Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan went as Mitt Romney for Halloween.

Terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

greatn posted:

How much power does Ryan have over the house functions not relating to law? Like can he ban smoking in the offices and institute pizza Thursdays in the cafeteria?

Only if the pizza is the King James instead*.

*The King James being a hamburger and pizza slice inbetween a grilled cheese sandwich, for those unfamiliar with his alma mater.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cabbit posted:

Jeb!'s new slogan isn't going well.

Jeb? Jeb!?

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB!!!!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 3, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radbot posted:

Glad to see the Midwest/East loving up what the West has already accomplished (drama-free legalization of cannabis) a long time ago.

California is a sore counterpoint to this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DemeaninDemon posted:

There were a fair amount of dudes posting about voting straight -D. That's a good start. Even Walt Minnicks better than the majority of Republican poo poo fucks who run.

Walt Minnick of Idaho? Funny coincidence, I interned with him in DC a few years ago.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man, this country really does deserve to crash and burn. Voters are the dumbest motherfuckers.

Considering that the amount we've collectively slashed education budgets for decades would put Jason Voorhees to shame, I can't say I'm much surprised by the consequences.

DemeaninDemon posted:

You did? Woah. I drag him out as an example of why even a Republican with a D next to his name is still better. His replacement ran on a campaign to STOP PELOSI and help founded the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast.

Yes, it was more accidental than by purpose. Relying on connections for a substitute internship position after a think tank application fell through by the last minute landed me in a start up lobbying group that Minnick was a part of for a summer, which also led to a part time congressional internship in John Barrow's (D-Georgia) office.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

"First, they came for the dank memes - I did not speak out, because I was not an Internet hipster."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This is from far earlier in the thread (pre-fishmech chat apparently), but re: Rand Paul on free college:

If free college is bad like heroin, then where does he stand on public primary and secondary education? Does he think those should be privatized as well? Is it an imperative to shut the poor out from even attaining a basic education? How is any of this sane or consistent with free primary/secondary education? How could anyone even argue against access to pre-tertiary education? :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Yes Rand Paul absolutely believes primary and secondary education should be privatized.

But, like... Wouldn't that just make our society even more dysfunctional if a sizable portion of the population literally do not learn basic literacy or math? Would we just go back to 1800s style politics where party machine bosses direct illiterates on how to vote?

God drat, libertarians really do look back on the Gilded Age as a water mark in American history, don't they?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

The good faith answer is that they believe that a completely privatized education system would out perform any public system.

The bad faith answer is they don't care nor do they believe in society.

Strangely (or not), the "good faith answer" seems to be actively pushed in Intro to Macroeconomics courses. Anecdotally speaking, there was part of my Macro course in college focused on line graphs between private and public education and the debate on whether to focus on private education versus public based on net outcomes.

Then again, libertarians seem to cull only the surface-level economics (ie the "heh :smug:" smug rear end in a top hat part of economics and economists) and form political opinions around that limited beep-boop Ayn Rand understanding.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Neeksy posted:

Remember when they used white phosphorous and they totally got written up by the Obama administration for what is technically a war crime?

And Clinton still slobbered all over Israel's cock for it. :(

I was incredibly pissed over her knee-jerk "must support Israel right or wrong always" reaction, but I still think she's our best hope for an effective Democratic presidency. :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It doesn't make sense.

"Abortion bad."

See? All the sense you need! :downs:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The 18 year old who stabbed four people at UC Merced left behind a detailed plan. He did it because he was angry about being kicked out of a study group. His master plan was to zip cuff students in a classroom to desks, wait for the police, and spray petroleum jelly on the ground so they would slip and fall and he would take their guns and shoot everyone.

Was he also going to play a crazy kazoo as accompaniment to the officers falling to the ground?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

nutranurse posted:

This is the face of impotent white rage.

I dunno, I just see sadness and emptiness. She looks like she's about to cry, like :smith:.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This is when, immediately after the deaths were announced, Romney unscrupulously lunged on the incident to score some cheap political points on Obama, right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JT Jag posted:

Yes, and he was very happy about it

Kind of like when he thought it was hilarious to strap the family dog on the roof of the car for a several hour road trip?

Or dunking a kid in the school toilet and other bullying?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JT Jag posted:

Idle thought: I wonder how much, if any, damage was done to the culture of the Internet as a direct result of the Republican administration that existed for several of its formative years.

SomethingAwful? :razz:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I keep trying to visualize Carson getting a tenner for finishing an exam from the professor and can only laugh.

Like, what the hell? Did he get a high five and a reach around, too? Who does this?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So they're trying to figure out whether or not they should charge like an entire high school with CP charges after finding that everyone was trading naked photos of each other at a high school. It was centered on the football team, as usual. They even had point values assigned to photos and bragged about their collections, stored in phone apps that hide photos. Someone found out about it via an anonymous tip. Some people were just sending girls unsolicited dick pics and asking for pics of themselves in response. It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

This is a case of "Too Big to Fail", I take it?

(Incidentally the response to the unsolicited pictures as well :v:)

Dollars to donuts the decision to prosecute will be evaluated on two sequential criteria of the school district:

1. Per capita income

and

2. Race

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 7, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mandatory lesbian posted:

the happy valley cult is a good cult name, i'd probably join them

Rand Paul Mr. Carpainter/Mani Mani '16!

Blue, blue...

[e]: also please keep us updated on Mizzou protest news. I, for one, am interested.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MickeyFinn posted:

CNN is calling the Mizzou protests "racial unrest" in the banners and showing footage of black students protesting. Good lord, what a horrible way to portray the situation.

:wow:

Why is CNN so, so bad? :cripes:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder if a massed organized college football strike could lead to student financial reforms. Seriously, I think their total revenue topped 4 billion dollars last year.

This is a good idea. Maybe for student loan grievances more specifically? :pray:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nichael posted:

Has anyone considered that the president using time travel to rewrite the timeline in order to kill baby Hitler is just another example of flagrant executive overreach? I'd rather have a president who would staunchly preserve our way of life by never violating the sacrosanct rules of the universe. Obviously this is just another dent in Bush's poorly organized campaign.

The only moral time travel is my time travel.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crain posted:

No you don't get it. When he becomes president America will be Great AgainTM. Thus we will say Merry Christmas because gently caress any other holiday or religion.

Make America Great Again. :911:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Where is the non-GBS Mizzou politics thread? Can't seem to find it in the Sports sub-forum.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Boon posted:

Because a lot of the rules on SA fell apart sometime around 2010 or so and then everything went to hell (GBS). It's starting to come back a bit, but who knows.

I still miss GBS 1.0 sometimes. :smith: Now it's FYAD-lite.

I also miss LF.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Isn't there a thread (besides GBS) dedicated to Mizzou events?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Kingfish posted:

It got closed.

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Paul Ryan is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. It is folly to ever entertain otherwise.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

moller posted:

Paul Ryan is also a randian obsessed with eliminating parasites (like hungry elementary school children) despite going to college using social security survivor payments and spending nearly the entirety of his adult life working in the same government he wants to destroy. His family's lucrative construction business largely serves government contracts. He has spent his life suckling at society's breast and now wants to make sure no one else can have any.

His "wonkishness" is a media fiction, he's as dense and boorish as any self-obsessed libertarian. His math was made up and didn't withstand the most casual of scrutiny. His "favorite band" are staunch anti-fascists whose politics are diametrically opposed to his but he was too much of a knob to pay attention to the lyrics.

loving bicep curls.

"The debt just keeps going up, UP, UP! Now here's how (read: by privatizing/eliminating social security and public healthcare) I'll literally cut all government expenditures to zero! :shepface:"

[e]: Basically this:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What I love is how, in Paul Ryan's view, reaching 90% of debt:GDP will grind the economy to a halt and stagnation while dramatically cutting the debt:GDP to 20% would boost the economy instead of... you know, severely loving up the economy. Food stamps tend to be one of the biggest drivers/most efficient returns on economic growth while upper percentile tax cuts tend to have a negative return on economic growth.

Even in Econ 101/102, one of the most basic formulas you learn is C+I+G+Net Ex = GDP. C being consumer spending, I being investment, G being government expenditure, and Net Ex being net exports (exports - imports). Severely cutting government expenditures tends to, uh, hurt GDP. But nothing like a little willful ignorance will help that!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Didn't Alabama recently outlaw Sharia law as well? I can't say I'm surprised, but still... :cripes:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ISIS is going to be impossible to deal with for the same reason the Taliban was impossible to deal with in Afghanistan: we're unwilling to intervene with the source (Saudi Arabia in the former, Pakistan for the latter).

Anything that doesn't involve throttling Saudi Arabia et al via economic/financial means isn't going to be effective at all in curtailing ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radbot posted:

Knowing that, in a world of more than six billion people, there will always be assholes like the Paris terrorists - is it worth it to try and fight for good, knowing that any progress made will be thrown away the instant some dude shouts "allahu ackbar" and unloads a few AK magazines into innocent people?

Agreed. Let's not try to fix anything, let entropy take its course, why bother, hail Satan.

:rolleyes:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

What an opportunistic shithead.

All the cheap political point scoring since the Paris attacks has been really loving aggravating. :argh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://www.tedcruz.org/news/cruz-america-must-stand-with-our-allies-against-the-scourge-of-radical-islamic-terrorism/

Don't think this has been shared yet - Cruz is criticizing Obama for being too careful not to blow up civilians.

Ted Cruz posted:

We must immediately recognize that our enemy is not ‘violent extremism.’ It is the radical Islamism that has declared jihad against the west. It will not be appeased by outreach or declarations of tolerance. It will not be deterred by targeted airstrikes with zero tolerance for civilian casualties, when the terrorists have such utter disregard for innocent life.

Emphasis mine.

:ironicat:

Where's the increasingly huge ironicat when you need it?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Motto posted:

There's no irony there, because he doesn't actually view killing civvies as an issue. He's matter-of-factly saying that due to terrorists hiding as or operating near civilians, it's impossible in his eyes to effectively combat them if you care about sparing innocent lives.

The irony is he is calling out the terrorists for their disregard for innocent life when he himself bears that same disregard for innocent life. It doesn't matter if he actually sees it that way or not himself, the irony is still inherent in the situation.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that for a multitude of reasons and that's a polite way of telling the states to go gently caress themselves.

Wild baseless speculation, but what would happen if state authorities went "no, gently caress YOU dad!" and tried to forcefully prevent refugees from settling in their states a la George Wallace blocking the doors of the University of Alabama in 1963?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just think i might need a hug because all of this has finally gotten to me.

:smith: Sorry about that bro. :sympathy:

If any sense at all prevailed, we would think twice about playing right into the hands of ISIS or at least proving we're above their level morally, and yet here we are. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
[e]: Sorry, double post from phone quote is not edit, etc

• Locked thread