Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Omega has a bunch of vertical masticating juicers. Anyone know how they compare to the horizontal dildo machines?

Edit: YouTuber seems to think it’s annoying as hell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2npqDAPajM&pp=ygUmb21lZ2EgdmVydGljYWwgc2xvdyBtYXN0aWNhdGluZyBqdWljZXI%3D

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got one of the baking steels from the original GWS buy (see SA-Mart thread and GWS group buy).

This steel should be 3/8" and just A36.

I've been using it more after several moves and not having a gas range and there's parts of it peeling. What do I need to do to strip and refinish this thing?

Is this normal stripping of my initial layer or something more serious? I'm sure I did whatever the GWS recommendation was when I got it.
Do I need to leave it in there on a self-cleaning cycle to clean this off?

It looks like I can refinish like this:

Steve Yun posted:

Take a paper towel and some vegetable oil. Rub a little oil all over the thing.

Take another paper towel and wipe off any excess oil.

Bake at 500°F for one hour.

Let it cool down completely before touching.

Optional: repeat maybe one or two times.

edit: this isn't stainless after thinking about it so edited to reflect that.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 22, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If it’s peeling, that probably means you coated it too thick when you did the initial seasoning. Make sure to wipe off as much as you can after coating it each time you put on a layer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do you think I should degrease/barkeepers/use a drill with brush to get it back to base?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Hed posted:

Do you think I should degrease/barkeepers/use a drill with brush to get it back to base?

you can but for some minor flaking around the edge I wouldn't bother. Just use a scouring pad and scrub off the areas that are actually peeling. anything that survives a quick pass with sup and a scotch pad will get stabilized when you do another layer.

starting from zero is for pans or steels that are really far gone with carbon buildup or actual rust

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
What is a good but not terribly expensive electric pepper mill? Preferably one with one handed operation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thermapen One review:

Eh

It says it takes one second to get a temp, but it’s more like 3-4 seconds. But I guess that’s better than previous Thermapens that claimed to take 3 seconds and actually took 6-7 seconds

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I broke my ice cream scoop. Are the Zeroll scoops worth it?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Are they worth the money for what you get? Sure, they are nearly indestructible. So if you own an ice cream shop, yes Zeroll are pretty much the only thing to get.

For home use, yes they will last forever, but do they make the kind of scoops you like? Some people prefer a disher-style scoop, or a spade.
The one nice thing about Zeroll is that they come in a ton of sizes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

I broke my ice cream scoop. Are the Zeroll scoops worth it?

Honestly, yeah. I hate handwashing, but it’s never going to break like any of the mechanical ones I’ve ever had. Tried two different OXO models before I broke down and got a zeroll, and I’ll probably never go back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What is the ideal zeroll size

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Get the polished kind, mine are a hard anodize, and after three years of constant use, the surface is starting to flake off.

EDIT:
I guess they call the anodize finish Zerolon? Maybe it's not an anodize process.

Anyway, mine are size brown.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 27, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Brown size seems big, I usually make quite small batches of ice cream. Might go mid size maybe

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Brown size seems big, I usually make quite small batches of ice cream. Might go mid size maybe

Yah, I would go with blue or green for home use.

Remember tho, the magic of the Zeroll is that the scoops LOOK bigger if you get the spiral just right.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

I have the green one, I think it makes Platonic Ideal size scoops.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have gold (2 oz.) and while it performs absolutely flawlessly and I'll never need another ice cream scoop, I honestly wish the scoops were just a tiiiiiiiiny bit larger. Go Green.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The Midniter posted:

I have gold (2 oz.) and while it performs absolutely flawlessly and I'll never need another ice cream scoop, I honestly wish the scoops were just a tiiiiiiiiny bit larger. Go Green.

Quoting as this is my opinion too. (Gold/1020-ZT here)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you think peeps can actually get 4 sigfigs of scooping accuracy?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I have the silver size zeroll and it seems like 1 scoop is a nice snack size. I usually scoop into short squatty 7oz glass 'cups' that are fairly bowl-like (bormioli rocco - bodega)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you think peeps can actually get 4 sigfigs of scooping accuracy?

Duh, of course not. Biggest variables are staff training (making that perfect Zeroll curl takes some practice), ice cream density (my ice cream is so rich that we get a five oz scoop out of the 4 oz scoop), and ice cream hardness/temp.

The last one isn't a problem at home (one flavor, you can take it out and let it sit as long as you need to), but balancing 32 flavors in 2 cases is a bitch, as the freezing point varies by flavor. It varies based on sugar content, fat content, and the inclusions. One case is set 2 degrees higher than the other, so we have warmer flavors and cooler flavors, and then you have warmer and cooler locations in the cases... in the end only about 2/3s are at the right temp, and about 1/3 are always a little too hard or too soft.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Duh, of course not. Biggest variables are staff training (making that perfect Zeroll curl takes some practice), ice cream density (my ice cream is so rich that we get a five oz scoop out of the 4 oz scoop), and ice cream hardness/temp.

The last one isn't a problem at home (one flavor, you can take it out and let it sit as long as you need to), but balancing 32 flavors in 2 cases is a bitch, as the freezing point varies by flavor. It varies based on sugar content, fat content, and the inclusions. One case is set 2 degrees higher than the other, so we have warmer flavors and cooler flavors, and then you have warmer and cooler locations in the cases... in the end only about 2/3s are at the right temp, and about 1/3 are always a little too hard or too soft.

This sounds like an anime about ice cream scooping

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just ordered one of these because the giant spade I have doesn't work for pints.

Excited to have this in my life. Worried my kids are gonna put it in the dishwasher.

mystes
May 31, 2006

For home use I don't really see why you would use a super heavy duty ice cream scoop rather than leaving the ice cream out to soften slightly or microwaving it for 5 seconds

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Because my life is empty and this scoop will finally give it meaning and purpose. Duh.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ive had the zeroll 12 (blue) for almost a decade now and I wish it was just a tiny bit smaller, so yea, I’d get the green, personally

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mystes posted:

For home use I don't really see why you would use a super heavy duty ice cream scoop rather than leaving the ice cream out to soften slightly or microwaving it for 5 seconds

The dude who started this mess said he wore out a regular one. Is there a better argument for owning commercial quality than that?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I also broke an icecream scoop before going to the zeroll. It was a cheap metal scoop with a plastic handle, but the metal only went about 1 inch into the plastic handle. Eventually it just busted scooping a particularly frozen icecream and it was unrepairable. If they just designed it so the metal went all the way through the plastic handle, I bet it could have lasted forever.

So instead buying another piece of crap, I got the one piece casted zeroll that will not fail in that way.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Full tang ice cream scoops :clint:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just ordered one of these because the giant spade I have doesn't work for pints.

Excited to have this in my life. Worried my kids are gonna put it in the dishwasher.

1. Pints are single serving. I dont make the rules.

2. At least you dont have an adult sibling tossing your cast iron in a dishwasher.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Tie a ribbon or put a big broccoli rubber band around the handle or something. It’s otherwise perfect, but it’ll be unfixably ruined if it goes through the dishwasher. My parents are on #3

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Only just now does it dawn on me that I should have had it engraved to say HAND WASH ME.

Man what a huge wiff on my part.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno wouldn’t that chip away at the oxidized layer that protects it from corrosion?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I presume if they offer it as a service upon selling it to you the answer is no but I assume a lot of wrong poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

The dude who started this mess said he wore out a regular one. Is there a better argument for owning commercial quality than that?

Yeah, it took a few years but my previous one broke. The Zeroll one is expensive but if I assume the Zeroll one will last 10 years and amortise the cost over that period then it, and all ice cream scoops, are actually cheap so you might as well buy the best one.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Gear for dehydrating herbs?
My herb garden is exploding, and I can't use it all. I have rosemary, sage, 2 types of basil, oregano, and mint. I want to dry them and store them in my spice rack. I'd also like to grow and dry some chile peppers (poblano-->ancho, jalapeno-->chipotle, etc.)

Can you recommend a small (toasted oven sized?) home dehydrator?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm not gonna stop you from buying a dehydrator, but herbs are super easy to dehydrate the traditional way - tie them in a bunch and hang it up. It even looks and smells nice. It's not like drying fruit where you gotta go fast or they'll go gross before they dry out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have an Andrew James one and it's fine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my random amazon brand ("COSORI") was like 40 bucks and did a good job on tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, etc last season

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'd rate Cosori a little higher than random Amazon brands, their stuff seems to be reasonably well regarded. I had a Cosori air fryer and I thought it was better thought-out in terms of design than most of the name brands it was up against at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Gear for dehydrating herbs?
My herb garden is exploding, and I can't use it all. I have rosemary, sage, 2 types of basil, oregano, and mint. I want to dry them and store them in my spice rack. I'd also like to grow and dry some chile peppers (poblano-->ancho, jalapeno-->chipotle, etc.)

Can you recommend a small (toasted oven sized?) home dehydrator?

Might not be what you want to do but I tend to just freeze herbs in a little oil or just make pesto rather than dehydrate excess herbs. Always found dehydrating to kill the flavor.