Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Modern football is great, it's United that are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The Big Taff Man posted:

I disagree completely, Barcelonas style of play has ruined football and the 4231 that everyone plays now leads to boring uninspiring football, bring back two men strike partnerships.

West Ham are playing with a 4231 and playing the most entertaining football since Zola and I'm having lots of fun watching it. Formations aren't inherently boring, it's the managers who are scared to fail and instruct the teams to play that way, or the players who don't have the skill or nous or initiative to take the game to an opposition that are the boring part

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The Big Taff Man posted:

No what I'm taking him to task is that everything has to be instant. I dont think the issue with the players not taking risks can always be put at LVGs door, indeed in recent games he questioned why the team dont shoot more from outside the box, and questioned Herrera for not taking a chance. Yet when he does that he gets criticised by other posters here for having a go at a player. I think theres too little belief in the players themselves. At the end of the day we're in 4th place, we held City at home and I think theres a lot of positives. We were a very outside shot for a title challenge at the start of the season and its still the same now.

It's possible that van Gaal is being criticized because he is publicly admitting he doesn't know why his team aren't doing things, which seems to suggest either his team aren't doing what he tells them to do, or are and are then being made scapegoats when it goes wrong. Going on to then publicly criticize a player (which, putting aside this being basic bad man-management, has backfired spectacularly for Mourinho this season) only reinforces the idea that LVG doesn't quite have the ability to get his team to play the way he wants them to, and doesn't quite know how to handle either the press or his players. There's plenty of posters who aren't United fans, and hardly seem to be ABUs, chiming in to say that LVG doesn't look all that impressive.

He's still got United back into the top 4 and is a million times better than Moyes mind, so maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

The Big Taff Man posted:

I thought you'd been playing a 442 diamond or 433 tbh

Big Sam had us in a 442 diamond last season but its Payet Moses and Lanzini behind Sakho now. The two clubs I watch every week are both playing a 4231, and the one I watch in person won the title last season with that formation playing arguably the best football seen as yet in the league. Suggesting that putting 2 up front automatically leads to more exciting football is daft and naive.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Frankston posted:

Far too much Man Utd chat in this thread tbh and not enough chat about Remi Garde's claret & blue army

Aston Villa are terrible but I'm not sure if it would be more funny if they get relegated or if they stay up

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

chuggo is BACK posted:

I wanted villa to go down under sherwood and now either they'll survive which is boring or they'll get relegated under someone else and sherwood won't get the blame

Newcastle and Sunderland will both be really funny to see get relegated but I really can't decide who I want the third team to be, Sherwood's Villa would have been it but now there's no funny third option

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ninpo posted:

Allardyce not keeping Sunderland up would be funnier given how much he rates himself.

This! The excuses and floundering and everything would be magnificent, plus Sunderland aren't a very likable team anyway

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

jet fuel can't melt steel studs

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'm real fuckin mad about Payet's injury and McCarthy's tackle and West Ham's slide into mediocrity now

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

It's progress, I guess. Two years ago we lost two of our best players in Carroll and Reid and slipped into a relegation fight. We're in a situation where we've lost Payet and Valencia and the worst that can happen is mid-table mediocrity. I still think we'll pick up the results we need to. I just don't think we'll be doing any more giant-killing until Payet is back.

Agreed 100%, even if we lost Carroll and Reid now with Payet and Valencia out I'd be confident in a midtable finish, which is real nice. I've got faith in Lanzini to fill Payet's gap reasonably well, especially if we can get Song back into the side to help him out.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

how did lanzini end up playing in the middle east in his early 20's considering how good he is

They offered crazy money and he wanted to set his family up, apparently he had offers from real teams but couldn't turn down the wages at Oil FC

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

Most people have two but it only takes rupturing one to be out for the season.

Rupturing two would be a hell of an effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Starsnostars posted:

They got Boruc on a free after we released him and if I was a Bournemouth fan I'd rather see him in goal than Federici.

Boruc guarantees at least a couple of horrendous mistakes every game but will also make some cool saves, Federici offers neither

• Locked thread