Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

tetsuo posted:

Is it massive? I thought that while the Sky pl deal is the biggest it's also split more evenly among the teams whereas the top 2-3 teams in the other European leagues - maybe Germany excepted? - are taking home the majority of the broadcasting money for their league, roughly evening it out.

Only Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern can match English financial muscle and you don't see them struggling to get through piss easy group stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Something something big club something history something West Germany.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Blue Star Error posted:

Only Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern can match English financial muscle and you don't see them struggling to get through piss easy group stages.
Christ, I didn't say they did, I'm just wondering about this massive financial gap

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

Its almost like these teams play in lovely 1/2 team leagues where they can afford to play the b side in the league and focus on the CL.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

opus111 posted:

I dont know why everybody wrings their hands over english teams in the champions league. It's generally a boring competition and european teams are dull to watch. as long as the premier league keeps being the most fun to watch (which I think it is) then who cares? Let the boring fancy dans have their diving matches.

drat, you are right. if only the prem wasn't so competitive and fun to watch.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
just now im smacking my lips thinking about watching the english premier league full of good english lads who mean well, instead of those diving european "fancy dans'

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

oliwan posted:

just now im smacking my lips thinking about watching the english premier league full of good english lads who mean well, instead of those diving european "fancy dans'

same. chelsea tottenham is going to be real good :)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Digital Jesus posted:

Something something big club something history something West Germany.

posting with alzheimers

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

oliwan posted:

This but unironically

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Here's the net spent on transfers of the last 5 years:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Doing massive lols at that chart, especially comparing #8 and #9

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
tbf liverpool and manchester is a complete dump so they need to pay over the odds for every single player..havent been to munich so cant comment

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
How on earth have Juve bought 374 players in five years, are they just rolling around academies scooping them up by the busful?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
munich is the most boring and beourgois city in europe op

edit: very clean streets though

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

How on earth have Juve bought 374 players in five years, are they just rolling around academies scooping them up by the busful?

my question is how have they swollen their squad by more than 50 players in five years. maybe the mods can tell us

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It counts every player that has joined the team. Most of that 374 seem to be youth players returning from loans.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
apparently arsenal are flying to norwich lol

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

apparently arsenal are flying to norwich lol

Why not? 2 hours on a bus or a train or 15 minutes on a plane.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

reminds me of when that brazilian guy was on FW and Ac jimbo slapped him down about this.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
ive herqardd that its an insurance requirement given the higher risk of injury in a coach. also there arent really any proper roads in norfolk its a real pain to get to. im actually going to aldeburgh for xmas and it took like two hours from tottenham to the coast last time

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
now i know what ypure thinking. aldeburghs in suffolk. but the point still stands itpo

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Juve's loan army makes Chelsea's look modest by comparison.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

And here are the big profit boys of world football in the past 5 years:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I like how the other 203 departures from Santos just about managed to beat Neymar's fee.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ephex posted:

Doing massive lols at that chart, especially comparing #8 and #9

We're 17th kill me

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Byolante posted:

Its almost like these teams play in lovely 1/2 team leagues where they can afford to play the b side in the league and focus on the CL.

those teams don't use their b squads in the league

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Juve's loan army makes Chelsea's look modest by comparison.

They also owned half of almost every youth player in the entire league system in Italy until the FIGC banned that practice.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Homework Explainer posted:

those teams don't use their b squads in the league

He means they can afford to rest all the big players when they are playing anyone below 4th or 5th in the league

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Also, those teams aren't pushed as hard and as often as PL teams. When you're up 3-0 at halftime you know you can just kick it about a bit in the second half and the other team isn't likely to make a comeback.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Shoren posted:

Also, those teams aren't pushed as hard and as often as PL teams. When you're up 3-0 at halftime you know you can just kick it about a bit in the second half and the other team isn't likely to make a comeback.

As a free market capitalist, I believe that quality comes from high level competition. In the long run EPL teams will be better off thanks to playing in a stronger league.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

They also owned half of almost every youth player in the entire league system in Italy until the FIGC banned that practice.

Can't spell juvenile without Juve

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tsaedje posted:

He means they can afford to rest all the big players when they are playing anyone below 4th or 5th in the league

No, they can't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dunban posted:

No, they can't.

bayern just stop playing after 70 minutes instead

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the prem is just too drat competitive

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tsaedje posted:

i know what he meant, don't patronize me. i actually watch those leagues and they do not do that

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
yes its absurd to suggest that playets like ronaldo and messi are rested for big games because how would they score 100 goals a season if that were the case

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They're not being rested as such, but both Barcelona and Real Madrid can essentially play at half speed against many of the teams in the league and still win comfortably.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
percentage of premier league apologists who actually follow the other leagues they are talking about: 0%

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Maybe the truth is.....hmmmmm.....somewhere in the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

oliwan posted:

percentage of premier league apologists who actually follow the other leagues they are talking about : 0%

What do you suggest we do? Actually watch Spanish football? How else are we supposed to have ridiculous uninformed arguments?

• Locked thread