, increasing the GST and rewarding big business who backed Turnbull.

And then a major recession comes and fucks it all up. poo poo has a way of happening. They probably think a downturn will help with the divide and conquer game, but it could easily go the other way and backfire. Like the government of the last two years, winning the election is a pyrrhic victory and everyone loses.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

And then a major recession comes and fucks it all up. poo poo has a way of happening. They probably think a downturn will help with the divide and conquer game, but it could easily go the other way and backfire. Like the government of the last two years, winning the election is a pyrrhic victory and everyone loses.

Humanity is a game of diminishing returns.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Also surely a GST hike would reduce demand somewhat. Not good when we are heading for recession.
now c'mon mate one step at a time here, we can't predict the future, let's just raise the GST first and we'll see what happens afterwards alright?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
So in order to offset the GST hike they'll increase concessions to low income earners and the unemployed?

Can't wait for the inevitable uproar over those filthy dole bludgers (AKA me) rorting the system.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MaliciousOnion posted:

So in order to offset the GST hike they'll increase concessions to low income earners and the unemployed?

lol

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Kyrgyzstan is lovely this time of year

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Have we tried kill all the poor and raise the GST?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What's the point of tax breaks for low income earners if for the next six months their already on the edge grocery bills go up? Wow, it'll be great in July/August when we get an extra ten bucks back, shame I've gone without toilet paper since January.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What's the point of tax breaks for low income earners if for the next six months their already on the edge grocery bills go up? Wow, it'll be great in July/August when we get an extra ten bucks back, shame I've gone without toilet paper since January.

I guess the theory is they'll also play around with the income tax rates, but with the 0% limit already at $18k, the really low income groups aren't paying much tax to start with, so that will make bugger all difference.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder if they are heartless enough to raise the GST but not raise New start?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

We're not going to raise taxes just to give the leaners another handout! We've got to take the sugar off the table! *pensioners nod along wisely*

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Count on it, Newstart folks will just get a once off supplement. Akin to labours the stimulus package and carbon tax offsets.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The stimulus extended to newstart will be a cut. Think of it as a stimulus to lift.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They're not going to give low income earners tax breaks.

Also Turnbull is getting rid of knights and dames. Smart move, makes idiot swing voters and labor voters caught up in the cult of mal think he is undoing Abbotts damage without doing anything to the policies which actually gently caress up the country and world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"maybe the Liberals will make it easier for poor people to recieve welfare in compensation for regressive taxes"

-nobody, ever (et.al)

• Locked thread