Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it the Ken Onion knife manufactured by Shun/KAI, or was someone else the manufacturer? If it's Shun, they have a mail-in sharpening service with information here, however you have to fill out a form in advance, and the turnaround is about 2 weeks. I can't speak to their quality, but I'd assume it's at least adequate. Looks like it's $15 as the shipping and processing fee, plus whatever you spend to ship it to them.

I sent in a knife and it came back at least factory sharp. It took closer to three weeks but I'm on the east coast.

e. Is there a goon approved standalone timer? I just killed my third timestick - that's become annoying

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I need a new kettle. I bought a Cosori 1.7L electric kettle last week, but even after running a dozen or more batches of water through it (plus one batch of white vinegar), the hot water it produces smells like musty old towels. I would prefer a kettle that produces water that smells like hot water. Any suggestions for something available in the US that doesn’t literally stink?

I’m also considering going back to a stove top kettle, as the electric one didn’t really fit well in my small kitchen's limited counter space. After reading a bunch of reviews on amazon, however, they all seem like junk (even from brands like All Clad, Cuisinart, and Viking). Anyone with a stove top kettle they like?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use the Cuisinart for $73 daily and no issues. https://a.co/d/c0JT0u3

I I bought a $20 no-name (currently unavailable) for medical uses and it did fine until I got a different hand-me-down gooseneck. I'd just try another cheap one if you don't care too much https://a.co/d/ckhtBzm

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We have a stove top kettle from ikea, stainless and whistles when done. Use it on our induction cooktop.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BrianBoitano posted:

I use the Cuisinart for $73 daily and no issues. https://a.co/d/c0JT0u3

I use this as well. The temperature control seems accurate enough, and the water contact surfaces are mostly stainless, other than a plastic window to show the water level.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I also have the cuisinart electric kettle linked above, have used it for nearly a decade as our daily driver, and I have zero complaints and only good things to say about it. Would buy again for sure

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eccles posted:

I need a new kettle. I bought a Cosori 1.7L electric kettle last week, but even after running a dozen or more batches of water through it (plus one batch of white vinegar), the hot water it produces smells like musty old towels. I would prefer a kettle that produces water that smells like hot water. Any suggestions for something available in the US that doesn’t literally stink?
Not exactly an electric kettle, but I've had a Zojirushi water boiler for over a decade. It gets used daily and I've never had any problems with it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Boiling water is a pretty low bar to pass so I got what looked nicest in my kitchen, which is the Bodum kettle with cork handles. It's also goose neck so it pours well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I would not get gooseneck unless you are making pourover coffee. I prefer fast flow since I often boil the full 1.7L to get my pasta water boiling 3x faster than my gas stove.

I also make espresso 1-2x per day and I still prefer the Cuisinart even though the opening on my Flair is kind of small, because the Cuisinart boils faster than my Fellow Stagg.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Re: knife sharpening. I have one of these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/robert-welch-signature-hand-held-sharpener/p187267

It's a "pull through" sharpener but rather than just having fixed ceramic (or whatever) bars that you pull against, it has an offset-axis V-shaped ceramic/stone wheel and it does a great job of sharpening. I think I've seen people saying "They wear down your knives too much!!!" and maybe that's true if you're a professional chef who sharpens every day (or multiple times per day?) but I've been using mine on my knives every couple of weeks for like 7 or 8 years I think and the wear on my knives is barely noticeable.

Only thing to look out for is that I think particular models of this kind of sharpener do have the angle set for a particular knife - though I use my Robert Welch one for another brand of knife which I'm pretty sure had a different edge angle, and it's fine. Took a bit of going through the first time I did it which I guess re-set the angle?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Anyone have opinions on expensive butcher block cutting boards, specifically Boardsmith? It's very pricey ($340 for the 16 x 22 x 2) but it made Serious Eats' top pick and seems to have impeccable reviews around the internet as far as I can tell. I've read some complaints about Boos blocks splitting but nothing like that about Boardsmith. I'm looking for something large, sturdy, and that will last a long long time. Worth the money or will something cheaper serve just as well?

https://theboardsmith.com/products/maple-end-grain-cutting-board?variant=34751092719766

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-wooden-cutting-boards

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Anyone have opinions on expensive butcher block cutting boards, specifically Boardsmith? It's very pricey ($340 for the 16 x 22 x 2) but it made Serious Eats' top pick and seems to have impeccable reviews around the internet as far as I can tell. I've read some complaints about Boos blocks splitting but nothing like that about Boardsmith. I'm looking for something large, sturdy, and that will last a long long time. Worth the money or will something cheaper serve just as well?

https://theboardsmith.com/products/maple-end-grain-cutting-board?variant=34751092719766

My friend’s Boo Block split after 3 months of using it. She emailed them, showed them a picture, no receipt and they sent her a new one. Told her to keep the busted one. She fixed the split one and has two of them. I would say the $150 Boo Block is worth it if they have that type of warranty.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Can anyone recommend an induction hob? I've got a lovely coil stove and I'm curious about trying out induction.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Built in or standalone?

Built-in wise I've been happy with my GE Profile (30") for its price, but then again it's not like i bought and tried a bunch of them

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

alnilam posted:

Built in or standalone?

Built-in wise I've been happy with my GE Profile (30") for its price, but then again it's not like i bought and tried a bunch of them

I’ve got the same and I’m only meh on it. It’s a huge upgrade from electric, but I don’t like the touch controls and I feel like the whine at full power is annoying. Also, sometimes the pan detectors get all glitchy on mine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Vollrath or death. I've had my single burner 59500P for nine years and it's still going strong. If I ever redo my kitchen I am getting a two burner Vollrath induction burner and a two (or maybe single) gas burner and put them side by side. As it stands, I use induction for most of my cooking. Being able to do 1% increments is surprisingly useful.

E: helps that I got it for less than half retail (about a quarter of MSRP) because it had cosmetic damage

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 27, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

I’ve got the same and I’m only meh on it. It’s a huge upgrade from electric, but I don’t like the touch controls and I feel like the whine at full power is annoying. Also, sometimes the pan detectors get all glitchy on mine.

I had wanted real knobs but Sadly very few induction cooktops I could find had physical knobs, and I wasn't going to pay an extra grand just to satisfy my hatred of capacitive touch control. But the happy ending is, the touch controls have been way less annoying than I'd feared and pretty reliable. I won't say I like them but i don't dislike them.

I do find that whine noises only occur with my lightest pots also, heavier stuff does not whine.

Anyway yeah it's not perfect. But as you said it's way better than regular electric imo, and would a fancier unit for twice as much be much better? Most of the reviews I read did not convince me they would but i will never know for sure

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm a big fan of my cutting board from Larch Wood that I bought 2+ years ago. I love the functionally and look of it.

https://www.larchwoodcanada.com/shop/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I really like the plastic induction burner I bought at Kam Man for $30. I mostly only use it for home hot pot, but as far as I can tell it works pretty much the same as a full sized induction range.

Very little English printed on it, though. It took me a while to figure all the modes out.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For cheap induction cooktops you can buy on amazon, it looks like this was recommended last time the topic came up:

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-Precision-Induction-Cooktop-Ceramic/dp/B01CHB1Y22?th=1

I have a duxtop and it's fine but this one whines less and will work with smaller pans

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

alnilam posted:

Built in or standalone?

I'd appreciate recommendations for induction and electric glass top built in cooktops. Doing a full kitchen renovation soon and would like both types of burner.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Anyone have opinions on expensive butcher block cutting boards

I have had a 15x20x3 inch end grain maple butcher block board for a few years. It isn’t one from a name brand and only cost me $90.

The most important things to know about it are that it takes up way more room on the counter than I thought, it doesn’t fit in the sink, and it weighs almost 30 pounds. So it lives on the counter and gets wiped down with a damp sponge to clean it.

It’s fine, but I wouldn’t buy it again knowing what I know now.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
anyone familiar with removing stubborn manufacturer coatings on carbon steel pans or woks? I've had some bad luck getting it off the wok I just purchased, I wasn't really able to blue it on my ceramic stove and scrubbing with bar keepers friend didn't do the trick either.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

idontpost69 posted:

anyone familiar with removing stubborn manufacturer coatings on carbon steel pans or woks? I've had some bad luck getting it off the wok I just purchased, I wasn't really able to blue it on my ceramic stove and scrubbing with bar keepers friend didn't do the trick either.

Soaking in vinegar will usually strip it down to the bare metal, link to said wok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
In the oven on the self-clean cycle should bake off any manufacturer coatings.