Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for this thread, my wife and I recently got married and we were actually just talking about how a knife block was our one big wedding gift that we wanted but didn't get. Glad to see that we maybe shouldn't bother picking one up? They are hell of expensive. Though admittedly I do want a western-style chef's knife (currently do most of our cutting with a santoku), just because it looks way easier to finely mince things which is something I've been practicing.

My knives could probably use some sharpening though, would prolonged use of a pull-through sharpener mess up my knives long-term? What's the best sharpener I could buy using this $50 Williams-Sonoma giftcard we got as a present?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah it's not like the 5 inch serrated knife and 6 inch utility knife and other stupid poo poo they include is ever going to be useful. Better to have multiple chef knives, multiple paring knives and maybe a santoku and an 8 inch serrated for bread.

I don't think a pull-through will cause permanent damage. I would personally use the Williams Sonoma coupon on something else and get the AGPTek for $30 on Amazon, but if you really want to use the coupon, get an electric sharpener by Chef's Choice

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 9, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Added rice cookers, food processors and some other things and removed the bit about stand mixers having plastic gears based on Chef's info

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mortar and pestle is great for pesto as well. I'm allergic to pine nuts so I haven't tasted that much pesto out of a jar, but my gf swears the home smashed is miles apart. Being able to make it with toasted sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts is worth the space the mortar takes alone for me. Very coarse ones are good for old school guacamole, baked paprika, etc. Slightly coarse ones are better for spice as the coarsest ones will trap bigger fragments of the spice. Smooth marble ones are completely useless and trying to grind even a dozen peppercorns in it will drive you mad.

Spice storage in jam/jelly jars. I'm a sucker for this, recycling, money saving and practical use in one. Instead of buying dedicated jars, wash out used jars, use them to store whole spices, seeds, etc. They are not 100% air tight, but plenty tight enough as they either have a flexible pot metal lid or an actual plastic gasket. A tiny finger coat of sunflower oil or even water helps get the best seal.
I also have a small jar I use for dressings and vinaigrettes. Oil, vinegar and spices into the jar, :flashfap: for 6 seconds, thick, lovely fluid pours over your tossed salad.

Transmetropolitan posted:

Wise goons, what do you think about rice cookers?

Although very few people use a setup like that now, I still use a rice cooker + an external PID controller to do sous vide. So if you're interested in that, it's an argument in favor of getting a non-smart rice cooker. I've also used it as a bain-marie, making bearnaise sauce in a steel bowl heated by the temp controlled rice cooker water. Less chance of temps running away and a causing a scrambled egg disaster.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've been told I need to get a cast iron frying pan so I don't destroy my non-stick one by cooking meat and things in it. I had a look round, and the most common brand I can get here (the Netherlands) is Le Creuset. They're kind of expensive (26cm pan is 140 euros), and I notice that's a brand that's mentioned in the OP. Is it worth investing that much money in the pan, or should I shop around looking for something cheaper? I can afford the cost, and I would like a good quality pan that lasts.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gerblyn posted:

I've been told I need to get a cast iron frying pan so I don't destroy my non-stick one by cooking meat and things in it. I had a look round, and the most common brand I can get here (the Netherlands) is Le Creuset. They're kind of expensive (26cm pan is 140 euros), and I notice that's a brand that's mentioned in the OP. Is it worth investing that much money in the pan, or should I shop around looking for something cheaper? I can afford the cost, and I would like a good quality pan that lasts.

Definitely not...cast iron should be one of the cheapest pans you can find. They're made to be abused and are relatively indestructible. Le Creuset makes good poo poo but I wouldn't be caught dead buying non-enameled cast iron anything from them for prices like that. Keep shopping around, or just get a solid tri-ply stainless steel pan rather than cast iron.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wouldn't spend that amount on a cast iron skillet. It's the sledgehammer of the kitchen, it doesn't need fancy enamel. I'd go for the Ikea one or similar, spend the money you save on wine and steak for the frying pan initiation rites.

e: f, it takes about as long to heat up as I do writing a post

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Like this one?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90264845/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
No, you want to find one of these.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

All-Clads got a factory second sale running from the 9th to the 11th.

http://www.homeandcooksales.com/

code: ACVIP15

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

.Z. posted:

All-Clads got a factory second sale running from the 9th to the 11th.

http://www.homeandcooksales.com/

code: ACVIP15

Anyone have experience with their Copper line? Any better than their standard Stainless?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

THF13 posted:

Any ones in particular to look at? I can't find a lot of information in English about them. Sweethome is recommending this ~$220 10 cup pressure cooker model since it cooks faster than their previous pick of a ~$150 Zojirushi.

The 6 cup version of their previous pick is what we have and we love it. Can't say one bad word against it. Makes amazing rice. Can't speak to the newer/more expensive pressure line, though they sound good.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Marklar posted:

Anyone have experience with their Copper line? Any better than their standard Stainless?

Everything I've read says you will not notice a difference between any of the All-Clad lines in terms of performance.

The most noticeable things will be handle design and pot/pan lip.

So get whatever you think is the best price and feature mix.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

C-Euro posted:

My knives could probably use some sharpening though, would prolonged use of a pull-through sharpener mess up my knives long-term? What's the best sharpener I could buy using this $50 Williams-Sonoma giftcard we got as a present?

Pull through sharpeners are bad for non-disposable knives for a few reasons that are summarized by ruining the edge and not being able to do anything else. They don't do permanent damage usually, but prolonged use can make fixing the damage a pain.
I know the Edge Pro and whatever variation of knockoff are quite popular around here, but you could get a good waterstone or a couple good oilstones for inside of $50, and you'd have a lifetime supply of knife ammo for any non-serrated knife you'll ever own.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Marklar posted:

I own actual, expensive rear end copper pans and will tell you that you should just get stainless, thick, tri-ply. I would not buy all-clad either, because a. they are overpriced and b. they have lovely handles.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

THF13 posted:

Any ones in particular to look at? I can't find a lot of information in English about them. Sweethome is recommending this ~$220 10 cup pressure cooker model since it cooks faster than their previous pick of a ~$150 Zojirushi.

I also am thinking of buying Sweethome's pick for a toaster oven since it seems more useful than a regular toaster without taking up much more space, but having never actually owned a toaster oven I'm not sure it's worth it.
that looks like a decent pick, but it would depend on whether you are just looking for a toaster replacement or something more.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm looking to get my girlfriend a new vegetable slicer. She wants to be able to slice things really thin and while its pretty easy to find decent ones on amazon I want to get her the best slicer money can buy. I realize this is probably a stupid question but can anyone recommend a good one?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In the faq in the op we recommend the Bron slicer, restaurants have been using this workhorse for decades and it's $140:
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

THF13 posted:

I also am thinking of buying Sweethome's pick for a toaster oven since it seems more useful than a regular toaster without taking up much more space, but having never actually owned a toaster oven I'm not sure it's worth it.

I wouldn't suggest it if you want to be able to use your toaster oven as a smaller oven. It can't do actual baking, just toasting and reheating.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Steve Yun posted:

In the faq in the op we recommend the Bron slicer, restaurants have been using this workhorse for decades and it's $140:
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38

This looks awesome! Is there any tool I can get to ensure she doesn't cut herself on the slicer, I know a lot of cheaper slicers come with like a "cover handle" to slice the veggies/fruits with but not endanger cutting your hands.

I'm an idiot ignore me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Knifegrab posted:

This looks awesome! Is there any tool I can get to ensure she doesn't cut herself on the slicer, I know a lot of cheaper slicers come with like a "cover handle" to slice the veggies/fruits with but not endanger cutting your hands.

I'm an idiot ignore me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, even with the guard, use a terry cloth kitchen towel for extra protection (props to chef cuisinart for this tip, btw). As another poster stated in the previous thread, the mandolin demands blood and will not rest until it has tasted it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

1redflag posted:

Also, even with the guard, use a terry cloth kitchen towel for extra protection (props to chef cuisinart for this tip, btw). As another poster stated in the previous thread, the mandolin demands blood and will not rest until it has tasted it.

I picked up some of those cut proof gloves too!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Any thoughts on making the official non-stick recommendation that 2pack Calphalon? It seems to make sense to me given the lifetime warranty. Even with careful use, the T-fal fails after a couple years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What are you guys doing to your nonstick, that you just assume it'll be ruined after a few years? I have a cheap Farberware and it's lasted 10+ years. I hardly babysit it, either -- I just don't use metal tools or the green scrubby side of the sponge.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I bet you'd be surprised at how good a new one is. Mine seem to slowly degrade, not fast enough for me to ever really notice, but when I get a new one it works much better.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

What are you guys doing to your nonstick, that you just assume it'll be ruined after a few years? I have a cheap Farberware and it's lasted 10+ years. I hardly babysit it, either -- I just don't use metal tools or the green scrubby side of the sponge.

I'm not talking about ruining it, but the degradation of effectiveness of the non-stick is really obvious. I used the word 'fails' purposefully. My expectation is to be able to make sunnyside eggs without oil without any sticking.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Anne Whateley posted:

Just through using it you'll end up with tiny scratches and stuff in the surface at least, which will make things stick more and more as time goes on. Unless somehow you never stir or mess with things once they land in your pan.

Also I learned this late, but if you try cleaning it with water while it's still too hot you'll eventually get some warping too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think it only visibly scratches if you use metal. I use silicone, and if there are any scratches, they're microscopic. I do typically make eggs with a little butter or water in the bottom, though. I'll try doing it without either next time and report back.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I didn't have scratches on mine when I binned it for what it's worth. It just annoyed me one too many times with a layer of egg that unstuck only after cooling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, updated the non-stick section

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rurutia posted:

Any thoughts on making the official non-stick recommendation that 2pack Calphalon? It seems to make sense to me given the lifetime warranty. Even with careful use, the T-fal fails after a couple years.

I think the motion has already carried, but I'm in favor of listing the Calphalon unison nonstick 2 pack. My wife was gifted it and I kind of scoffed at the time, but they're actually heavy bottomed, heat evenly, and are nice pans. we've had them for two years with no scratches or noticable deterioration in quality. It's nice they only have one lid too. I have too many lids :(

edit : actually I looked them up, and I think our "unison" pans are a grade above what's in the OP. so idk. but I'd still recommend the ones I have. http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Uni...on+2+piece+10in - like this, but both 10in one with sloped sides, one with straight

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 13, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Unison definitely uses a better type of PTFE. I made the Contemporary the recommendation because you get a 10 inch and 12 inch, instead of an 8 and 10 inch set, I think the 12 inch might be more useful to someone who's a new cook, but now that I noticed that they have a 2-pack of 10 and 12 inch Unisons, I'll add them as a higher end option

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I have a De Buyer Carbon Steel pan. It does a lot of the same things as a cast iron pan, except its naturally non-stick due to the seasoning that it develops, is lighter, and requires a bit less maintenance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ugh, so recently Cook's Illustrated did a review of carbon steel skillets. Their favorite one was the Matfer Bourgeat, which is also one of the cheapest ones at $44. I guess nobody heard of this brand and then in the span of two weeks now they're sold out everywhere and retailers are price gouging the hell out of it by offering them for $300.

Mauviel, Turk, DeBuyer and Paderno all get good reviews and cost $80, except for the Paderno which is $42.

Anyone have a Lodge and have an opinion on it? CI said they were a little on the thin side and browned unevenly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get a Vollrath. You can never go wrong with commercial quality kitchen equipment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a Vollrath. You can never go wrong with commercial quality kitchen equipment.

Yeah, Vollrath stuff is great, I have one of their nonstick pans and it's easily the best nonstick I have ever used. I'd get one of the carbon steel ones but I already have an All-Clad tri-ply that works just fine.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
I need suggestions on what and where to get a cutting board and where to get a molcajete.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

IKEA cutting boards are so cheap they're almost disposable, if you're into plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Their wood ones are also super cheap and work well