Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bellerin is injured? Jesus. Maybe that's why he looked a big poo poo this weekend.

Just let the doctors shoot those dudes full of steroids Wenger you stubborn old oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shoren posted:

Which match were you watching? Montero gave him trouble once or twice but otherwise he was running around like normal. Wenger said it was a slight groin problem so I suspect he is resting Bellerin for the derby on Sunday.

Montero gave him loads of problems throughout the match. I meant to say he looked "a bit poo poo" certainly not terrible but not up to his standard.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Broletariat posted:

Agreed. Montero is a very very good winger though.

Both Bellerin and Monreal were mediocre this weekend.

They always look worse when there is a bit of defending to do. Bellerin's heroic run back to take the ball from Gomis aside they always have groan inducing moment or two when there is a lot of defending to do.

I'm not sure its a fair criticism of the players, its certainly fair to say both players are instructed to go up a lot more and contribute to the attack and both Bellerin and Monreal really look great when they are making wonderful runs, playing 1-2, crossing etc. I think it would be asking an awful lot for a player to do able to do both tasks really well.

Still that leaves whole matches or patches of time where they look lacking in defensive nous. Bellerin certainly got caught out a lot by Montero at Swansea and last night against Bayern Monreal looked like he belonged in MLS.

That seems the role of a modern fullback though so I guess maybe I need to recalibrate what I consider good defensive work from that position. But when I see Bellerin or Monreal struggle like the later did at Bayern I wish the club had the option of a more old school fullback to really contribute to a solid defense.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

Tell me of these defensive left and right backs of yore.

There is certainly a big difference in the way players are set up and expected to contribute these days. Lee Dixon played a lot differently than Hector Bellerin.

Yeah Fullbacks always provided an option out wide but I think the way some teams play is different enough to talk about.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bea Nanner posted:

I'm pretty nervous for the derby. Koscielny should be back. Bellerin and Arteta don't look set to pass a fit test.

It's one of those games Arsenal could easily just melt down on. Son and Kane are genuinely good players so I hope Son is still lacking fitness. I mean this team could have a melt down any given day so who knows what happens this weekend.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Consider that the same could have been said of the Zagreb and Olympiakos and yet Arsenal managed to conjure up a poo poo show both games, also the team has a habit of following an embarrassing drubbing with a nice and mediocre performance.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That old retard thinks not doping is a good thing doesn't he?

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

It's actually because they dope like gently caress

lmao if you think teams everywhere don't dope tons and tons

• Locked thread