Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

zen death robot posted:

Hell I've seen a few posters in the RSF support Sanders but say they'll vote for Trump instead of Clinton if she wins the primary. I really don't get that one at all.

Anti-establishment, outsider vote. Politics is a game and the sharks have locked up the board, so you just vote for whoever flips the table over. I think it's very understandable for someone who feels disempowered to go for a decisive outsider candidate over a reliable establishment candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Except I can't really understand how someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood could vote for a sitting senator.

How could someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood vote for a sitting congressman to be their Senator? How could someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood vote for a powerful and popular mayor to be their congressman?

Really? You can't bring yourself to understand it? In good faith? You're honestly confused by this.

Bernie and Trump are both leading revolts against their party's establishment. That's why they're seen as outsider candidates.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of /pol/, there's no better forum to scrape for feeds.
Here's some nice livefeeds of the streets of Minneapolis right now. Pretty intense protesting.

http://bambuser.com/v/5945025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXbuP19AWDM

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pillowpants posted:

So is Obamacare about to collapse or something? Seems like the republicans I know are excited about it.

It's superbly hosed, but it's getting better. Firms that are pulling out, such as ... HealthNet/United Health, are doing so not because of structural problems with ACA, but because they've been piss poor at marketing and adapting to the new regime.

But what do I know, I'm a Punjabi woman who speaks no english with three different health plans all of which send me overdue notices every month despite being paid in full. Thanks ACA! And that's when I'm not being silently unenrolled from my plan because I failed to file an affidavit about my income. The system is really really really hosed, but it is slowly getting better.'

I just entertained some inlaws from PA, and the physician husband was gleefully noting the withdrawal of health networks from ACA... but knowing how shittily they got their act together, it comes as no surprise, and really has to do more with the bloat and managerial incompetence in an overfattened economic sector than the ACA. These people have had it good for so long marching in lock-step mediocrity that their management can't handle the change. Or doesn't want to. Or they realize if ACA works, it necessarily means the consolidation of a lot of insurers, and their redundancy.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 25, 2015

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Could you summarize the point in your link? I'm not invested enough to listen to an entire podcast.

• Locked thread