Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need to prosecute people criminally for everything but "being a massive rear end in a top hat in public" is a reasonable thing for there to be police powers to prevent.

Such law will only exists for 15 minutes before it becomes infamously associated with police abuse.

Who What Now posted:

It depends. SedanChair's scenario was vague, and so was my reply. If the scenario is that a gay couple is minding their own business and they are approached by a third party who begins to, very calmly and politely, tell them that their lifestyle is disgusting and sinful, then if the couple asks the third party to stop and/or leave then that third party is obligated to do so or be guilty of harassment. I believe you have a freedom to speak freely, but you do not have the freedom to be heard by an audience against their will.

I can just walk around in a blackface halloween costume and get my detractors arrested? awesome!

on the left fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

More importantly why do you keep avoiding my question about the potential political element of calling gay people inhuman?

Seems wasteful to start out by saying gay people are inhuman. You'd want to use a media campaign to show them as inhuman monsters, then voice support for the growing mass of people who start voicing the image you've carefully constructed.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

archangelwar posted:

Narrower (legal) Definition
In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group. The law may identify a protected group by certain characteristics. (I suppose you could construe that disparagement could occur absent intent, but the deliberate act of promulgating the hate speech is intent)

Edit:
Not all hate speech is specifically "intent to intimidate"
It is expression of desire for: intimidation, violence, oppression, undermining humanity, etc.

Is truth an absolute defense to this law? Specifically the part about disparagement of a protected individual or group. Canada's law is great because factual statements are disqualified from being considered hate speech. Example: "Orange people are stupid" is hate speech, "Orange people have an average IQ of 84" is not

• Locked thread