Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

beedeebee posted:

Nice table scrub.

It is nice, look at Chelsea way the gently caress down there in the gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LVG made some "interesting" comments in his pre-CSKA press conference.

LVG posted:

Rooney is our captain but also an example for the whole team, he has more credits than any other player. I have explained that to the group already, one and a half years ago. I still have confidence in Wayne Rooney.

Also apparently United totes can attack because / but it's a process. Starting to get a bit tired of that line after 18 months of process.

LVG posted:

Until now there is always progress. I can remind you of the fact that you were saying, “Defending, defending, that is the problem", now we are the best defenders of the Premier League, you are saying that we cannot attack. No, it is not true. It is only a moment in the process.

Also, Memphis was dropped from the Dutch national team recently and according to the manager, the reasons aren't surprising.

Danny Blind posted:

I think Depay is a player for the future. But there are other issues to look at. Perhaps Louis van Gaal has also said something.

In football you must function in a team. He doesn’t always do that. I have also told him when I called him to say he’s not in there. That’s something he has to learn.

I mean, he's not wrong. Blind is spot on in saying Memphis needs to be more of a team player, but I can't help but wonder if it'll help his confidence to hear that LVG is talking smack about him to people. Here's hoping he'll take it as a wake up call.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is lvg staying on next season?

His contract runs until the end of the 2016-2017 season so barring a firing yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Breath Ray posted:

what are you brainiacs expecting lvg to say... : /

Something other than "it's a process" over and over again. He's been managing United for 18 months now and it's not like he's tinkering with the lineup every week. He's largely set on the system, formation and lineup he prefers with substitutions happening like clockwork. And it's not like the team is constantly playing better, either. All the evidence we can see points at this being the way he wants United to play.

It's not a process. It's a team playing dull and boring football where avoiding risks and mistakes trumps creativity and creating opportunities. It's a system where possession is king. That picture with United being ranked number 1 or 2 in the league in possession and sideways/backwards passes and 19th or 20th in shots and chances created speaks volumes.

E: I'm not saying "LVG out" or that he's doing a terrible job as manager. I'm just saying the excuse is wearing thin and I'm starting to worry that he's not deflecting criticism and protecting the team, but actually believes what he's saying when he states that United were the better team against Chelsea despite losing, because they had 65% possession or whatever.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 3, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Big Taff Man posted:

Memphis has played the same way since his first game. In recent times he's been substituted because of how poor he's been. Its like you dont even watch the games.

"Memphis was dropped [...] the reasons aren't surprising. [...] Blind is spot on."

I agree with you that he's been poo poo, and I think the reasons for that are largely mental. He's got all the tools to be a great player but he's making the wrong decisions, and I hope that this is the wake up call he needs. But at the same time I'm worried this will just make him even worse because hearing in a roundabout way that his manager is talking poo poo about him to his national team manager probably won't do wonders to his confidence.

The Big Taff Man posted:

He's building a team up again, its a process that will take time.

That is my point of contention: I'm not convinced he can get it done. I agree he's done a lot right: the defence looks good (although I think that's largely down to DDG and Smalling being in insane form, United as a whole have looked pretty shaky in many games), he did do what Fergie and Moyes steadfastly refused to do and bought midfielders. He's done many good things. United's attacking play just isn't one of those things.

Many pundits and ex-Reds have voiced their similar concerns: that LVG has the team playing boring and robotic football, that the players look afraid of making mistakes and that United are loving up by trying to retain possession at all cost, without then doing much with that possession. The attacking football is dire, and where I disagree with you is that I don't think he's going to make it much better.

I'm not saying he's happy with United going goalless for three games in a row now, or that he's chuffed United only had two shots on goal total in the past two PL games. I'm saying his system isn't likely to produce the kind of free-flowing attacking football many United supporters expect and like, and that having tons of possession and a couple of shots on goal is what we'll likely get.

And I hope to God I'm talking bollocks and as wrong as wrong can be.

quote:

You say Van Gaal uses his substitutions like clockwork (which I think is bollocks too so I'd love your reasoning for this) but Moyes made the same changes pretty much every match.

My reasoning for this is that it's pretty much a guarantee that if, for instance, Fellaini doesn't start the game, he'll come on around the 60th minute and usually doesn't help the game at all. Moyes was worse, but is that really a good defence? Saying someone is better than one of the biggest failures in EPL history isn't much of a merit IMO.

The Big Taff Man posted:

Im sick of people talking about Rooney to be honest. What about how bad Memphis has been, or Darmian in recent matches? Its not like taking Rooney out instantly makes us a better team

I disagree. Taking Rooney out would instantly make United a better team, because he is currently utterly useless. It wouldn't immediately make United amazing because he's not the only player playing below their level (or the level they would need to be playing at), but he is a crucial player and is supposed to be playing a crucial role in the team. When he can't even get 5 meter passes right, that's a loving huge problem.

Fake edit: also what Bogan Krkic said.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Big Taff Man posted:

I dont see whats wrong with Van Gaals comments

Well, if those are the comments Blind was referring to, then nothing. I got the impression that LVG had said something to Blind, which contributed to Memphis getting dropped from the national team. In that case, hearing second hand from the papers that your boss got you booted from your national team might not exactly make him LVG's number one fan.

quote:

Surely you can see Smalling being in form is because of the changes that LVG made? Playing him alongside Blind was a masterstroke in my opinion, and the way he's now much more confident has meant that seeing him line up alongside Jones isnt the worry that it used to be.

Maybe. Maybe not. LVG has definitely shored up United defensively, there's no question about that. But I would say it's something that gets overstated frequently. Palace, for instance, created several rather good chances and United were lucky to escape with a point. I would not hold that performance up as a great defensive effort, for example.

quote:

A sub tends to come on about the 60-70 minute mark for one of the midfielders whenever theres a Carrick or Schweinsteiger on the pitch but that is more expected as it reenergises the midfield

I just think it'd be nice to have some other ideas as well, especially since Fellaini has also been playing like crap recently. Instead it's just Fellaini on like clockwork and when he comes on, it usually kills what little attacking play United had stone dead, because suddenly there are two players on who can't control a pass let alone make one.

quote:

As I said before if it was me I'd drop Rooney but I dont think theres any point unless you change the system or get more from the players

I do. I absolutely do. When Martial was the striker, United's play flowed a lot better, they created tons more chances and scored actual goals. Yes, some of that was down to them changing the system (and some to them playing a striker who played like a striker instead of huffing and puffing about in midfield all match long), but if it's working, why shift away from it?

That kinda ties into my whole point. If it is, as LVG insists, a process, why does he keep undoing the good work he occasionally manages to do? Why not stick with what was working, or try to build upon it? It feels less like LVG trying to find what works with this team and more like him trying to force the team into playing the way he wants to regardless of how well it's working.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 3, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I just realized this week is yet another loving poo poo-rear end international week. God damnit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

peanut- posted:

https://vid.me/arPm

McCarthy knew exactly what he was doing there, what a complete oval office. Right in front of the ref too.

That should be a lengthy ban. Won't be but should.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm gonna enjoy it because I'm from one of like 8 countries who give a poo poo about this international week

Unless we lose. We generally lose

I'm Finnish so we predictably massively bottled our qualifying campaign in pretty much the first game, but even if he hadn't, loving internationals man.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tsaedje posted:

Not to try to insert facts into this interesting discussion but Arsene does really only say "there is some doping going on" and that the current tests are poo poo, which isn't exactly a revelation.

Yeah, after it basically turned out that the Russian anti-doping testing facility was a massive front for payoffs, it doesn't take much of a leap of faith to imagine further "shocking" revelations are on the way.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheBigAristotle posted:

Martial left the France match on crutches, that doesn't seem like a good thing

loving international friendlies.

E: apparently Carrick's done his ankle as well and will be out for some time, so that's United hosed then. United have won 9/10 games Carrick's started this season, and only won 2/8 where he didn't.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 18, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Big Taff Man posted:

Personally I think the stats are a load of shite

Up to a point, yes. However, they do back up the viewpoint that Carrick is still a hugely important player for United and there still isn't anyone in the team that can properly replace him. Or if there is, LVG doesn't know how to make that team work. So in either case it's bad news for Manchester United.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fat gay nonce posted:

They had craiglen on 3 weeks ago and he spent 8 minutes just muttering arsenal cunts over and over again while therat and der shovel applauded

Now let's be honest, who here wouldn't applaud?

Also, something else to applaud: Belgium's coach is telling Fellaini to quit United.

Marc Wilmots posted:

A player who does not play for his club is annoying for a coach. Fellaini could play to support the attack, as the No.6. He has very good technique, very good ability to track back and recover. Maybe he will try to find a new challenge in January, if it is possible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PirateBob posted:

Fellaini has very good technique.

[img-Fellaini running with the ball diagonally and out of play]

That is literally what I was thinking of while reading it. I mean I realize it's part of Wilmots' job to big up his players but god drat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also, Martial, Carrick, Rooney, Valencia and Fellaini are out at least for the Watford game :rip:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't think anyone would argue that Memphis has been good this season, but I can't wrap my head around LVG's handling of young players. In the same article he also talks smack about Januzaj and how he has to compete with players "of a higher level" at Dortmund.

And it's not the first time either. In the past he's singled out young players for individual mistakes in his press conferences while conveniently ignoring more similar mistakes by senior players in the same games.

Wasn't he supposed to be great at building up players and developing young talent?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

poo poo Farm posted:

hmm looks like van gaal knows what he was doing>

OK now someone get him to start slagging off Rooney so he can score some goals as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shoren posted:

Anyone who doesn't want to see that happen hates football.

I thought this was pretty classy.

Always liked RVN, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Why would they leave a club with free pizza?

Chelsea's subs bench is REALLY COMFORTABLE.

• Locked thread