Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Rooney is piss

he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Without wanting to enter the world of Advanced Stats, there's not necessarily a problem with creating a low number of chances, as long as those few chances are relatively of higher quality and more likely to result in a goal than the higher numbers of chances created by other teams. Particularly for a team like United who tend to face packed defences, there's arguably some merit to the plan of creating two or three excellent chances and dominating possession rather than trying for more speculative chances, losing the ball and potentially being done on the counter.

In Hernandez' first season his goals/shots ratio was insanely good, partly because his finishing was great but also because he seemed to only ever shoot if he was all but certain of scoring. No half-chances, no long shots, etc. Contrast with someone like Ronaldo who shoots wherever possible and scores a pile of goals but also loses possession a whole bunch. Madrid are good enough defensively to deal with this, but recent history suggests United currently aren't.

The side is currently taking this to an extreme in our run of 0-0s, but a sample size of three games is not all that meaningful. Over the course of the season so far we've picked up the fourth most points and that is the only stat that really counts. The high possession, low-scoring approach is not going to win LVG any awards for style, but he won't mind too much if it keeps picking up points. And with a team that has struggled defensively in recent seasons, it's a pretty understandable strategy, at least in the short term. Build a team from the back, etc. Not conceding is great (pizza-worthy, even) so it's just a matter of getting that attacking fluidity back. Rooney has been loving garbage for a long time and actively harmful to a lot of our play going forward, so unless he personally improves (or is dropped) it's going to be tough for the team.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

I like this post

I just wish now and again Schweinsteiger or Herrera would take a punt from range.

Thanks, friend. And yeah I agree, it's immensely frustrating. And I wish plan B was "shoot a bit more" rather than using Fellainis big hairy bonce any time we're not winning after 70 minutes. But I can see things clicking sooner or later, and at least we have a more solid denfensive base to build on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

Newcastle and Sunderland will both be really funny to see get relegated but I really can't decide who I want the third team to be, Sherwood's Villa would have been it but now there's no funny third option

Chelsea

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

trem_two posted:

I hope he goes to Chelsea.

And gets relegated hilariously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Why would they leave a club with free pizza?

Free pizza and a BPL winner's medal.

• Locked thread