Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

N is for Nipples posted:

My friend on the Phoenix complained about this moments ago! If it's anything like the ones in Irving (DFW Metroplex) it may be good ol hydraulic-fracturing related quakes... Arizona is an oil state, right?

Arizona is only an oil state if you mean how your skin feels after slathering sun screen on it. If there is a single working rig (fracture or otherwise) in the entire state, I have no idea where it is.

Fake edit: Googled it and found this - http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbbl_m.htm

It appears that Arizona is producing a massive 4k or 5k barrels of oil per month! Woo! There is only one state that produces less, on that table, Virginia. Apparently 19 states produce zero, or not enough to be considered worth inclusion in the report.

Real edit: Looks like there were two quakes in Black Canyon City (north of Phoenix), a 3.2 and 4.1 about 2.5 hours apart, and then a 5.1 in Needles, about 15 minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

stevobob posted:

I loving love Indian food. Also Mexican food. My wife has pushed me onto the road towards enjoying spicy food and it is a delicious journey to undertake.

I've never really gotten into Indian food, but Mexican food and I are very, very close friends. I grew up on the border of Texas/Mexico, so I've been exposed to Mexican/Tex-Mex/New Mexican food my entire life, but I never really got into really spicy food until I met one of my ex's. Went from "mmm, these jalapenos are pretty spicy" to "... why can I still feel my face after that habanero sauce? Not hot enough!" in a couple of months, and never looked back.

Reminds me... a grocery store nearby started selling ghost pepper cheddar, I really need to go try it. Maybe make some quesadillas with it.

protip: never take a piss after dicing habaneros.. or even moderately hot jalapenos. I don't care how well you think you've washed your hands, your junk is gonna be in a world of hurt for awhile.

N is for Nipples posted:

My friend on the Phoenix complained about this moments ago! If it's anything like the ones in Irving (DFW Metroplex) it may be good ol hydraulic-fracturing related quakes... Arizona is an oil state, right?

But but but but the radio man keeps saying there's no link between fracking and earthquakes are you telling me the talking box is lying to me?! :saddowns:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

But but but but the radio man keeps saying there's no link between fracking and earthquakes are you telling me the talking box is lying to me?! :saddowns:

According to The Locator's research... Probably not in this case!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

According to The Locator's research... Probably not in this case!

Maybe not in AZ. :colbert:

Serious talk though, I've been in Irving (the city Nipples mentioned) when one hit before. It was... unsettling, especially since I was on the 8th floor of a 19 story building at the time.

I haven't felt one at home, though I'm a 45 minute drive from Irving, and the strongest to hit the DFW area has only been a 4.0 (significantly south of DFW proper - I think Irving has only experienced up to a 3.0?).

edit: normally don't cook much, but I had this for dinner. Threw some corn and carrots in it too, came out loving delicious.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 2, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What the.....

(In a good way)

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

iwentdoodie posted:

How?

I want lamb vindaloo so god drat bad, but I hate having to order out for it.

Lol you could always just Google a recipe or are you incapable of working a hob?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the.....

(In a good way)

DOWNNNNTOWN!
DOWNNNNTOWN!
DOWNNNNNNNNNTOOOOOOOWN!!

She has her arms around your waist, with a balance that could keep us safe... Have you ever felt the warm embrace, OF A LEATHER SEAT BETWEEN YOUR LEEEEEEGS

God drat Eric Nally is one hell of a vocalist.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Curry is the best meal ever. Just a shame my guts aren't as resilient as my palette. South Indian garlic chilli is my poo poo. My FIL makes an amazing pork vindaloo, left simmering all day so the meat falls apart and enough garlic to kill the entire cast of twilight. It's a shame pork curries aren't more of a thing, it works really well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

our babysitter/nanny growing up made legit jamaican curry, that poo poo was fire (in multiple senses of the word)

E: and occasionally jerk chicken. that's what you eat when you REALLY wanna destroy your butthole.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you're ever in the midlands in the UK I can whole heartedly recommend the small chain of Kayal restaurants for Indian food. It's Southern Indian, right on the coast so lots of seafood and it's all loving beautiful. Every single thing we ordered was just so delicious.

http://www.kayalrestaurant.com/

Peep this menu... http://www.kayalrestaurant.com/pdf/LeamingtonMenu.pdf

Enourmo posted:

our babysitter/nanny growing up made legit jamaican curry, that poo poo was fire (in multiple senses of the word)

E: and occasionally jerk chicken. that's what you eat when you REALLY wanna destroy your butthole.

Jerk food is loving amazing too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

You nerds might appreciate this;

Just finished a PiDP-8 kit as made by this guy - I personally prefer the name PDP-8/pi, but that's splitting hairs and :spergin:

This is beyond awesome. I visited a store in Akihabara that had a capsule machine which dispensed 8-bit console VDP chips so I guess I'm also in the building a computer business now. Dunno what CPU/MCU I'm going to use as the backbone.

The best part of this video (if you're ignoring the motorcycle-drawn chariot) is the amazing cars parked on the side of the road.

Everything there is AI: Reattas, Brats, 80s LTDs, air-cooled Beetles, four-eyed Foxes, metric-chassis Elcos...

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 2, 2015

stump
Jan 19, 2006

88h88 posted:

http://www.kayalrestaurant.com/

Jerk food is loving amazing too.
I'll have to bear that in mind if I'm in the area.

A wee town in the north of Scotland called Dingwall has nowhere worth going for food, bar the best curry house I've ever eaten in. Really fresh tasting, unlike some places which, even if the curry is good, make you feel like you had eaten something that might give you a heart attack.

There is a place in Leuchars which looks like a dirty chip shop inside a converted house. The kind of place you would avoid no matter how hungry you are. But they make great curries, tasty, and if you catch the right chef properly hot. I think with a previously having captive audience of RAF guys, and now the Army they don't need to look fancy.

I had Jamaican Jerk stuff for the first time at a place in Manchester the other weekend, it was bloody amazing. Don't think it's much of a thing in Scotland though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I make Thai curry all the time, poo poo is loving amazing.

Also the best Indian food I ever had was in Italy, I don't know why but the Indian restaurants in my local area are all very underwhelming and it sucks because I love Indian food.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

There's an indian buffet by my house and it's $10 for lunch

it's really good but not as good as their entrees, but an entree there is also like $20 for some reason

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mafoose posted:

Going to start putting the e24 back together. What should I do about the plastics? They're in decent shape but not super black anymore.

Should I wash them and put them back on, or paint them with something? This is primarily the front grills and maybe the bumper surrounds.

I'm still trying to track down a set of world bumpers, and possibly a new airdam.
Thoughts?

Had to tow it since the drat thing refuses to start (has spark and injector pulse, I'm thinking FPR, since it also has fuel, but haven't verified pressure).

Back to black is supposed to work well on old plastics. Never used it myself but a few local BMW guys have had good results with it. Paint looks amazing, will be good to see that back on the road.

T-Square posted:

So my very first E30 was super clean, straight, and rust-free, probably would be worth around $5-6k today being in Wisconsin. This was pretty much the first car I had that brought me into the world of cars and getting my hands dirty, my first automotive love basically. I sold it to a work-friend at the time for dirt cheap like 5 years ago because I was dumb and frustrated with a transmission issue, which I could have definitely solved myself if I had been patient. He turned it into a drift missile and beat the ever-living gently caress out of it, destroyed all of the body panels, gutted the entire thing, etc. At least it got an M50 swap with a big-rear end turbo, so that was kind of neat. Well he had a poo poo year on the midwest drift union tour, whatever the gently caress it is. He put the car into a wall, HARD, and multiple times. It's getting scrapped now. My poor car :(

At least I finally got off my rear end and finished putting together some of the front end on my current E30, and got it off of jack stands and back onto the ground today. :unsmith:
Don't feel too bad about a clean E30 getting destroyed, at least it was done on the track and not but some idiot texting and driving. Our vert race car is beat to poo poo and starting to show it's ago so we're looking at building up the coupe parts car we picked up two years ago. No rust, body is pristine and we're going to gut/cage it then race it until it falls apart.

Tusen Takk posted:

I finally figured out how to make a proper curry with that good kind of spicy that doesn't affect your tongue as much as it affects your mucus membranes through the air and through eating it and it loving rules

I really need to try making curry sometime. The restaurants around here aren't very good and I really miss it, especially bhuna. There was a good spot near the site in California with a lunch buffet.

protip: never take a piss after dicing habaneros.. or even moderately hot jalapenos. I don't care how well you think you've washed your hands, your junk is gonna be in a world of hurt for awhile.
Protip: cut hot peppers with disposable gloves on. Never worry about burning eyes/junk again

leica posted:

Also the best Indian food I ever had was in Italy, I don't know why but the Indian restaurants in my local area are all very underwhelming and it sucks because I love Indian food.
Europe has awesome Indian food. Germany has the best Indian food I've had and there was usually 3-5 within a 10 minute walk of my hotel anywhere I stayed.

Went to Nashville for Halloween and saw Pretty Lights...amazing. Very light rain all night made it a little cool and muddy but the rain in the lights was great, can't imagine how it looked to the rest of the group on :catdrugs: Great burger at Burger Revolution and lady friend got a spiked nutella shake that was tasty. Good weekend, much better than last Halloween spent on airplanes and sitting around airports.

Stupid VW acted up on the drive over so I need to see if it popped any new codes. About half way it felt down on power and didn't really want to pull above 3500 rpm. Felt fine on the way home and this morning. Wouldn't be surprised if it's carbon buildup in the intake manifold, I'm probably overdue for cooking that out at 260k miles.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 2, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone have any curry recipes that they would like to share?

I made chili yesterday. This batch tasted much better than my last but my stomach wasn't too happy a few hours later.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

El Jebus posted:

So how is everyone's November so far? Mine is pretty good. Still have some candy left. Gonna eat it and maybe work on the motorcycle today. What's for breakfast?

Taking the Jeep in for an insurance estimate from getting rear-ended last week. Debit card got stolen on Saturday, some chucklefuck in Conn. tried to charge $400 in eHarmony accounts to it so my bank laughed and disabled it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Back to black is supposed to work well on old plastics. Never used it myself but a few local BMW guys have had good results with it. Paint looks amazing, will be good to see that back on the road.

I've never had luck with Back to Black, it always ends up streaky and doesn't get rid of wax build-up or overshoot.

Meguiars Ultimate Black has worked very well for me. It soaks in and gives a really nice, matte finish.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

88h88 posted:

If you're ever in the midlands in the UK I can whole heartedly recommend the small chain of Kayal restaurants for Indian food. It's Southern Indian, right on the coast so lots of seafood and it's all loving beautiful. Every single thing we ordered was just so delicious.

Quoted for truth. South Indian cuisine is on a whole different level. My current favorite restaurant is a great south-indian joint in Ottawa that have a coriander shrimp dish that is...inexplicably amazing. I can't describe it other than "love on your tongue". Mmmmmm.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have any curry recipes that they would like to share?

I made chili yesterday. This batch tasted much better than my last but my stomach wasn't too happy a few hours later.

I used this but added extra red pepper and oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yU3PMaLz8I

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Siochain posted:

Quoted for truth. South Indian cuisine is on a whole different level. My current favorite restaurant is a great south-indian joint in Ottawa that have a coriander shrimp dish that is...inexplicably amazing. I can't describe it other than "love on your tongue". Mmmmmm.

Yeah, the flavours were just unreal. Every single thing we ordered was perfect and that's rare in a restaurant.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Siochain posted:

I tried 12 Indian restaurants in RVA before I found The One. It's called Curry Craft and my god... his appetizers are out of this world and so god damned complex I don't know what to do with myself.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I found a 710 plug on a big-rear end old fan at work.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

I used this but added extra red pepper and oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yU3PMaLz8I

Thanks, I'll check it out later.

In the old chat thread, there were suggestions for projects for developers fresh out of school. Can anyone repost those?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Protip: cut hot peppers with disposable gloves on. Never worry about burning eyes/junk again

Ding. When I made my chili a few weeks back (award-winning motherfuckers), I cut up a jalapeno and a few dried ghosts. Pair of nitriles did the job. HF's got a coupon out now for like $5.50 for a 100 pack of 5mils.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

meatpimp posted:

I've never had luck with Back to Black, it always ends up streaky and doesn't get rid of wax build-up or overshoot.

Meguiars Ultimate Black has worked very well for me. It soaks in and gives a really nice, matte finish.

I tried Back to Black on my Volvo a few years ago and it didn't seem to work all that great. On the internet I've ran across Chemical Guys Black on Black, hell their promo video is an e30 touring grill haha. I might give it a shot.

I'll probably try Ultimate Black first as I can at least get that locally.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The 3m back to black or whatever it's called is pretty decent. It's a black dye rubber/plastic conditioner, you just have to be careful applying it to not streak it.

Worked ok on making my PO hosed bed trim look a lot better. I think the PO used armor all or something and left it on the plastics, causing it to discolour in an ugly streaky way. The 3m stuff made it look much better after 1 treatment.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9x74SlY1ik

"Got this fender here, it's all rusted out... V8 owners' tears"

Indian food chat, I'm a big fan of achari chicken or a well-made chole bhature. I got a recipe for 5-minute naan from a cookbook my Indian in-laws sent, still need to try that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pfft. $1600 estimate on a minor rear ender fix on my 99 xj.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How come people have only just heard/seen Downtown? It came out at the end of August.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
IOC: can you change the thread tag to something November appropriate?

Speaking of bikes and downtown: my title fuckery woes are almost over! Just in time for a solid week of rain and the cold embrace of winter.

gently caress.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
GTI is gone. Bought a WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pictures shortly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

IOC: can you change the thread tag to something November appropriate?

I keep forgetting I can do poo poo like that when I'm not on a phone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

I keep forgetting I can do poo poo like that when I'm not on a phone.

Get off of me.

E: don't tread on me seems more appropriate given the new tag

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

Get off of me.

Get a room, you two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

How come people have only just heard/seen Downtown? It came out at the end of August.

I dunno, I was just in a Macklemood last night so I started posting about it. And We Danced is just as insane but has no fun moped action.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Get off of me.

I just love you for your car's body.

Also, no Macklemore / AI discussion is complete without this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLifPUIuic

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LinkedIn should have a box filled with angry hornets that, in order to send unsolicited job recruitment messages, you'd need to get one installed in your office. Every time someone is annoyed by your recruitment message, they could pay to release an angry hornet into your office. I'd pay, easily, $5 per angry hornet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

14 INCH DICK posted:

It cracks me up I finally get the chance to post my how to have a good day manifesto just before the thread dies in a spot nobody will ever notice :allears:

I noticed.
I just hope someone is compiling that stuff, and will publish it some day.

Adiabatic posted:

I just watched that music video again. There's some super AI motorcycle poo poo in it.

I love the 4-motorbike chariot.

Oh, hey, a Buick Reatta!

e: F,B by Seat Safety Switch

Maybe not in AZ. :colbert:

Serious talk though, I've been in Irving (the city Nipples mentioned) when one hit before. It was... unsettling, especially since I was on the 8th floor of a 19 story building at the time.

I haven't felt one at home, though I'm a 45 minute drive from Irving, and the strongest to hit the DFW area has only been a 4.0 (significantly south of DFW proper - I think Irving has only experienced up to a 3.0?).

3.1, IIRC, and it was only a couple of miles away from where I work. It made our shelving sway a bit on the second floor. In fact, a lot of the North Texas earthquakes were only a few miles away from work. A lot of them seemed to center around where Texas (Cowboys) Stadium used to be.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9x74SlY1ik

"Got this fender here, it's all rusted out... V8 owners' tears"

That was amusing.
I like the linked vidoe featuring a "souped up" Lancer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezFi5wK-pIY