Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hello all! I was recently gifted a very nice cast iron skillet for our wedding. I have seen various handle slips/covers and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good one. The biggest divide seems to be silicon vs. clothe, and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I used it tonight with a oven holder I rubber banded around the handle and it seemed fine, but I would like something a bit easier to remove for when transferring to the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My mom surprised me and got me the Anova sous vide cooker on Prime Day so I have that to play with now too!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jay Carney posted:

Is there such a thing as a liquid nitrogen gun? I'm imagining cooling the surface of a sous vide steak enough to minimize over cooking when searing. I know negative griddles exist but im imagining a torch that sprays liquid nitrogen like doctor freeze.

Also i am likely crazy and this is one of my dumber ideas which is saying something.

Assuming you are searing at high heat, and also assuming you salt the meat before putting it in the sous vide, it would be incredibly difficult to to raise the temperature so much so that it overcooks. If you leave it on the skillet too long, yes it will over cook. Also, if this is something that does keep happening to you, then just lower the temp on the sous vide by a few degrees.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SubG posted:

Spraying liquid nitrogen around a room is a good way to painlessly commit suicide but a pretty bad way to cool down a steak.

As swickles says, you're unlikely to overcook a s-v steak by searing it if you're searing properly. No idea what the comment about salt is supposed to mean though.

If you're really worried about it just using an ice bath is going to be more than sufficient unless your tolerances are so tight you're titrating individual steak molecules or some poo poo.

Salting for a long time draws water out of the top layers of cells, so when it hits the hot pan most of the heat goes to evaporating that liquid (assuming you don't pat it dry) and then to searing the dehydrated flesh, creating a slight thermal barrier. The difference between those two is mostly a theoretical one I imagine and it would be difficult to definitively prove in any case.

Also, trying to cool a steak by ice bath, liquid nitrogen, etc. will like give you a steak cooked to a temperature, but is no longer at that temp. I guess if you wanted to make some rare roast beef and make it into cold cuts right away that would be a reason.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Why exactly do you need such high temperatures when cooking with a wok?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Someone please explain convection and toaster ovens to me, and why I would want one instead of my regular oven (which is incredibly inaccurate so gently caress it), and what it can/can't do, and finally a recommendation if you would be so kind

A convection oven has an air circulator in it, transferring most of the heat that way. A toaster oven does not and heats mostly by radiation. A convection over is nice if you also don't want a toaster. I like them for heating things up like egg rolls which obviously wouldn't fit in a toaster oven, and a full size regular oven seems like overkill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid stand mixer a year ago and now want some "manly" attachments for it. Was thinking of getting a beef grinder to make my own burger, but was also considering sausage making. Anyone have some suggestions? Looking for carnivorous suggestions mainly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The only reason I would argue against steel is if you do a lot ceviche or acid based cooking. So unless you plan on making a ton of acid based foods, then get some Costco steel.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just wait for the afilador to come around.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I was with my mom in Costco and we picked up an Instant Pot + SV model. She was amazed by the SV things I have done for my parents, and we both had heard great things about instant pot. I made a couple things with it while visiting this weekend to great raves and reviews, so now she wants me to send them recipes, which I am more than happy to do. Whenever my mom goes away to visit friends, family, business, etc she always likes to make it so my step dad has an easily reheated meal and so usually makes chili, a lot of soups, etc. I looked on the first three pages and didn't see an Instant Pot thread, so where is the best place to get recipes for literally anything Instant Pot on SA? Should I just check the pressure cooker thread? I know google is a treasure trove of this, but I like to hear recipes that have a modicum of second hand worth. Thanks!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thank you for the suggestions friends.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sportman posted:

Does it circulate the water or just hold it at a temp?

In the device I bought, there doesn't seem to be a water calculator, but I am not sure if they have engineered a way to maintain near constant temp through a variety of sensors and heating elements.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

It is toxic. So's copper. So are the chromium and nickel in stainless steel. So are the psoralens in celery, the the solanine in potatoes, the cyanogenic glycosides in barley, the hydrazines in mushrooms, and a great many other things you are unavoidably exposed to every single day.

Dose is relevant. Aluminum cookware will not harm you.

I was going to say, your aluminum exposure is significantly greater from antiperspirant than cookware, but then again you are a goon so chances of using one are pretty small.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nanigans posted:

I want to get my partner a small outdoor grill as a Christmas present (we're from Florida, it's always grilling season.)

My only criteria is that a) it be under $500, b) it can be used to make pizza with a pizza stone, c) it be a hybrid electric/gas.

She really likes the round, "egg" shaped grills, but if there's a more traditional one out there that's better, I'm sure she won't mind.

Are you only grilling, or are you also looking into smoking?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

A green egg is super pricey, but is great for grilling or smoking. For a third of the cost you can get a decent propane grill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Home Depot has 5 gallon buckets out the rear end. Had to go to one today and they built a god drat castle out of them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wear a mask anytime you are not eating and sit at a seperate table. Have only one person making and serving food. Doing that will go a lot further than a sneeze guard. Also, masks work great as sneeze guards, you might even think thats what they are designed for! Also, wear a mask.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I don't know how difficult or the set up is like on your model, but for me with an instant pot, unless I am making rice or something like, I just pop out the silicone seal, rinse it, give the inner lid a quick wipe and thats it. While process only takes like a minute to do.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have used the sous vide function before. It works fine, but isn't flexible, you are limited to the space in the pot and you can't clip things to the side well. If you are only cooking for yourself it works fine, but even if I do a big rear end steak it doesn't always fit in well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

weird question.

so the badass person that can put up with my poo poo and i are eloping in a few days.
cooking keeps us occupied in the middle of this shitstorm.
any suggestions need to be PTFE free (i have an african grey parrot) -- but we're running out of things on our registry. we just asked for a few new cookie sheets, a few new pans and i threw a Sodastream in there since i have an addiction to soda when i'm not shoulders deep in alcoholism. also have a cast iron griddle on the way. blender. things like that.

so here's the question: if you had numerous friends that are hitting you up for a registry (we didn't publish it on social media because we're in the middle of a ... like a third of my friends don't have a job) link and cooking is keeping you sane -- what would you ask for? i get that it's specific based on how you cook but if there were a single thing you could suggest, what would it be?

Baking bread seems to be the quarantine thing to do, so maybe a stand mixer? Sous vide? Instant pot? Outside of that, a really good set of knives if you don't have them is the only thing I can really say for sure you need (not that you need those other things but they are fun gadgets to have and are incredibly useful). Maybe more cast iron stuff as non-stick cookware? And, I try to plug this whenever I can, for the love of god buy a fire extinguisher, they are cheap and often overlooked, so add it to the registry if you must!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Raise your hand of your immediate reaction was "its still on?!?!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I love Thanksgiving so much that I am going to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving too from now on. Its my favorite holiday hands down. Eat a bunch of food, drink a ton, and go comatose while watching football. Now that I think about it, thats how I want to die...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Glockamole posted:

A word of warning about the pull through sharpeners, they tend not to sharpen so much as just raise a lot of burrs that make the knife seem sharper. If it's a cheap knife you don't care about, that probably won't bother you. If you have the time and some patience, you can try freehand sharpening. The investment in equipment can be as low as $20-30. A Norton fine India stone, for example, can be had for $21, and you could lubricate it with diluted Simple Green. Also, keep in mind that if you get a new knife, it will eventually get dull. So it's worth considering learning sharpening or finding someone who does that sort of thing.
Also, seconding the Victorinox Fibrox if you buy a new knife. America's Test Kitchen has been singing its praises you years as the best value for your money on the market. I bought a hand forged wa-gyuto a few years back that takes an edge that probably rivals my straight razors, and the Fibrox is still my go-to general use knife.

Does anyone else have afilador's or is that a specifically Miami thing. Its a truck that will go around, playing a jingle much in the same way an Ice Cream truck would and you flag them down and they sharpen any blades you have out the back of the truck. They usually had a set schedule and territory (or you could go to them) but you could always count on like the 2nd Sunday of every month the afilador comes through. No one outside of Miami seems to have heard of this, well at least in the US.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

We had an irregular such guy near us in the SF Bay Area, and there's one that pops by on an indeterminate schedule in our neighbourhood in Toronto. Do they do a good job with knives? I figured they were more for pruning shears and lawnmower blades, which they can happily grind away on.

They would do everything, they had all kinds of set ups and would manually do the good knives, usually a 2 man crew.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've got two Britas - one pitcher that stays in the fridge, and a larger tank one that stays on the counter for whenever I need room-temp water for things like making coffee or cooking rice in the rice cooker.

Same, but vice versa.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Murgos posted:

I'm going to hope there was some kind of spring loaded valve in the connector that opens when you've screwed it on enough to be safe.

Or they turned the gas on at the main/wall/wherever when they made the cut in the video.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is this a place I can ask about maintenance of kitchen equipment?

I inherited a fantastic copper sauce pot, it's vintage all-clad cop*r*chef. I have successfully polished decades of patina off the copper and it looks new, but I can't figure out how to get the grime off the bottom of the pan. I'm using barkeeper's friend and have let a paste soak for about ten minutes before scrubbing, to no effect.

My concern is primarily aesthetic, but I also want to ensure even heating for longevity.

Any suggestions would be welcome, including if there's a better place to post.

If its copper based, try using nitric acid. I used to work in a physics lab and we would clean the copper parts with 1 Molar Nitric Acid solution. Don't let it soak, just use it to rub off the layer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, thats why I specified the strength and the way to use it. Don't gently caress around and find out, you will regret it. Just soak a Qtip or paper towelwith it and gently rub, then immediately rinse with water. Repeat a few times and it will work without eating a hole in your pot/pan.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I just let the water cool down, then water my plants with it.

I use my sous vide water to rinse off my cast iron that I used for searing. Dunping the still hot water on the warm pan washes a lot of the gunk off and then only need a little more from the faucet to get it clean

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve been eyeing Costco Vitamixes forever. Maybe I’ll bite the Nutribullet instead, but the replacement parts/run forever quality of the Vitamix is so attractive. I’m currently running a Ninja blender/food processor and it sucks at both. Especially compared to the 70s Cuisinart DLC-8 I grew up with on the food processing side (still going strong). I know I’d make my own peanut butter, oat milk, and whatever the hell else.

I got a Nutribullet that had the blend cap break after like a year of use. They replaced the whole thing for free with a phone call and then emailing them my original receipt (from Amazon). I know its not a life long thing, but their warranty was easy to use.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Is this a good thread to ask about grills? I searched and couldn't find a better a place to ask. I am looking to buy a grill to do grilly things on. I haven't lived in a place that allowed propane or outdoor cooking in like 2 decades. Right now, I am looking at this grill here. I like it because it has a sear burner and comes with a built in smoking box. I would mainly use it for searing steaks and such after sous vide, burgers and/or chicken, and some light smoking (ribs, an hour or two smoke on something after a sous vide, etc). I do plan on getting a smoker next year, so that's not important, just nice to fill in until spring. I know cheap grills fall apart, don't start well, etc. I am just looking for something decent that I would use maybe once a week when weather is nice. I don't need to grill daily or for 30 people at a time. Any other recommendations, or at the very least an ominous warning about the one I linked?

swickles fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 1, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Why does my browser say this is an unsafe link

edit: your link tag is bungled and goes to url=i

Fixed it! Thanks!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its 15 bucks, and you like tacos. Go for it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

For a general audience I'd definitely err on the side of "no unitaskers" for lots of reasons, and I think his harping that direction has caused more good than harm. It was a vehicle to teach clever tool use and push back against junk products.

IMO the victim of this crusade who is still denying themself convenience is rarer than the beneficiary who is able to do more cooking with what's on hand, not to mention the people who otherwise would've received awful space fillers from relatives who happened to watch Alton Brown.

I have definitely dropped that "no single job for a tool" line in front of relatives who are well meaning but prone to give things like those meat shredders as gifts. Instead I get a lot of spice blends which are fun and more hits than misses.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thinking real hard about this

https://twitter.com/gannonbreslin/status/1714771589139505371?t=KtYVUijL52lB2jb16-2wUg&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My wife and I got a set of expensive German porcelain bowls for Christmas last year. They are big and we use them all the time for soups, stews, curry, stir fry, fried rice, etc. The wide base makes it great for meals with rice. I am not sure what makes them so expensive (they retail for like $100 for a set of 2, although they were probably on sale) but they wash so easily. Literally just water and they look pristine no matter what was on it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I have been told by owners of LG and Samsung fridges to never get LG or Samsung fridges. Reportedly their freezers are always malfunctioning

I will take a look later at this model in particular when at my computer, but I just went through replacing a bunch of appliances. I bought a Consumer Reports membership, and also researched the hell out of a new frdige. Turns out Samsungs are now on the better end in terms of predicted reliability. The biggest factor in a fridge/freezer lasting long is the presence of an external water/ice dispenser. Anything like that that opens up externally tanks the reliability. One that is inside is fine, but the ideal is a complete lack of one (although in my opinion its not enough to warrant not having an ice maker).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I would be worried about lead paint more than the plastic myself.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

The ones that have a mechanical timer are funny because the timer will run even if the air fryer is unplugged. Which can lead to real disappointment.

My wife does this like once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Microwaves have generally the same power, they run at 1000 watts per cubic foot. An 0.7 cubic foot unit will have 700 watts and heat food the same as a 1300 watt 1.3 cubic foot unit, it’s just that the small one will only heat up a dinner plate and the big one will do a serving dish

Im guessing they do this so that instructions on microwave foods will all work the same

Also, something like 80% of microwaves are all made in a single factory that are then encased in various brands shells.