Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BigRed0427 posted:

I think part of the problem is that their are people who think the first amendment also protects them from criticism. Not censorship, criticism.

Definitely, that's basically the issue with people who spout racist speech and then act indignant when everyone else calls them on it.

A lot of the people who rambles about how sjws are destroying free speech are really asking for speech on the other side to be banned so they can freely voice their opinions without being criticized for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Effectronica posted:

Most of the underlying assumptions regarding absolutist free speech are faulty. Yelling at someone is not intended to be a reasoned attempt to convince them of their wrongness, the vast majority of the time. The explicit goal of groups like antiabortion protestors is to abuse freedom of speech to create a hostile environment that must be traversed in order to execute another right. The explicit goal of fascist marches are to cow and terrorize people.

Insisting that these are perfectly acceptable and no different from any other kind of speech degrades political speech, renders a polite discussion identical to Operation Rescue vomit, renders a heated argument identical to a Nazi rally in a Jewish neighborhood. Eventually, this spills out into the corruption of nonpolitical speech.

The problem is that you can't trust the government to tell what's a good speech and what's a bad speech, hence why in the US at least there's very wide latitude for expressing speech of a political nature.

quote:

Thus, the consequence of this absolutist attitude is the slow death of any societal values. When racism and antiracism are officially identical, racism is eternally enshrined as good. The central argument against this argument, in turn, has been to say that racism might be bad now, sure, but in the future, it may be good.
No, it doesn't.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Effectronica posted:

This is more about how people think about this kind of speech, since the forces of evil, sexists, racists, etc. are often able to convince people of liberal inclinations that their beliefs must be respected through this kind of argument.

I think there's a big difference between "respected" and "allowed"

I don't respect a lot of arguments made by the right concerning free market fundamentalism for instance, but I don't think the Cato Institute should be banned.

• Locked thread