Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Crosspost from the GBS thread (yeah, yeah)

spregalia posted:

Current MU person here. Allow me to provide a brief timeline of events:

August: University announces it will no longer be providing recipients of graduate assistantships with health insurance subsidies as these violate the IRS's interpretation of the ACA (Obamacare). They announced this with domestic student's insurance due to expire at midnight and international students' insurance having expired two weeks prior. This results in grad student walk-outs and protests. Many students immediately want nuclear option enacted. Subsidies are restored one week after announcement as university petitions IRS for an extension.
Late Aug/Early Sept: Unknown persons (possibly or possibly not students) call the president of one of the student associations the n-word from a passing truck. The university fails to say or do anything.
Sept: Facing pressure from the state legislature, the university rescinds the privileges that would allow a faculty member to serve as the doctor on record for the local Planned Parenthood.
Oct: Student calls group of black students the n-word, is identified, and expelled.
Late October: group of 12 or so protesters step in front of University president's motorcade during homecoming parade. Students lock arms and chant with Butler using megaphone. Allegedly driver of president's vehicle bumps a protester. Local (not campus) police break up protest (because it is illegal to detain people against their will) and threaten to pepper spray protesters if they don't comply (they allege this threat as brutality).
-- Student group meets w/ pres and issues list of demands that Drink Cheerwine posted. Bear in mind, this was there opening negotiation: a slap in the face (handwritten letter where you admit your white male privilege like he's a five year old) and quit your job were their first two demands.. The second part of II would violate existing state law as Curators are chosen by the governor and confirmed by the Senate. V violates two separate SCOTUS rulings regarding hiring quotas in public universities.
Late October: poop swastika.
Early November: Butler embarks on hunger strike because of systems of oppression (largely perceived microaggressions) on MU campus. More meetings take place, but because demands aren't met in full, strike continues. Nobody really cares until sportsball team decides to go on strike. People lose their loving minds at this development.

I'm not saying there's no racism on MU's campus, there certainly is (but it is not sanctioned by the university), but it's not Mississippi circa 1963. Some students are racists, I really don't see how that's possibly avoidable. The students are connecting wholly unrelated events (e.g. the health insurance, PP, and isolated incidents) and trying to build a narrative that really doesn't pass any scrutiny. There's (rightly) no University support for intolerance and when students have been caught doing or saying racist poo poo, they're always severely punished (almost always expelled). But these students want the entire campus, nay the entire world to be a safe space and somehow think the university owes it to them and is capable of providing it if only the president would acknowledge his white male privilege and resign. They want to hold the system president liable for poo poo that's been voiced over the anon service Yik-Yak (yes, seriously). 99% of this is self-victimization and self-infantilization on the part of the protesters. Honestly, they have a few valid points and like any sane person I too want an inclusive and diverse campus, but from my discussions with many of them, they're anti-liberal authoritarians out of Orwell's worst nightmares.

Even worse, this young man has been encouraged to die on the hill of microaggressions. The president has been pretty clear that he has no intentions of resigning and seems content to let the university fire him and pay him a multi-million dollar severance package or for the young man to die. I really hope the university won't cave (but they will) because of how unequivocally asinine of a precedent it will set in higher ed (i.e. that top administrators should be decided based on the capriciousness of students).

One other thing to note: the University president is actually the UM system president (meaning he presides over the main Columbia campus and three others around the state).

This guy seems to have a valid point; the main complaints seem to boil down to "some students are racist" and it makes it seem kinda silly that their immediate demands included resignations and "acknowledgements of privilege", are there examples of the administration explicitly or tacitly supporting racism or discrimination? Or did they just become the scapegoat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

euphronius posted:

The school does have an obligation to make the campus a safe place contra to gbs poster.

For some definitions of "safe place", yeah of course they do. They have an obligation to protect their students from physical harm, which it seems they've done just fine. They have an obligation to harshly punish racism and hate speech, which again it seems they've done even if maybe they could have been more diligent about it, i.e. making a statement or taking some kind of action or something about the student association president getting "friend of the family" yelled at him from the car. Where is it that the administration fell so short that the president's resignation was warranted?

Edit:

BonoMan posted:

It's not just about the events that are racist if I'm understanding correctly. It's the abhorrent way the University has handled it time and again.

This is basically what I'm looking for. All I've found or been shown have been responses from the administration that, while certainly not perfect, are a far cry from "abhorrent"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Trabisnikof posted:

The healthcare notifications, the lack of response to racist vandalism, the horrible way he's handled issues with the students? Like its university president 101 that you actually talk to the protesters or backup, you don't have your driver drive through the protesters, that just pisses them off more.

The healthcare thing is totally legit. However, and maybe I'm just being insensitive here, but somebody drawing a swastika on the bathroom wall in poop doesn't, to me, seem like the kind of thing that warrants a response from anybody but the janitor. Like, there are probably swastikas on the majority of American public bathroom stall walls at this point.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Kro-Bar posted:

Don't forget that Wolfe also blamed black students for their own oppression. I can't blame them for being pissed off.

Hahahaha ok well a clearer picture begins to come together here huh

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yeah, the picture painted by former black students of Mizzou around here and TFF has been much less rosy than that one post by a current student in GBS. Also willing to bet GBS poster is white.

Well yeah I mean I wasn't trying to imply that I was just taking that guy's word for it, the main thing is that I didn't really understand where the University President fit into the whole equation and why his resignation would be so high on their demand list, and a cursory Googling didn't turn up anything too egregious.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Yeah this is a really good way to never have anyone sympathize with you.

It's hard enough for me to sympathize with a kid getting a $170000 Ivy League education complaining about "safe spaces" in the first place, like, you better make a drat good case

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

euphronius posted:

Why are you using scare quotes around the term safe places.

Because in the vast majority of cases where people are talking about setting up safe spaces they're being whiny babies.

Blatant racism and hate speech is an obvious exception to this opinion, and of course we should be doing everything we can to eliminate it from the public sphere.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"whiny babies" worried about "blatant racism" :rolleyes:

oh come on did you even read the whole post

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

euphronius posted:

They are complaining about blatant hate speech so...

Not in that video from Yale. They're complaining about somebody suggesting that maybe the school shouldn't go overboard in policing offensive Halloween costumes.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

way i see it, safe spaces are a way for people to have a conversation and think about things like racism and hate speech, and how it affects people, and you know, to express their own free speech and expression

of course, you get plenty of whiny idiots who don't want to have that conversation and frame it as censorship

This is actually my fundamental problem with so-called safe spaces; the people with the lovely awful opinions don't need a safe space to express themselves, they just loving do it, all over the place and all the time. Waiting for an appropriately "safe" space to be set up before you feel that you can even start having the conversation is hopeless and self-defeating.

If "safe space" is being used in the context of being safe from physical violence or persecution, then yeah let's definitely try to make as many places safe-spaces as possible. Let's try to make the whole world a safe space.

If "safe space" is being used in the context of excluding loud idiots in order to start having meaningful discussions, then that battle was lost before you even started fighting it, and even if it wasn't it's not the right way to be fighting it anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

zoux posted:

I hope they only use this power for good.

With any luck they can at least use it to start getting paid

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Amergin posted:

This sound applicable to gun-free zones.

you might think so, but it's actually not

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Radbot posted:

"These grown men and women have repeatedly rebuked Obamacare at the polls, but they know not what they want. They deserve empathy for their decisions, because I have decided they are wrong. Poor widdle Southerners."

Yes they do deserve empathy because they were gratuitously misled by the powerful and persuasive into voting directly against their own self interest and that is a bummer man

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

FAUXTON posted:

They're poor rurals driven by spite and racial resentment, not someone's slow kid who believes in Santa at the age of 14. That doesn't necessarily mean they should die of preventable disease but it's probably good to continually point out how hosed up their beliefs are while making sure they don't die for lack of penicillin or heparin or whatnot.

Yeah nobody was talking about whether or not to advocate against their politics, we're saying that you should maintain a healthy level of empathy and understanding of the root causes of these phenomena rather than dehumanizing people for getting sucked into what we CONSTANTLY POINT OUT on this forum is a well-oiled political propaganda machine that works with startling efficacy. making GBS threads on poor, ignorant people for being poor and ignorant is just as bad when nice liberals do it as it is when those inbred horse-fucker bog-people do it god damnit they deserve their miseryyyyy :argh:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
There goes condescending old Hillary again, talking to people like they're childr... wait

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Joementum posted:

It's more that one of the polls showing him up with Trump was a bit of an outlier.

Things like this are specifically designed to be unreadable to us color-blinds aren't they

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

The Kingfish posted:

You like the one that was falsely reported last night?

Two drunk townies and a poopoo picasso are not a good reason to fire the president of a university system.

Like, you understand that racism and discrimination are not things that sprang into being last week right?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Casimir Radon posted:

There's been racial incidents at the campus. In many of the cases involving students that were caught they were presumably punished for their actions. Recently there's been some racial incidents, one may not have involved students at all because it's not easy to track down a random group of guys pickup when that's all you have to go on. Then there was the incident where somebody drew a swastika on the wall with poop. Unless somebody saw something that's pretty hard to investigate as well. If anything people should feel sorry for the weird idiot who thought that this was their big statement. This is only notable because they brought the football team in and forced the president to resign. College sports are awful and have really hosed up academia in this country.

Reread this post and just look at all the arbitrary assumptions you've made here

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

farraday posted:

Your comparison is stupid and if you thought about it for more than the 2 seconds it took to write it down you'd realize having a vegetarian day is not the same as having someone preach to you while you eat either about the saving hand of Jesus Christ or that meat is murder.

Of course now that you've decided to carry your spare rib up this bacon wrapped Golgotha it may be difficult to talk you back down.

In what way is it different

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is entirely fair and I probably should have said "it mostly works out better than if the US had done gently caress all" instead. Yeah we could have done things differently or better, but it's not really controversial to say that doing nothing would have been worse than what we ended up doing anyway.

I think you'll find that that's actually still pretty controversial.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Why is pointing out that black people are frequently targeted by police and shot at an alarmingly higher rate a bad thing?

Oh yeah, white people hate thinking about black people mattering, huh.

I mean.... yeah, basically. It was a bad frame for them to pick.

Your average person who has implicit biases but doesn't consciously recognize them is going to immediately balk at the idea that "some lives matter more than others? More than MINE?? I don't like that."

It's another case of concision beating explanation every time. Fox assholes get to say "nope, ALL lives matter :smug:" but the activists have to stop and explain institutional prejudice and how power structures DON'T treat black lives like they matter and etc., etc. and by then you've already lost the messaging war.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

SedanChair posted:

You've been found out now. Your brain perceives "black lives matter" as "black lives matter more than other ones."

Prove you can be saved.

I meekly submit myself for reeducation

No seriously though I guess what I'm saying is that "black lives matter too" would have actually been a better slogan, but it is a good point that the opposition is going to smear and degrade them no matter what the messaging is.

It just seems like in the brain of the average person who's not an explicit racist but still has lots of prejudices, "black lives matter" actually IS likely to be parsed as "...more than yours" and it just sucks how easy it is to set up cheap but effective rhetorical traps based on a dumb slogan

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Octatonic posted:

Okay, so the argument is : if only blacks expressed themselves better, racist white people would listen to them?

No actually that's extremely reductive, but thanks

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
For Christ's sake, there is more of a gray area in the public discourse and consciousness than "the cops did nothing wrong, hang the darkies" vs "black lives matter" come on people

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

yeah, it is kind of a problem that they are black and they're trying to speak to people who irrationally hate black people

that is uh a bit of a sticky wicket there

No. The problem is exactly that they are NOT trying to speak to an absurd caricature of the entire non-sympathetic public that irrationally hates black people, they are trying to speak to people who genuinely believe they are not racists, even though they still hold implicit biases and support a system that holds up implicit biases, and I put to you that the overwhelming majority of the population falls into the second category and COULD actually be convinced

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Octatonic posted:

You're welcome! Yes, it is reductive, but it seems like we're falling into a trap where the perfect is the enemy of the good, while at the same time condemning a peaceful movement as too radical? I just don't really understand what's being put forth here.

I don't think anybody has said BLM is too radical, we're arguing that they could improve their messaging. But to a degree you're right, we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, which is why I imagine basically everybody in this thread supports BLM as it is anyway

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Expanding on what Popular Thug Drink said up there, we still hear poo poo about Black History Month every year. It doesn't matter what you call the movement, because people will use the same messaging against it. "Well, really, we need to be nicer to everybody, this doesn't need to be a race thing! :downs:"

Right, but the harder you make it for them to do that, the better and more successful your movement will be. The slogan "black lives matter" is comically easy to twist into something lovely, as we've observed. So to come back to my original point, even when some people will never be convinced, messaging matters, and "black lives matter" is decidedly suboptimal messaging.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
"Black Lives Matter Too"

Seriously.

Edit: "Black Lives Also Matter"

BLAM!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

GlitchThief posted:

True. I guess it's much easier to fault the oppressed for failing to fight back correctly than is to fault the society that continues to denigrate and murder them.

Once again, "faulting the oppressed" is not what's going on here. In fact if you read closely, you might find that we're actually brainstorming about what ways might also work, and possibly even work better!, for standing up for the oppressed

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

i've got an idea: let's stop faulting the oppressed

what a wild idea how did it not occur to me before

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Radish posted:

It's not the messaging that is pissing them off. They are pissed at being confronted with the fact that black people are treated worse by society than white people. They have been sold an idea that America is a meritocracy and you get exactly what you deserve. If black people are treated worse by the police and a larger percentage of them are in jail than other races it must be their fault and BLM activists are whiners that are trying to pull a con. Being more specific in their slogan isn't going to change anyone's opinion. Is isn't brainless moderates that are putting in the effort to publicly say "All Lives Matter", it's racists that know exactly what they are saying in order to shut down discussion. Anything slogan BLM used would get the same treatment and saying they should be more careful not to offend white people is silly.

I understand that but in this case the slogan that was arrived upon, spontaneously or otherwise, makes it so trivially easy to deflect and change the conversation that the substance of the protests doesn't even have to come up, much less be contradicted.

Like is your logic here that any avenue of protest is equally easily shut down and discredited, and therefore any form of protest that does occur is equally effective just by existing? And thus ways to improve the effectiveness of the protest aren't worth considering?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

you really keep insisting that "black lives matter" is critically flawed as a glib rhetorical statement but it doesn't appear to be any more flawed than uh anything else that a black person might say or write

maybe to you it pops out as being tantamount to some kind of slogan from the haitian revolution but it's a really innocuous statement and simply asserting that it is terrible from your perspective is just going to make people question the validity and impartiality of your perspective fyi

could be better != is terrible, fyi

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

hey, collective outrage of young persons of color reacting to a racist and oppresive society that murders you on the street! calm down and get your poo poo together if you want whitebread moderately racist america to be on your side! get a job!

The only position your dial has is "cranked to eleven" isn't it?

I'm gonna take a wild stab and guess that you probably don't have a great track record of convincing people of the correctness your opinions.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Radish posted:

I posted this last page.

http://fusion.net/story/184032/black-lives-matter-martin-luther-king-hate-mail/

It's a lot of the same sort of "why don't you care about white people??" and "black people commit more crime against blacks" nonsense directed at MLK. Saying that "Black Lives Matter" was too easy to subvert isn't true since any slogan would be changed to try and shift the conversation from racial inequality to some false idea that people want everyone equal when they actual just want the status quo to be maintained. Trying to shift the fault to them for white people not wanting to end black oppression because of them isn't really helpful. Thinking that leaving off "too" from the end is why "moderates" aren't resonating with that slogan is really incorrect.

To be clear I don't think the slogan is, by far, the primary reason that the movement isn't resonating with moderates, but I think it is a facet, and that it's important to be aware of what works and what doesn't if you want to mount an effective protest.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Yeah righteous indignation sure is fun but I'd prefer to see actual things be accomplished and to have actual progress happen.

OTOH and don't get to say as many mean jokes about people if I actually care about persuading them, hmmmm.... what to do.....

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

The Kingfish posted:

Historically? Yes.

He's made it quite clear that he's not interested in actually succeeding or accomplishing anything so I'd say this moderately valid point is going to fall on deaf ears.

Or rather, be mocked without in any way being substantively responded to.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

ok step one for ending police oppression: badger millenials on twitter to use the corrent slogans

well, i'm doing my part. what about you? what have you done for The Cause recently?

OK so we've moved from "I think their choice of slogan could probably be better" to "badger millenials on twitter into talking how I like"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

*sharpies #AllOrgansMatter on a Race for the Cure sign*

Do you feel that there's ANY capacity in which the current civil rights protests might be improved? Do you think that they have any shortcomings at all? Are you interested in discussing why or why not?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

whether i do or not is a distinct coversation from me breaking your balls over your avowed belief that part of the reason white america rejects black opinions is because a group of disconnected protesters rallied behind the incorrect hashtag

Ok so now I see where the disconnect is. I'm not intending to overstate the importance of a dumb hashtag. It's a facet of the problem but not the most important, or even necessarily a major one, but it's the one that came up in the thread so that's what I talked about.

Although, if you want to win over millenials you pretty much have to be a pro-tier hashtagger, so maybe it IS more important than I thought....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Radish posted:

This sounds iffy but I am willing to try it and be wrong in my love for all pizzas except for godless sauceless pizza.

My mom is a diabetic and has to order sauceless pizza and it just fills me with existential despair every time :smith:

• Locked thread