Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
There's lots of Masterbuilt chat in the actual BBQ thread. I've had the MB40 for like 4 years and love the hell out of it. Highly recommend. It's tall, but not super deep, so if you're looking to do Turkey, it won't fit a massive one. Two smaller should be fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
I like amazingribs.com for all BBQ- related questions. They are head and shoulders more obsessed than anywhere else on the Internet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

There's lots of Masterbuilt chat in the actual BBQ thread. I've had the MB40 for like 4 years and love the hell out of it. Highly recommend. It's tall, but not super deep, so if you're looking to do Turkey, it won't fit a massive one. Two smaller should be fine though.

There's a BBQ thread? Where? (EDIT: I think I found it.)

Maybe I can ask there, too.

Will your MB fit a turducken? I'd love to smoke one of those if I ever get my hands on one. Or even just a regular duck (where do I even go to find whole ducks?).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 21, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There appear to be several posts scattered around the internet about smoking turkeys in Masterbuilts

A Sportsman Elite 30" will fit a 20 lb turkey, get a 15 lb turkey and you should be fine with whatever extra bulk the -ducken brings

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

(where do I even go to find whole ducks?).

I think I've seen whole ducks at Whole Foods.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

There appear to be several posts scattered around the internet about smoking turkeys in Masterbuilts

A Sportsman Elite 30" will fit a 20 lb turkey, get a 15 lb turkey and you should be fine with whatever extra bulk the -ducken brings

Are the Sportsman Elites what show up on Amazon when I search for "electric smoker" and then filter the results to Masterbuilt 30"? Or should I check Google?

Amazon doesn't show any model names for Masterbuilts.

EDIT: Like is this a Sportsman Elite?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 21, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah that's the one

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I found it with Prime eligibility. :D

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Every supermarket that I have ever been to has whole ducks. They aren't near the chickens though. They're usually frozen, right near the whole turkeys. They usually only have 3-5 of them, so if there is an empty spot next to the turkeys, there used to be ducks there, and somebody bought them all.

As for fitting a whole turkey in the MB40, technically there's more than enough cubic inches in there, but the MB is tall, wide, and thin. I am not at my house right now to check, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is only about 10ish inches DEEP, which would be your limiting factor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Every supermarket that I have ever been to has whole ducks. They aren't near the chickens though. They're usually frozen, right near the whole turkeys. They usually only have 3-5 of them, so if there is an empty spot next to the turkeys, there used to be ducks there, and somebody bought them all.

As for fitting a whole turkey in the MB40, technically there's more than enough cubic inches in there, but the MB is tall, wide, and thin. I am not at my house right now to check, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is only about 10ish inches DEEP, which would be your limiting factor.

It's hard to tell from the pics but according to the product dimensions, the 40" model might be about 5 inches deeper than the 30". Unless you're talking about a different model than the one I linked to.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good hand blender? Preferably with some attachments to reduce how often I have to get my large food processor out when I cook. Will mostly be using this to blend soups, salsa, baby food, whipped cream, etc.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here is an overly long comparison of several different hand blenders if you want to check it out. I personally have the Cuisinart CSB-79 (maybe that one or maybe a slightly older revision, but it looks identical and came with all the same stuff) and it has worked flawlessly in the couple of years I've had it.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Here is an overly long comparison of several different hand blenders if you want to check it out. I personally have the Cuisinart CSB-79 (maybe that one or maybe a slightly older revision, but it looks identical and came with all the same stuff) and it has worked flawlessly in the couple of years I've had it.

Thanks for the links. I'd forgotten seriouseats did equipment reviews too.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

walruscat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good hand blender? Preferably with some attachments to reduce how often I have to get my large food processor out when I cook. Will mostly be using this to blend soups, salsa, baby food, whipped cream, etc.

I came here to ask this exact question! Good timing :hfive:

Are there any good Thermapen deals going on right now? My mom wants to buy me one for Christmas, I love her even more now :swoon:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dead lettuce posted:

Are there any good Thermapen deals going on right now? My mom wants to buy me one for Christmas, I love her even more now :swoon:

Through 4PM today:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We really should get a mod to close the other thread if this is now the official one.

Anyway...

Anyone have a rec for a food dehydrator? I want to make some jerky. I do not want to use a bunch of air filters and a box fan.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy has a really nice one in the basement, I'll go look up the model later.

Sadly, I'm not allowed to dry any meat in it, since that would stink up the entire house. A stink that I would enjoy, but hey, it's her machine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We really should get a mod to close the other thread if this is now the official one.

Anyway...

Anyone have a rec for a food dehydrator? I want to make some jerky. I do not want to use a bunch of air filters and a box fan.

Got my dad this one last year. Has a no heat setting, which is good for proper beef jerky.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Does anyone know if this maltodextrin is different from tapioca maltodextrin for modernist stuff?

http://labelpeelers.com/maltodextrin-1-lb/?gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqov6wzx0tTKVYmfkH4kPkOCYQ1maN0nSmx4yRduvIvehoC_yLw_wcB

This is a really good price but I don't want to get the wrong thing, and I would also rather get it somewhere that I can also get sodium citrate.

Further, does anyone have a trusted site with affordable gastronomy ingredients?

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
At work I buy everything through Southern Style Spices. Think they have a website, and pretty sure they do home delivery.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Invisible Ted posted:

Does anyone know if this maltodextrin is different from tapioca maltodextrin for modernist stuff?

http://labelpeelers.com/maltodextrin-1-lb/?gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqov6wzx0tTKVYmfkH4kPkOCYQ1maN0nSmx4yRduvIvehoC_yLw_wcB

This is a really good price but I don't want to get the wrong thing, and I would also rather get it somewhere that I can also get sodium citrate.

Further, does anyone have a trusted site with affordable gastronomy ingredients?

I don't know of it is more or less affordable but I have had great luck with willpowder.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyway...

I use this one.

Easily expandable from the original 6 up to 20 trays, in case you need to get serious with processing a garden or an orchard. I like the timer and the adjustable heat. After a bit of practice I can get a pretty good product on a variety of foodstuffs and I don't have as much of a problem over-drying stuff overnight. Maybe it's just the the geek in me wanting more buttons and blinkenlights.

Main thing I don't like about it is that the trays are not dishwasher safe. Our sink is big enough to soak several at once but it would be a lot nicer to just throw them in the dishwasher after a big run of beef jerky.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Invisible Ted posted:

It's probably not the same. Dave Arnold on Cooking Issues has mentioned many times you can't just get tapioca maltodextrin either it has to be tapioca maltodextrin N-Zorbit M.

Willpowder and modernist pantry are both reliable sources where you can also get sodium citrate and other chemicals.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought a food dehydrator at WalMart and have eaten jerky meat out of it. Am I gonna die?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I bought a food dehydrator at WalMart and have eaten jerky meat out of it. Am I gonna die?

Well, was the jerky meat in it when you took it out of the box or did you make the jerky yourself

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yes, you will die eventually.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The time to do away with my glass top rice cooker has come and I'd like to get something respectable. Can someone who has fuzzy logic experience explain to me why this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074CDG6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I2LLN2UG9VGWYH&psc=1

is worth $60 more than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OBC3/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I1E8COTV70C691&psc=1

I'm only using it like once or twice a week, usually only for me and my wife but with the occasional guests.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The first one will take 45 to an hour to cook the rice regardless of how much water/rice there is. It adjusts the temperature and the vents to cook it perfectly. It no poo poo produces 'buttery' rice that I still cannot fathom. You can choose brown rice or other options which will change how it takes that hour to cook, whether keeping the rice warm in the beginning to germinate the rice before cooking (I think this is only available in the induction models, but it's an illustration of fuzzy) or doing a portage.

The second is their conventional rice cooker, so it'll just cook the rice until the water is absorbed/boiled and it reads the plate's temp as hotter than boiling. Might be for white rice only but I'm not sure.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

It no poo poo produces 'buttery' rice
Well you just talked me out of sixty bucks.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tonedef131 posted:

It is the good choice.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm ready to step my pots and pans game up, but not too high - I currently have two 12" ceramic non-stick bullshit pans that are starting to crap out on me. I want to switch to stainless but it's a little confusing. There's a store near me (Marshalls) that sells calphalon stuff pretty affordably but I can't for the life of me differentiate between their different product lines.

All of the pans I'm looking at look like stainless steel, but they are sold as just a pan with a price tag, so there's no manufacturer info to go on in-store. One pan is stamped 1392 on the bottom - which according to their website is a 12" omelette pan. This was $39.99 for the pan, no lid.

Another pan is stamped 5003, which makes it a 3 qt. saute pan - this was $24.99 for the pan with a glass lid. This is a little smaller than the 12" omelette pan and has straight sides, vs. the sloped sides of the other.

How the heck do I know what product I'm buying if all they put on the bottom of the piece is a pan-type number? - there's apparently a large variety of options from Calphalon in stainless, from single ply to 5 ply.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tonedef131 posted:

The time to do away with my glass top rice cooker has come and I'd like to get something respectable. Can someone who has fuzzy logic experience explain to me why this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074CDG6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I2LLN2UG9VGWYH&psc=1

is worth $60 more than this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OBC3/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRFGCEF0ASJ5&coliid=I1E8COTV70C691&psc=1

I'm only using it like once or twice a week, usually only for me and my wife but with the occasional guests.

As was said, it just produces much better rice. I also like the Micom because it's much easier to clean than other rice cookers, the inner lid comes right out so you can properly clean it in a sink and when the inner nonstick bowl wears out you can just buy a new one from Zojirushi for like $35 so it should last you a long time.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

If you want to get more for your money keep you can do things like:
- Set it up to make steel cut oatmeal for breakfast
- Make cake :o
-One pot meals by throwing in random items along side the rice to cook. For example: Diced chinese sausage, diced shitake mushrooms, some sesame oil and soy sauce. Mix it all up after it's done cooking rice and consume.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There are a ton of recipes online for things cooked in the rice cooker:
http://www.kikkoman.com/cookbook/search/recipe.php?numb=00000029

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used a Breville Boss Blender? I've got XMas gift cards and I'm thinking of getting a for real blender.

From everything I've watched and read it's supposed to hang right in there with Vitamix, if not 100% but close to it. It's got almost the same long warranty that the Vitamix's carry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Iron Tusk posted:

Has anyone used a Breville Boss Blender? I've got XMas gift cards and I'm thinking of getting a for real blender.

From everything I've watched and read it's supposed to hang right in there with Vitamix, if not 100% but close to it. It's got almost the same long warranty that the Vitamix's carry.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/high-end-blender-test-equipment-breville-vitamix-blendtec-review.html

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Fissler pressure cookers on woot today look like a pretty good deal, yeah?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Almost nothing on woot is cheaper than you'd normally see it on amazon or similar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
1/4 to 1/3 off, not bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hey Steve as an update: I suggest using granite mortar and pestle. The ceramic ones have been making a teeth hurting noise and I switched a few years back. I got the 3 cup one from Amazon that ships from Thailand.