Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LividLiquid posted:

Would you folks mind taking the Superman/Batman chat to that movie's thread?

oh, is there a new RLM video out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thexerox123 posted:

The nerve of people talking about Batman v Superman in a thread about internet critics whose most recent review was of Batman v Superman.

This but without the sarcasm.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

LividLiquid posted:

Would you folks mind taking the Superman/Batman chat to that movie's thread?

I'm really sad that by the time I see this movie the thread will have moved on. Please keep talking about Batman v Superman until at least August so that I can zoom in, say I fell asleep while watching it, then totally lose interest in commenting any further.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Jimbot posted:

There was also the scene where he's watching TV, the scene with Martha, and the scene on the mountain. Those were testing his resolve as to his place in his world. His conversations with Perry over making a difference and hope were also insights into his character while Perry's was insight in the cynical and hopeless world he inhabits.

See, those scenes SHOULD stick out to me, yet they don't! They felt less like character insights and more some poo poo someone just added in the movie just to things along :(

it also doesn't help Cavil (and by extension Synder) is just straight aping Christopher Reeve when he takes on the Daily Planet Clark persona (in a film this loving dour, THIS is the one thing you copy from the Donner films?)

if possible, we could move the thread here?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769615&pagenumber=57#lastpost

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcUZrkHWoMQ&t=906s

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The real question is, how long will RLM continue to let BvS (and its critic proof nature, since they didn't stop people from seeing it) stick in their collective craws? I think they kept occasionally wailing and nashing teeth about MoS on HitB long after it left theaters.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

"As out of place as Batman wearing an Iron Man combat suit"

Jesus. Is this what being triggered feels like?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

(and its critic proof nature, since they didn't stop people from seeing it)

You're saying this about the movie that set a record for sharpest box office drop after opening weekend. Deadpool made more last weekend. So yeah critical reviews and word of mouth def--

Oh wait it's you.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MisterBibs posted:

The real question is, how long will RLM continue to let BvS (and its critic proof nature, since they didn't stop people from seeing it) stick in their collective craws? I think they kept occasionally wailing and nashing teeth about MoS on HitB long after it left theaters.

I think they they'll definitely bring it up in the Captain America review, because both movies are about superheroes fighting each other.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

PiedPiper posted:

Yeah, I mean everyone knows Batman is DC and Ironman is Marvel. Do it's impossible for them to meet much less exchange tech. :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FrensaGeran posted:

You're saying this about the movie that set a record for sharpest box office drop after opening weekend. Deadpool made more last weekend. So yeah critical reviews and word of mouth def--

Oh wait it's you.

It dropped because of word of mouth. If the critics were the primary reason, it wouldn't have opened as well as it did in the first place.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd love a DC vs Marvel film.

The DC characters looking at the Marvel ones like they're loving psychopaths - making quips after they murder mooks. While the Marvel characters show contempt for the DC characters being moody debby-downers questioning why their so awesome and their role in the world, ect. The tonal whiplash would be worth the price of admission alone.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It dropped because of word of mouth. If the critics were the primary reason, it wouldn't have opened as well as it did in the first place.

Let's say it was a team effort, which is why it was record breaking. The word of mouth was summed up as "The critics were right"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PiedPiper posted:

:confused: When did RLM making fun of lovely movies become a bad thing?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

khwarezm posted:

:confused: When did RLM making fun of lovely movies become a bad thing?

Nah, it's just :goonsay: in me.

Jack needs to up his research game. Batman in exoskeleton has been a thing for decades.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PiedPiper posted:

Nah, it's just :goonsay: in me.

Jack needs to up his research game. Batman in exoskeleton has been a thing for decades.

I don't remember that in any of the previous Batman movies or in the live action show... that doesn't sound canon to me.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm pretty sure one of them said that they liked the bulky Batsuit during their discussion. It's just a joke.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Patreon update says a new HitB is being edited, with a commentary track that will come out a few days after the HitB episode is released.

MisterBibs posted:

Still getting upset that they are making fun of something you like, huh? You should let things go, you will be happier.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
that's good news the commentaries are cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah they're super chill.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I enjoy listening to the RLM commentaries, even if I haven't seen the movie

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I endorse the Red Letter Media commentary tracks. Buy them on Bandcamp™ today.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thexerox123 posted:

The nerve of people talking about Batman v Superman in a thread about internet critics whose most recent review was of Batman v Superman.
...where talk of the review would make sense, but talk of the movie itself has its own thread.

Man, I even asked all nice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mallratcal posted:

Still getting upset that they are making fun of something you like, huh?

Upset? :confused: It's a source of entertainment. It's no different than them kvetching about Transformers, or hearing CineD-type folks get mad about Jurassic World. Like when they brought up that The Boss beat it at the BO after a few weeks, or its first-week drop justifying or validating what they said about the film (:lol:). You can't find that pureness of resentment most places.

If they got over BvS being the third most successful DC film (and admit they weren't paying attention to big chunks of the film and/or were drunk when watching it), it'd be boring.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 14, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

...where talk of the review would make sense, but talk of the movie itself has its own thread.

Man, I even asked all nice.

People were talking about the movie in the context of the review, though. If people start debating the points made in the review, that's still talk of the review. It doesn't make sense to start debating about RLM in the BvS thread, it does make sense to debate BvS in the RLM thread.

(And FWIW, I didn't get a nice read from your request... the age-old problem of tone of voice not being conveyed over the internet.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crosspost from GBS thread:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Upset? :confused: It's a source of entertainment. It's no different than them kvetching about Transformers, or hearing CineD-type folks get mad about Jurassic World. Like when they brought up that The Boss beat it at the BO after a few weeks, or its first-week drop justifying or validating what they said about the film (:lol:). You can't find that pureness of resentment most places.

If they got over BvS being the third most successful DC film (and admit they weren't paying attention to big chunks of the film and/or were drunk when watching it), it'd be boring.

You get so worked up in Pre-Rec chats, though. Screeching about TMNT and Mad Max, even though no one is talking about them. So yeah, movies make you mad. You are the poster child for internet guy who gets mad because peoples opinions don't always line up with yours. Be better bibs.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 14, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mallratcal posted:

You get so worked up in Pre-Rec chats, though. You are the poster child for internet guy who gets mad because peoples opinions don't always line up with yours.

You're projecting; I don't get mad when people's opinions line up with mine, I find it funny as all hell. Getting mad over a successful, popular DC movie that they have to lie about to complain about? Funny. Chat folks shocked that the Turtles movie is getting a sequel quicker than Fury Road and/or the fact that the former made more cash than the latter? Funny! Rich mad about Steam and whining about DRM like it's the mid-90s, without irony? Funny as hell!

RLM/PreRec, at times, can compete with Chicago sports talk radio for "This is what some people actually believe, can you believe it?" entertainment. It's almost paradoxical, because for the most part they collectively feel like regular, normal people on the subjects they talk about. Until they regress to not-my-StarSuperBatmanWars nerdpinions, that is. Then it's entertaining in an completely other way.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 14, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MisterBibs dropping truth bombs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioit5DWsWsw

That's unfortunate, I kinda hoped the movie would be better. But it's also pretty much what I expected.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

You're projecting; I don't get mad when people's opinions line up with mine, I find it funny as all hell. Getting mad over a successful, popular DC movie that they have to lie about to complain about? Funny. Chat folks shocked that the Turtles movie is getting a sequel quicker than Fury Road and/or the fact that the former made more cash than the latter? Funny! Rich mad about Steam and whining about DRM like it's the mid-90s, without irony? Funny as hell!

RLM/PreRec, at times, can compete with Chicago sports talk radio for "This is what some people actually believe, can you believe it?" entertainment. It's almost paradoxical, because for the most part they collectively feel like regular, normal people on the subjects they talk about. Until they regress to not-my-StarSuperBatmanWars nerdpinions, that is. Then it's entertaining in an completely other way.

There's no projecting. When you bring stuff up in chat everyone ignores you, and still you continue week after week, you've got some issues.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why is it 'funny as hell' when people don't agree with you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

(and admit they weren't paying attention to big chunks of the film and/or were drunk when watching it)

oh christ not this excuse.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Why is it 'funny as hell' when people don't agree with you?

Old men yelling at clouds is funny. Doesn't matter if the cloud is the box office numbers, or the popularity of the property outside of fan bubbles. If you're not watching Internet movie reviewers (RLM specifically, others broadly) in part because they will usually-bordering-on-inevitably get mad/dislike movies normal people like and make successful, I don't know why you're watching.

These are people who actually, sincerely, legitimately believe that their first videos to go viral were not long-form Not My Star Wars videos. There's a gif made here of one of them calling such an analysis "horribly wrong". If you can't find the humor in that, I don't know what to tell you.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 15, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most of the prequel reviews deal with basic storytelling, structure, and cinematic problems. it's people trying to defend the prequels that use that whole "they're just nitpicking star wars minutiae" poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

Old men yelling at clouds is funny. Doesn't matter if the cloud is the box office numbers, or the popularity of the property outside of fan bubbles. If you're not watching Internet movie reviewers (RLM specifically, others broadly) in part because they will usually-bordering-on-inevitably get mad/dislike movies normal people like and make successful, I don't know why you're watching.

These are people who actually, sincerely, legitimately believe that their first videos to go viral were not long-form Not My Star Wars videos. There's a gif made here of one of them calling such an analysis "horribly wrong". If you can't find the humor in that, I don't know what to tell you.

Um. I'm watching them because they're funny and I like hearing what they had to say after they watch a film.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

bibs, do you often think everyone is lying to you? Or just RLM?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mallratcal posted:

bibs, do you often think everyone is lying to you? Or just RLM?

RLM isn't lying to anyone? I thought I made it clear, they legitimately believe the stuff they put out. Anyone can generate laughs by having characters kvetch about Star Wars or Steam being DRM. It's funnier when it's stuff they actually honest-to-God believe it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I'm still not sure what definition of "normal person" you're going by here, specifically how it has anything to do with liking or disliking a given movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

RLM isn't lying to anyone? I thought I made it clear, they legitimately believe the stuff they put out. Anyone can generate laughs by having characters kvetch about Star Wars or Steam being DRM. It's funnier when it's stuff they actually honest-to-God believe it.

Ok. Everything is fine then.

• Locked thread