Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Failed nominations of House speakers, Benghazi panels run amok, just ticking down the days until the US economy implodes from partisan gridlock! But the year’s not over yet… There’s still plenty of time to drink and survive visiting family this holiday season. How time flies, when you’re holding on for dear life! After all, it’s only the USPOL thread!

114th Congress Bingo Card

House Speaker John Boehner is out, which means that House Speaker Kevin McCarthy Paul D. Ryan is in (nothing's going to change)! Let’s check out what the House and Senate has been up to lately…

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

So Hillary may have been on a bender, fending off Benghazi, a Biden campaign, and other Democratic candidates, but did you know she could get 10 years in jail for not telling Obama? Obviously, you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • @dick_nixon: "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Paul Ryan: "gently caress you; got mine."

WaPo seeks to understand the people who want to "Make America Great Again"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

NSA Did 911 JEFF BOSS FOR PRESIDENT

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Some elections to watch (or go vote in if you live in any of these places):

So in short, don't expect a lot of good news tonight if you're liberal.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

wilderthanmild posted:

Ohio has a very confusing Weed legalization thing with two amendments that appear to counter each other. One that legalizes marijuana and establishes a predetermined number of eligible grow sites.(And allows for personal growth and sharing up to a certain amount). One that establishes a board that reviews any ballot initiative to make sure it doesn't give preferential economic status.(And is worded in such a way that they could pretty much create an arbitrary roadblock to success for any ballot initiative) and explicitly is worded to block initiatives related to schedule 1 substances.(Because they couldn't just name Issue 3 by name?)

Ah you're right, I forgot about that initiative. The reason Issue 3 attacks the preferential economic status is because Issue 3 explicitly reserves the right to those grow sites to people who promised to fund the pro-3 campaign.

I also forgot that Seattle's Initiative 122, on the ballot today, would establish a public campaign financing system which would give residents four $25 vouchers to fund the candidates they want, which would be interesting to see play out if approved.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In a surprise to no one, the Walmart bomber attacked them because they stopped selling confederate flag paraphernalia.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

After I posted that 3 more buses of seniors got dropped off to vote.

This isn't just my polling location either, the other 2 locations in the district are reporting similar levels, and while county hasn't responded, they sound really confused bust and surprised as well.

This was strongly predicted to be a low turnout, very close election. So either there is a sea change and people are really pissed at the GOP so our mediocre GOTV efforts are being so effective, or there is a PAC or someone no one saw on the field doing their own GOTV operation and we are about to get completely blindsided and destroyed.

Busloads of seniors doesn't sound like a Democratic GOTV effort IMO.

EDIT:

Fried Chicken posted:

Joanne update: she bought a sweater, because it is getting to be sweater weather. But she is very annoyed because they didn't have what she wanted. She had ordered a pink leather jacket with the word PINK on it but when it arrived it was nearly the same color as her red leather jacket (no word on if it said RED). So she wanted to exchange it but they didn't have what she wanted and since it was ordered she wasn't sure she could get a refund, and she doesn't think she should spend the money twice.

I advised her to get a refund, that she can get that online these days, don't let them rip her off, and that she should treat herself and get the nice jacket once she gets the money back

Please keep us apprised of all further Joanne goings-on.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 3, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PupsOfWar posted:

"I think it's important to switch the parties around every so often" is something I heard multiple times last month

"We gave the Democrats 8 years in power with Obama. It's time to give the Republicans a chance. I'm voting Trump."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In unrelated news that is relevant to something that came up in this thread a few weeks back... The culling begins at NatGeo (in order to make it profitable, of course).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Jesus just let something not terrible happen this election, somewhere, please.

Well let's see whether San Francisco votes in a sheriff that will send illegals back to ICE (probably) and to restrict Airbnb (probably not).

So yeah, everything will probably be terrible, but I guess I haven't heard anything bad out of Philadelphia or Seattle yet.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In good news:

• Seattle looks likely to pass its new public financing scheme. In votes tallied so far, Initiative 122 is winning, 60-40.
  • Kshama Sawant is likely to stay in office, but narrowly. She is currently leading her opponent 52-47.

Since Washington is all mail-in though, we won't know the final results for a while yet.

San Francisco will begin reporting on its races and measures in about 20 minutes (but this count will only include mail-in ballots).

EDIT:

computer parts posted:

I guess first he'd have to find some residing in his county.

Sexist, are we? The currently probable winner, Vicki Hennessy, is the former deputy who specifically intends to lift the "gag order" preventing SFPD from notifying ICE if any illegal immigrants are being released. So SF will go back to being one of those cities where ICE just sits outside the jail waiting to pick people up as they're released.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 4, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Initial mail-in results from San Francisco have incumbent Mayor Ed Lee easily winning a second term. Vicki Hennessy is also leading the incumbent, Ross Mirkarimi, 64-29. Measure F, the measure which would have restricted Airbnb rentals, appears likely to go down to defeat, 39-61, as do plans to suspend market-rate development in the Mission District, 36-64.

So no good news there either (as expected).

These counts exclude in-person ballots, which won't be added to the count for another hour, so this is admittedly preliminary.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Add Kshama Sawant to the list of people defeating Democrats tonight!

It's a bit too early for that. She's leading, 52-47, but Washington is mail-in, so the final counts could easily change based on who mailed in what over the past few days. Can't find details, but I think it only needs to be postmarked by today.

EDIT: I have also been informed that Mirkarimi is actually an awful person aside from his stance on immigration, so I guess it is good that he lost even if he was less pro-contacting-ICE than Hennessy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

This is hilarious but my mother asked about Edwards and asked if he was kin to Edwin Edwards. I told her yes. She is now voting for Edwards.

Don't lie to your mother.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

I forgot about this:

I think it's the 12th? Amendment that makes the Electoral College.

The previous one to that was 1971.

The EC is in the original Constitution. The 12th just changed how the EC selected the president and vice president (i.e. they were to be selected independently rather than VP being the runner up for President. Imagine a Vice President Mitt Romney)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Time to throw some logs onto the eternal Hillary vs. Bernie flamewar: In addition to previous claims that he's sexist, Hillary is now insinuating that Bernie is racist.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Here's your roundup of pundits (mostly Vox) Arzying/smugly-crowing about the impending death of the Democratic Party this week:

I thought that Slate had one too, but I think I confused it with Sargent's WaPo article.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nonsense posted:

Likud is really bad, and Hillary shouldn't be taking Israel advice from Schumer.

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-pms-media-adviser-suggested-obama-anti-semitic-173702562.html

Except that she's going to depend on him to keep lovely bills from hitting her desk and making for attack ads when she vetoes them.

Plus they were both in the NY delegation, so...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Necc0 posted:

That's mostly in response to the Fed taking a harder position on raising interest rates.

Exactly. The Fed has been waffling on raising interest rates over the past few months because while unemployment is down, growth and inflation aren't really up, and employment isn't exactly booming.

Higher interest rates cool the economy of course, since it's more expensive to borrow (which banks love since they can pass the interest rate hikes on to consumers) and bonds become more attractive because their guaranteed rate of return is higher.

Since the Fed signaled last month that they still might raise rates this year (recent weakness in jobs figures had suggested that the economy had stalled) investors have already been a bit shaky, and of course continued growth of employment figures is only fuel for interest rate hawks' arguments that the economy needs to cool down. Since this translates to a considerably higher chance that they'll go up in December than expected yesterday (probably 75%, up from 35%), investors are pulling their money out of the market in anticipation of the hike and the market drops.

If it weren't for the risk of an interest rake hike in the near future being directly linked to this news, the market would have gone up, as you thought it would.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Just remember folks, if Obama did this this person would be screaming for his head. It's always okay if you're Republican.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

If you (not you Friend Chicken but you in general) think the markets falling is necessarily bad for the average worker, you've got some Cool-Aid to get out of your system, but of course I could be wrong.

Well it's bad for their retirements, to the degree they can even get an IRA or 401k.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fknlo posted:

I think Carson might get a bump from all this poo poo. Right wing media seems to be doubling down on it all and asking why Obama never faced the same kind of scrutiny.

Bill Ayers? Jeremiah Wright? Birthers? "Dreams from my Real Father"? Accusations that he's a crypto-Muslim?

It's like they've forgotten every accusation they've thrown against him.

Of course the point is that "the MSM wasn't the group to ask him the hard questions, only Fox and the right-wing media was brave enough to do so" so those don't really count.

It's the same old hash of "why won't people take my fictional world and treat it as fact?" that we've seen for a while now, most recently in condemning CNBC for not just blindly accepting that candidates' tax plans will work, or that they are the true representation of the American populace, even if they are at odds with their party.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In news that should surprise no one at this point, the Fifth Circuit ruled that Obama does not have the authority to set up DAPA or expand DACA.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shageletic posted:

Also in other Senate news, they passed a defense bill explicitly banning Guantanamo detainees from being transferred to the States or other countries.

Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO) went so far as to claim Obama was breaking the law by having the Defense Dept even study the matter. So naturally I'm just waiting for Congress to file another lawsuit against him. :munch:

(Don't forget to note the obligatory jab at Hillary)

Shageletic posted:

And it looks like there's a push to create an anti-Obamacare bill even more extreme than what passed in the House last time. The only sticking point is how much Planned Parenthood gets shafted, with several moderate Republicans like Susan Collins against adding PP related amendments.

Remember the fine print of that budget deal: Sure we got a budget passed but we still haven't passed any appropriations bills to spend that money. And those still need to be passed before Dec. 11, or we will still have a shutdown.

So far as I'm aware, Republicans are still planning on sending a grab-bag of red meat to Obama through reconciliation (which is undoubtedly what you're hearing about here). No word on what the contingency plan is if he vetoes.

greatn posted:

Do they think these guys are gonna break out of supermax? They'll probably just get terrorized by other inmates.

evilweasel's right, but I've always wondered why our criminals are safe in Supermax and terrorists aren't. Are Republican lawmakers sending our most dangerous criminals to a place they'll just break out of? And why aren't they doing anything about it? Walk the walk, guys! Send the Unabomber to Guantanamo!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 10, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Chuck Schumer has decided that he has not been getting enough attention as the Senate Minority Leader heir-apparent. As a result, he's announced that he's decided to set his sights on yet another travesty rocking America: caffeinated peanut butter.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

USPOL November the wages are too drat high!

Yeah I think this is tonight's takeaway, Cruz's partiality for hummers aside.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

icantfindaname posted:

For a completely different, historical discussion: I saw mentioned in the right wing media thread something about the Missouri protesters wanting to remove busts of Jefferson due to his slaveowning legacy, and it got me thinking about the Democratic Party and its ideological heritage. Would it be accurate to say that the United States prior to the Reagan realignment of the 70s had essentially two separate, parallel liberal political traditions, roughly corresponding to the Jeffersonian-Jacksonian Democratic Party, and the Hamiltonian-Whig Republican Party, and that these two collapsed into one single one embodied in the post-70s Democratic Party? In that case the realignment of the 70s would probably be the most significant, fundamental political shift in the United States' history

I've always found the realignment theory only partially valid, in so far as the party that is not the Democratic Party has always been defined as the party of industrial interests, while the Democratic Party has defined itself in opposition to whatever interests industry is currently pushing (be it abolitionism, the gold standard, loose monetary policy leading to the Great Depression, high taxes, etc.)

The only exception to that would be Republican anti-trust movements during the Progressive Era, but otherwise it holds pretty well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

I don't think you "get" Matt Drudge.

Yeah. I don't think you really appreciate the fact that Hillary is old and sickly and likely to keel over at any moment during her prospective presidency, so shouldn't we elect someone younger, healthier, handsome and oiled like Marco Rubio?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Republicans to court: "Invalidate net neutrality because we tried to pass a law restricting it, thus proving we never intended to let the FCC do so in 1996." Using legislative history to justify a court decision? IOKIYAR.

Meanwhile, Chuck Grassley is blocking State Department nominees until they admit Hillary Clinton was a doo-doo head.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ogmius815 posted:

That's not what legislative history is.

Yeah I know. Legislative history is that done prior to the passage of the law. I'm not as well versed in how originalists like interpreting based on subsequent attempts like this though. I think they're more lenient, but it still relies on interpreting legislative intent, at least of subsequent laws.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

Just run one of the Koch Brothers directly already

I mean, that's the endgame here

Tried that already.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Time for some bleed-over from the Paris Attacks thread (in so far as it relates to USPOL):

Conservatives now have yet another tool in their belt to use to dismissively wave away any discussion about Mizzou.

A Syrian passport was found near the body of one of the terrorists, and was identified as belonging to someone who may have been a refugee who entered Europe through Greece. So you can expect that to become a talking-point/question for the various presidential candidates (for seriousness of said candidate on terrorism, for closing the Mexican border, etc.)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
That new thread tag sure is getting a work out these days :allears:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Slate's got a hot take in which they chide young millennials for thinking that any change from the way things were post-9/11 is needed. Clearly we need more boots on the ground, more pervasive intelligence, and possibly draft people for the cause if need be!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Talmonis posted:

On that tack, would ISIS go so far as to time an attack during the election year to ensure a Republican wave and response?

I don't understand. You mean you were expecting someone other than President Trump?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In the continuing story of rolling back post-Bush progressivism because of Muslim terrorists: "[Edward Snowden] has blood on his hands."

So expect more attacks on encryption in the next few years.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A Winner is Jew posted:

West coast Best coast. :smaug:

Still waiting on Jerry Brown...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GlitchThief posted:

Are unions usually such a disgrace?

See the Kohler union fight above. They'll fail the messaging game, of course, but fighting together for the rights and wages of lower tiered union employees is pretty much the antithesis of FYGM.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Obama were serious about fighting terrorism, he'd get Congress to declare war on ISIL and use his war powers to force everything he wants through.

If Obama were serious about fighting terrorism, he'd ask Congress for the open-ended AUMF Republicans want to have in place on January 20, 2017. (Remember, one of the reasons Republicans rejected his AUMF was because it wasn't broad enough for a Republican president to abuse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paul Ryan just came out and said that the President does not need a new AUMF against ISIS, so that puts a hole in that GOP talking point

Actually it bolsters it. If Obama had the power in him all along, then why hasn't he used it to put boots on the ground? :bahgawd:

• Locked thread