Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Negligent posted:

if hitler died would you feel sad y/n

this is relevant because reasons

Have you really gone straight to hitler? The man in the high castle is an awesome show btw.

It's relevant because they ran this country for 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Starshark posted:

Certainly nothing arbitrary about what the Catholic Church, religious institutions, and 'other moral authorities' have to say about morality, no sir. I can see you did well in your Phil 101 class.

i was asked about the ethics of drug taking and p much all of the authorities are of the view that drugs=bad

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Negligent posted:

i was asked about the ethics of drug taking and p much all of the authorities are of the view that drugs=bad

There's literally a logical fallacy called 'appeal to authority' how can you be this loving dumb.

E: The churches derive their authority from books of made-up poo poo I mean how low can you go?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

i mean yeah there are lolbertarian nutbags like milton friedman who want to legalise drugs but hes not saying drug taking is ethical per se

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Starshark posted:

There's literally a logical fallacy called 'appeal to authority' how can you be this loving dumb.

E: The churches derive their authority from books of made-up poo poo I mean how low can you go?

my position is that drug taking is unethical and the balance of authorities supports that proposition. the fact that drug use is prohibited by both state and religious sanction is irrefutable proof that drug use is unethical by prevailing community standards.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

negligent can you explain from base philosophical principles why drugs are unethical

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ok, laws against drugs prove that the 'prevailing community standard' is that drugs are unethical. by the same logic, was the holocaust ethical due to 'prevailing community standards' that were indifferent at worst and greatly supportive at best?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

BBJoey posted:

negligent can you explain from base philosophical principles why drugs are unethical

unethical = bad

drugs = bad

drugs = unethical

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

BBJoey posted:

ok, laws against drugs prove that the 'prevailing community standard' is that drugs are unethical. by the same logic, was the holocaust ethical due to 'prevailing community standards' that were indifferent at worst and greatly supportive at best?

the nazi state may have laws that reflected the ethical standards of germany but the jews themselves probably werent in favour of the holocaust and judaism is a religion that is anti drugs.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yes but by the same token drug users aren't in favour of drug laws and likely subscribe to a philosophy that is not anti-drug. after all you said yourself it is the authorities who decide what is moral.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

no i didnt. im talking about ethics and its not interchangeable with morality.

the views of drug users are of a minority compared to the prevailing ethical standards supported by law (an embodiment of what the state thinks is ethical) and religious standards subscribed to by a large plurality of the community.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you swap in 'jews' for 'drug users' in that last paragraph your argument can be used to call the holocaust ethical, just fyi

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Negligent posted:

the views of drug users are of a minority compared to the prevailing ethical standards supported by law (an embodiment of what the state thinks is ethical) and religious standards subscribed to by a large plurality of the community.

Minorities don't count. You know it. I know it. When will they learn.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

not really

the nazi state passed laws that were discriminatory but hitler notoriously avoided putting anything in writing about the holocaust. in addition you can easily argue that there was a disconnect between the non-democratic nazi state and its people such that its laws werent representative of the prevailing ethical standards. whereas in australia we have a democratic state where laws generally are legitimately representative.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

not really

the nazi state passed laws that were discriminatory but hitler notoriously avoided putting anything in writing about the holocaust. in addition you can easily argue that there was a disconnect between the non-democratic nazi state and its people such that its laws werent representative of the prevailing ethical standards. whereas in australia we have a democratic state where laws generally are legitimately representative.

As demonstrated by the current laws on gay marriage.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

As demonstrated by the current laws on gay marriage.

the key word is current, community attitudes shift over time and just because there is a temporal lag doesnt mean the laws are unrepresentative generally.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negligent posted:

So in ten years time when Cannabis is legal in Australia -going off the trends in the poll http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6026-how-australians-feel-about-marijuana-201501272145 and what other similar countries have been doing- then suddenly it will suddenly becomes moral?

your definition or morality sounds far more like sociality peer pressure then a well thought out system of principles designed to tell right from wrong.

Also all the cool kids do drugs :350:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negligent posted:

the key word is current, community attitudes shift over time and just because there is a temporal lag doesnt mean the laws are unrepresentative generally.

Laws are a horrible, horrible way to define morality. Your basically arguing morality is dependent on what country your in. Oh poo poo I just took a flight and now suddenly its moral for me to stone someone to death for sodomy. Yay for having loving well thought out principles on how to live my life and treat my fellow people.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What if you OD on legal drugs, is that good or bad?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

dr_rat posted:

Laws are a horrible, horrible way to define morality. Your basically arguing morality is dependent on what country your in. Oh poo poo I just took a flight and now suddenly its moral for me to stone someone to death for sodomy. Yay for having loving well thought out principles on how to live my life and treat my fellow people.

He already said anyone that gets stoned deserves to die, keep up

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

dr_rat posted:

So in ten years time when Cannabis is legal in Australia -going off the trends in the poll http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6026-how-australians-feel-about-marijuana-201501272145 and what other similar countries have been doing- then suddenly it will suddenly becomes moral?

your definition or morality sounds far more like sociality peer pressure then a well thought out system of principles designed to tell right from wrong.

Also all the cool kids do drugs :350:

you are dumb

Negligent posted:

im talking about ethics and its not interchangeable with morality.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

dr_rat posted:

you are dumb part 2

Negligent posted:

im talking about ethics and its not interchangeable with morality.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Come on guys, he's not even trying. At least make him work to troll you.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Apparently a fuckin' secret Romanov just died in Katherine

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-30/russian-royal-kulikovsky-farewelled-in-darwin-after-dying-alone/6984476

Royalty's a pretty strong word, that they keep using, considering the events of the last hundred years, and that he died with only a dog friend in a caravan park [knock on wood]

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 30, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Good dog

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stop biting you goddamn idiots.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
just fuckin lol if you didn't touch fuzzy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Birdstrike posted:

just fuckin lol if you didn't touch fuzzy

Greatest level. Greatest game.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Australia Government are buying the Ocean Protector that they had on hire for border operations.

Vessels like that do not come cheap. More money thrown into the fire to "stop the boats"

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

AgentF posted:

Sorry to hear it. I suppose we'll just have to have a gaming Goon meet when you get better :)

After waking up, I feel well enough to go now, just with a very course voice.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Part 2! Peta! Woo!

http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/2015/Shirtfronted/PartTwoPeta.html

Somebody's excited!

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Negligent posted:

society is objectively better off when drug users overdose and die

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU
Now I know why everyone has you on their ignore list.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent's probably smoking weed right now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Then Abbott got on the blower," says Mitchell. "He rang me about 10 minutes after my response to Credlin.

"He asked me why I'd object to Peta's request to sack Niki when I had sacked Glenn Milne [an earlier columnist at The Australian] at Julia Gillard's request. I explained to him that that wasn't what had happened."

Abbott denies asking for Savva's sacking, but Mitchell says that was exactly the interpretation he'd put on the prime minister's call.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

open24hours posted:

Negligent's probably smoking weed right now.

nah there are laws against that

nothing on the books about paint huffing though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
He gets high on trolling easy targets. I'm guessing he's OD'd by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Then Abbott got on the blower," says Mitchell. "He rang me about 10 minutes after my response to Credlin.

"He asked me why I'd object to Peta's request to sack Niki when I had sacked Glenn Milne [an earlier columnist at The Australian] at Julia Gillard's request. I explained to him that that wasn't what had happened."

Abbott denies asking for Savva's sacking, but Mitchell says that was exactly the interpretation he'd put on the prime minister's call.

It's fun seeing the Coalition supporters who don't want Abbott back salt the loving earth.

• Locked thread