Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Do hunt saboteurs bother with pheasant shoots or do they only care about cute cuddly foxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

This is where it starts to come out that most of UKMT actually meets at pheasant shoots at the weekend.

If pheasants end up in our freezer it's through accidental opportunism, not shooting thankfully.
Or at least not shooting on our part, our part of the Highlands does have something of a barter economy when it comes to food. Coming home to a huge sack full of mostly still alive prawns at the backdoor as payment for photocopying is a weird, if tasty, occurrence.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

I was gonna say, it's not like British history isn't full of being invaded and settled by foreigners.

It's one of the things that bugs me most about the 'IMMIGRANTS GO HOME' bullshit. Unless you can trace and unbroken, unpolluted line of descent back to the Celtic peoples, YOU are a loving immigrant's descendant too. Hell, even the Celts walked here across a land bridge.

Tell that to the Beaker people.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Do hunt saboteurs bother with pheasant shoots or do they only care about cute cuddly foxes.

Foxes only. But if you want to be the "in" crowd you have to call them "antis". Fox hunting is insanely boring but if you ride it's just about the only thing you can do that isn't some derpy poo poo like dressage so all the horsey people converge on it like a nightmarish swarm of fetlocks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SurrealityCheck posted:

This is profoundly poor form and in any orderly shoot he would be hung drawn and quartered etc never point gun bla bla bla shooting stuff
"Never point your gun at anything you wouldn't mind being destroyed."

And given the mentality of the landed rich, he probably wasn't. They're only windows and cornices and staff, you can get new ones. Just keep away from the paintings and titty engravings.

feedmegin posted:

Tell that to the Beaker people.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Foxes only. But if you want to be the "in" crowd you have to call them "antis". Fox hunting is insanely boring but if you ride it's just about the only thing you can do that isn't some derpy poo poo like dressage so all the horsey people converge on it like a nightmarish swarm of fetlocks

Endurance riding is p. cool and doesn't involve killing things. It also involves regular vet checks along the route to ensure you don't gently caress up your horse by overdoing things. Of all the horsey things people I know do, it seems the least ridiculous.

The horse vs human marathon is pretty dumb, though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Acaila posted:

Actually wondering if this was a dig at me? Didn't think I'd told any pheasant stories in here though

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Is it not General China? Though I thought he lived in a draughty stone castle now.

I was indeed referring to General China, yes.

crispix posted:

Grassing you up for not job searching tbh. :mad:

I am in work, but haven't been making enough effort to chase profit growth get more hours/move up the ladder; guess it's a one way train ticket to IDS' kinky torture gulag for me!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

Last winter I was in my office at the castle and a bunch of nerds from one of the shooting paties just wandered into the quadrangle and started blasting at pigeons on every roof - despite being surrounded on three sides by occupied rooms and offices. I think I might've posted a photo I took.
Hang the rich imo.

Should have reported it as a terrorist attack in progress

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's poppymania on the tabloid covers today. Is this new or have they been doing it for years and I'm just not very observant?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
So glad I'm not even in the country for this year's poppyfest. I have huge sympathy for the millions of poor sods sent to die bleeding in the muck at the whims of rich men and tyrants, but sticking a bit of paper in my lapel (or bellowing wordlessly at those who don't) while the government ramps up to the next round of soldier death doesn't seem like a great way to honour them.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

The toffs would shoot them and claim it was an accident.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

It's poppymania on the tabloid covers today. Is this new or have they been doing it for years and I'm just not very observant?

Daily Mail taking a fresh stance - hang those who don't burn the poppy

Meanwhile are maddy is revealed as a terrorist

DAAEY DYORRR haunted by his conscience

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Daily Mail taking a fresh stance - hang those who don't burn the poppy

Maybe they mean the paper. A Good Mail.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

SurrealityCheck posted:

As a historical thing, it's worth noting that the "celts" didn't really exist. There were a zillion hetereogeneous small groups (who looked notably different) hanging out in the UK when the Romans arrived and started actually documenting things. They even commented that they all looked different!

The Celts are a Georgian/Victorian construction. The UK was populated gradually by multiple different groups, and when the Storegga Slide happened and hosed Doggerland completely we got an interesting mix of bros from that ending up in the UK too. This is complicated by the European population itself undergoing significant changes (there were multiple distinct waves of hunter gatherers and farmers who made their way into Europe over 10000BC-3000BC! Plus Europeans also have some neanderthal mixed in with them... juicy.

Baz Cunliffe is very disappointed in you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's actually a 'gently caress Blair' story so they're 2/2 recently! It was just funnier to use the thumbnails so you couldn't tell :ssh:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Why can't Murdoch die? Why is Iain M Banks dead but he isn't. I don't understand anything. I cry.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why can't Murdoch die? Why is Iain M Banks dead but he isn't. I don't understand anything. I cry.

There is no good or evil, only the random consequence of physical systems. Human life is meaningless.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Scottish Labour votes to ditch Trident renewal

quote:

The Scottish Labour party has voted overwhelmingly to abandon the replacement of Trident nuclear weapons, adding to pressure on the party’s Westminster leaders to review its pro-nuclear defence policy.

The vote, carried by 70% of Labour constituencies and trade union members, will strengthen Jeremy Corbyn’s efforts to force the UK party into carrying out what he described last week as a “serious and positive” debate on ending Labour’s formal support for renewing Trident.

Describing nuclear weapons as “a mortal threat to humanity’s survival” and “massively expensive”, the Scottish Labour motion said renewing Trident would encourage nuclear proliferation. It said it was immoral to spend billions on the system at a time of worsening austerity in public spending.

It stressed that scrapping Trident’s replacement would be conditional on large sums being invested in creating new engineering and hi-tech jobs for the thousands of defence workers likely to lose their jobs in key constituencies.

The motion, which closely mirrors Corbyn’s policy, will be seen by his supporters as a valuable endorsement of his unilateralist policy on disarmament. It also stresses protecting defence jobs, underlining Labour’s nervousness about votes in communities reliant upon the industry and about its powerful trade unions.

But the motion was unequivocal in its opposition to nuclear weapons. That stance will infuriate supporters of Nato within the party but is likely to bolster its attempts to woo leftwing voters away from the Scottish National party.

The Graun seems to be having a harder time finding the 'lol Corbyn' angle on this one, at least.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

He eats a foetus every night too stave of death.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

Murdoch's gonna be cryogenically frozen, and his estate will ensure that he's only thawed out when the technology has been perfected on the other volunteers for medical experimentationcustomers, so he can be injected with life-prolonging megadrugs and stalk the earth forever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Murdoch's gonna be cryogenically frozen, and his estate will ensure that he's only thawed out when the technology has been perfected on the other volunteers for medical experimentationcustomers, so he can be injected with life-prolonging megadrugs and stalk the earth forever
This is why we need Trident. Or better still Corbyn's proposed asteroid based deterrent.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I'm just surprised that he hasn't been assassinated yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I'm just surprised that he hasn't been assassinated yet.

Really it's pretty surprising that leaders aren't assassinated more often. Or that bombings don't happen more often.
In theory it seems a pretty easy thing if they really wanted to smash as much stuff as possible!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I guess a big part is the lack of overlap between the people with the skillset to do such a thing and the people where the motivation to carry it out exceeds the risk of doing so.

There have been quite a few incompetent bombers (Glasgow Airport, London July 21st, and the ginger power guy spring to mind) but the people with the knowledge often aren't in those circles. To get a knowledge guy and a motivation guy together you need a countercurrent movement that accepts such strategies. In the developed West those are probably comprised 90% of police and government plants spying on each other.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, it was. See above post or the political effortpost I did in TVIV.

And I do still row, good full body exercise.

Ok I read that, and see your point.

I went rowing yesterday for the first time ever. Just a little rowing boat with two oars. Tell me, when can I expect the muscle pain to go away? I didn't even know I had muscles in some of the places that hurt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure since the JFK/LHO shitshow there's been a massive change in the way that secret service guard their targets. The list of assassination attempts on Barack Obama is massive but the most damage he's received was when he smacked that fly cold dead on the back of his hand, and that's self-inflicted.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
*Googles "Barrack Obama, dirty bomb, david cameron's home address, how to make a car bomb, where to buy a sniper rifle Are the windows at 10 downing street bullet proof"*
Guys how did I get caught by MI5 :confused:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think I saw an article about some suspected islamists getting arrested and charged with plotting an attack after doing "hostile reconnaissance" (ie looking at stuff on google street view) a while ago, even.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well that's this thread on lockdown.

Edit: Google: did maddie do 9/11, how hot do maddie burn?? Melting point of steel, child/steel alloy? Aliens?

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 1, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Ok I read that, and see your point.

I went rowing yesterday for the first time ever. Just a little rowing boat with two oars. Tell me, when can I expect the muscle pain to go away? I didn't even know I had muscles in some of the places that hurt.

Assuming it's just DOMS, a couple of days to a week. If you've damaged something, possibly longer depending on whether it's a muscle, a tendon, or a ligament.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Edit: Google: did maddie do 9/11, how hot do maddie burn?? Melting point of steel, child/steel alloy? Aliens?

Pig drool can't melt steel beams.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Nah it's fine because I'm not a muslim, you see?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sounds like someone has not heard of the concept of taqiyya.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

They totally do. I live near a place that breeds pheasants for shooting and every couple of years the saboteurs break into the place and let several hundred birds loose into the woods. You can always tell when they've done it because there's a noticeable uptick in the number of male pheasants strutting around and freaking out.

Sadly the birds are incredibly stupid and often end up decorating car bumpers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hungry posted:

They totally do. I live near a place that breeds pheasants for shooting and every couple of years the saboteurs break into the place and let several hundred birds loose into the woods. You can always tell when they've done it because there's a noticeable uptick in the number of male pheasants strutting around and freaking out.
I remember when some animal liberation campaigners did that with a few thousand American mink being farmed for fur. The mink then decimated the local wildlife and the council ended up having to put a bounty on their pelts. I guess it was a win for anti-fur because the publicity led to reform against fur farms, but I'm not so sure it was a win for local wildlife.

Tesseraction posted:

Sounds like someone has not heard of the concept of taqiyya.
It makes me happy.

Oberleutnant posted:

*Googles "Barrack Obama, dirty bomb, david cameron's home address, how to make a car bomb, where to buy a sniper rifle Are the windows at 10 downing street bullet proof"*
Guys how did I get caught by MI5 :confused:
This is always the thing that comes to mind whenever peds get caught with thousands of child abuse photos in their My Pictures folder with less security than I'd use for storing bank statements. It doesn't mean that they're all incompetent, just that the actual competent ones aren't even being caught. :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hungry posted:

Sadly the birds are incredibly stupid and often end up decorating car bumpers.

This is the primary function of pheasants in my experience.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Baz Cunliffe is very disappointed in you.

He would not go as far as what I just wrote, but he would agree that they were a heterogeneous bunch even if he thinks the term "Celt" is still useful!

His specific conception of the Celts as a cultural rather than single tribal group is in and of itself quite different to how people conceive of it - Celtic emerging as lingua franca, for example.

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 1, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Like I said, full body exercise. There are very very few sports (viz: none) that exercise as many muscle groups as much as often as intensively. You'll be fine in a couple of days, it's just a lack of conditioning.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

do way wit instain mccanns who kil their maddie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The best part of the Assassination threats against Barack Obama wiki page is the huge poo poo-eating grin he's got in the picture they used.

• Locked thread