Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BloodBag posted:

I've been looking for that special...something of a bike frame for a while now. My old bike has been creaking in the bottom bracket since about 300 miles after I built it. The shell is ovaled and even a collet BB conversion won't quiet this fucker down. Every pedal stroke *creak*. I'm loving done. I had my eye on a specialized allez e5 smartweld frameset for a while now, but resigned myself to never owning such a gorgeous piece of hardware. I've been wanting a frame that isn't standard black/white/red like they all are for guys. I've been dreaming of a pink frame, no joke.

Welp, after perusing some websites, I found one, in my size, at Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson, TX. I made the 242 mile drive and came home with my new baby. It's the single prettiest bike I've ever owned. I got it on clearance too, $300 off original price :toot:

:allears: :love: :allears:

Cool, friend of mine has one of those and it is pretty nice. I took my caad 9 out for the first time in forever yesterday, I'd taken a wheel from it after I'd bent the rear on my cross bike. Felt good to be out on it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Why did I list a part on nasioc? First two responses from people with almost zero post history, one out of the country. Doesn't seem scammy at all...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why are you even looking at nasioc????

I wanted to get rid of a shifter in a short period of time. Anyone want a kartboy lever for an 02-07 impreza?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'm 27. I don't have fond memories of MK64, but I played it a bunch. If you were between 10 and 20 when it came out and you were into games, it's likely that MK64 was a very formative game for you.

Either you were in grade school hanging out with friends playing it or you were in your dorm with a bunch of people all crowded around a TV.

For me it was both. I think I was like 13-14 when that came out, and then a guy down the hall brought his n64 back after christmas break or something and there were lots of late night tournaments. I just wish it had more tracks. Like how hard was rainbow road and the ghost ones on the SNES version?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah yes because bow hunting in bear country is a good idea and totally justifies allowing a weapon that is easy to hide and the leading firearm in shootings to still hang around

I for one definitely need a handgun to kill all the urban thugsbears in my Detroit suburb

Haha, so what do you suggest- don't go into the forest?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

When I'm walking around in the forest all day and up mountains and stuff I don't really want to lug around a big rear end shotgun on top of everything else. Handgun is light and out of the way.

Where I hunt there are plenty of grizzly bears. I don't bow hunt though and just bring bear spray in addition to a rifle. If I did bow hunt I would want a big handgun along as well.

Although if you are getting harassed by a big angry grizzly bear and bear spray doesn't work you are way better off having a 12 gauge with slugs over a handgun. By the time you figure out the bear spray isn't working you're probably getting mauled though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 12, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I guess if you like something, drink it. Saw that root beer stuff in the store the other day and was a little surprised it's $10 a six pack. It does kind of annoy me that it is marketed as a secret recipe, made in a small craft brewery, but that's actually made in the same place as things like four loko and smirnoff ice and the "brewery" is owned by pabst. Although currently all the big breweries are losing market share so they are doing similar things.

Tonight we went hiking and then afterward had some pizza and beer. I had a really good ipa from Helena, mt.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I was trimming a bumper cover to clear a front mount intercooler and sliced into my index finger near the knuckle. Think it took 8 stitches, and was just before I took a trip to visit friends. So that whole next week I had a bunch of poo poo on my hand which was a pain in the rear end. The doctor actually suggested I cancel my trip. For a cut on the finger. I laughed.

Then a maybe few burns. Edge of brake rotor shaped burns on each forearm, and also forearm burns from changing an E46 M3 exhaust while it was on the dyno to do a back to back test. Also pretty much every time I touch an EVO X I manage to get a few cuts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I just made the mistake of Googling that. Holy hell bicycle poo poo is expensive. I believe I'll stick to my $150 K-Mart tank, thank you.

It can get really out of hand, especially if you race and have multiple bikes. I probably spent at least $500 on just tires this year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard. I cringe at spending $500 on car tires.

Just checked - $436. And the rear MTB tire I bought in june is toast. Replacement will be about $75 after it's mounted tubeless but I'll wait until the spring for that.

Also I need to buy some new snow tires for my car very soon. Hooray for a tirerack wholesale account. General altimax are the go-to, right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Unfortunately they don't drop ship, and the difference is not very much. Discount tire ships for free, so after paying for shipping from tirerack it's only like $20 less.

On a lot of performance parts that aren't tires/wheels I can usually save people a few bucks.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 19, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've bought two sets of studded Altimax Arctics now, and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. Absolutely worth checking the little box off at checkout.

I'm on the fence about studs. On one hand the roads stay pretty clear in town most of the winter and it's an extra $60, on the other they would be really nice for driving to the ski hill and stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Checked pricing on mounting/balancing/disposal etc and to see what the local shops had for tires. Got a couple of hilarious quotes. One was $40 per tire for mounting, another place wanted $160 ea for Firestone weatherforces.

Les schwab will take care of mounting for 60 and then the actual Firestone store offered a pretty good deal on blizzak ws80s. 510 out the door which is less than $30 more than the generals + studs would work out to. Might go with those instead.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes, subaru crank.

Really glad I am getting new snow tires like, this week to replace the ones I got practically free from ssswitch a few years ago. There is not much tread left and I tried them out in the snow this afternoon. They don't work very well.

And I decided on the blizzaks over generals or generals + studs. I am having a hard time fully believing it but I keep hearing about how they will still have better traction in most conditions.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ugh, fingers so cold. Just fixed a couple of hosed up fuel lines on an older outback outside and it's 6f. They had been changed from the firewall to the filter and rails and were leaking to the point of not holding pressure so the car wouldn't start. Probably helps when you don't strip the hose clamp. loving dealerships.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I put a nearly solid pitch stop on my car because it was basically free. Didn't last long. Although if you only replace one of all the drivetrain mounts and that one is connected directly to the firewall it makes it a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

stump posted:

Any recommendations for a decent set of MTB tyres that would be OK on the road but not be completely useless off road? My current ones are a bit chunky for the road.

I need to get back on my bike - I'm quickly spiralling through my 30's and my fitness is in the shitter. I do get some exercise walking up hills for work but not enough lately - my colleague who smokes like a chimney but runs an hour a night keeps leaving me in the dust!

I've barely ridden my bike, it's a 12 year old Kona Blast and it's still got the original tyres and pads, tyres are still good but the brakes are completely fried!

If your tires are original and 12 years old, even if they have tread on them they are not still good. New, good quality tires will make such a huge difference.

XC race tires roll well on hard surfaces. I've gone through a few sets of maxxis ikons and they do pretty well for what they are. Kenda small block 8 is another comparable tire and comes in more sizes. And then for some cyclocross courses (mostly grass and hardpack for example) I use a semi-slick on the rear, which has side knobs for cornering but is basically slick in the center to roll faster.

• Locked thread