Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Not a bad suggestion. I’ve had mine for 6 years or so. Once you get it dialed in it’s very good. Along with an AreoPress.

I had one that eventually fell apart from taking it down to piece-part level to clean, but they’re cheap and you can have one for spices and another for coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
What’s the go-to vitamix model these days? I have a Costco membership, do they still sell refurbished machines?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Once in a while Costco has new Vitamixes on sale that put them in slapping distance of a refurb’s price.

Get the cheapest old style one.

Clark Nova posted:

IMO get the cheapest model that has a speed dial instead of just on/off/high. I don't think costco sells refurbs but you can usually get them direct from vitamix. That's what I did.

What I’m hearing is I should just buy this one before the sale ends: https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Sh...ished%20vitamix

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Amazon had a deal of the day, I got $100 off this for $189 total earlier this year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX95VRT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're really price sensitive, might be worth monitoring and setting alerts.

I’m not super price-sensitive, but if I can reasonably expect to get something of a similar quality to what I posted for $200 on Black Friday, I would be pretty happy. That said, I’m not sure that’s going to be the case, and the one currently for sale is at a price I could stomach. I’ll probably go for it now if I can get buy-in from my girlfriend on it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

emotive posted:

Good to know. I've tried everything to get it to stop, but it turns me off from even using it.

That said, I just ordered that $250 Vitamix, so if anyone wants to buy a barely used Blendtec...

I also pulled the trigger on the $250 one. If anyone wants to buy a slightly used Ninja blender, my dm’s are open.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a kitchenaid km100ps mixer, what’s a good meat grinder attachment? Should I just get the kitchenaid brand one?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You’re massively overthinking this

Or, gitmo moneyson parachute spotted?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

How so?

I need a translation.

They’re just towels, find whatever is cheapest in whatever size bulk you need on amazon with an agreeable appearance to your SO.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

What’s the difference between the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY and the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNYAMZ? Because according to Cuisinart’s website there’s a difference.

I almost asked this before I bought one of them but I decided someone itt would ridicule me if I did (because apparently that’s a thing I have to deal with now), so I stayed quiet.

I’m sorry you felt discouraged from asking a question because I made an extremely obtuse reference to an, admittedly hilarious, series of posts in the smoking meat thread when you first got started. Unlike some goons you have actually learned things since then and I don’t find your posts anywhere near as weird anymore.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Seconding Costco, I have a set of Tramontina bowls from there that are great.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Keep your juices in the chops//
Keep your juices in the brats

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a Mk IV that I left on the back of the stove on the oven panel for a while... the display bulged from the heat but everything works fine. I highly recommend the silicone sleeve that glows in the dark (not so useful) and has magnets too, in my case, attach it to the exhaust fan above the stove (extremely useful).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sportman posted:

Oven thermometers are great, I found my oven was off by like 20 degrees. But forgetting the calibration, it let me realize that my oven takes WAY longer to preheat than expected. I would set it for 350, but it would only be around 275 when the buzzer went off.

I have this one, it's <$7. https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Class...8-1-spons&psc=1

I feel like this is extremely common, every oven I’ve ever used has beeped well before the thermometer indicates it’s at temp.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

I've got some "stainless steel" baking sheets that have still seemed to rust in the time I've used them. When I reheated an english muffin and some cornbread on them tonight, the surface of each that was touching the steel smelled weird, different from the rest of each, and there was some kind of film under the muffin. Is this bad quality metal? Should I get new ones?

Seems weird and gross. You could scotch-brite the nasty areas to remove any film or corrosion, but I would probably just replace with aluminum sheet pans instead. They will stain pretty extensively but I don’t really mind cooking on them despite that, especially since you can just line with parchment or foil if you want a clean surface.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah what gives. It’s already ridiculous that there’s been more than one cutting board Kickstarter and on top of that they’re all bamboo

I guess cause it’s cheaper than wood and hides scratches longer?

Also naturally waterproof and maybe can be very hard? I’ve seen it used as flooring material for those reasons.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SHVPS4DETH posted:

see also: marble, acrylic, glass

Please do not use any of these materials for a cutting board.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

the more expensive one can use mapp+ gas which rules for lighting charcoal

Plus Modernist Cuisine at Home suggests it’ll leave less or no aftertaste compared to butane and straight propane.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I didn’t even risk it. Asked for the benriner for Christmas along with the cut-resistant gloves.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have this kettle for making pourover. It’s only 1 liter, but that’s enough to fill my 8 cup Chemex. Looks like it’s currently on sale for $50 on amazon.

Note: I had a kettle from Bonavita before that broke a couple years in and they wouldn’t replace it out of warranty. I’ve had the current kettle for 2.5 years and it’s been reliable.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I have an all clad deep saute pan and it does what you're asking for. It was cheaper than their regular saute pan for some reason.

Anyone know if barkeepers friend will gently caress up the mirror polish on it?

I think it probably will gently caress it up.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

Barkeepers friend is how I get my mirror polish back.

drat I wouldn’t have guessed it was that fine an abrasive. Usually it takes at least 800 grit silicon carbide paper to get close to a mirror finish.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Kylaer posted:

Yes, I let them cool by air before cleaning them, but the Lodge pan in particular warped while heating up, I remember it distinctly because it was such a profound warp. Maybe if I turned the burner up bit by bit it would avoid it, but if I can buy a pan that is actually solid enough to not warp with the way I like to use it, then that's what I'll do.

There was something wrong with the pan, then. There is no good reason that a brand new cast iron should warp on heat up even if your burner is industrial-grade.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah I made Kenji's lemongrass marinated grilled tofu one time and the 2 teaspoons of white pepper that I ground fresh was just insanely overpowering.

I frequently have to remind myself that I have much higher quality spices and seasonings in general than most people so I’m really careful when a recipe calls for a lot of something strong. 2 tsp of fresh white ground pepper sounds like a kick in the teeth lol

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

I've been gifted an FM2000 vacuum sealer, and while I like the idea of being able to preserve things for a long time, I have no idea what this device can actually handle, and their site seems to assume you know what it can and can't do. Seems like it's an old model that can't handle "moist" foods, but isn't that... nearly everything? I'd like to get some use of this thing, but I don't know where to start. Kitchen equipment goons, what can I use an FM2000 for, particularly with regard to meal prep?

I have an even older model of foodsaver and you absolutely can vac seal things that are moist, you just have to be careful to start the sealing before it automatically switches, as it will pull moisture up into the sealing area if you don’t. It’s not a big deal at all.

As far as meal prep goes, now you can buy whatever you want in bulk and portion it out as you please for freezing, and things will keep much longer. For example I have a bag of shredded rotisserie chicken in the freezer now so I can make chicken salad with it at some point in the future, and I also have serving-size portions for 2 of pork chops, chicken breasts/thighs, chuck roast, and probably some other stuff I’m forgetting. I also re-seal dried peppers when I’m making homemade chili paste to keep them fresh. Really anything that you might buy vacuum sealed could be worth re-sealing.

You’re also now halfway to sous vide (although this is possible without vacuum sealing).

Lastly, making custom size bags from a roll feels less wasteful than buying bags for some reason.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

gently caress insurance, and doctor visits

Nice meltdown

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

IMO the "rolls royce" of pans are the D5 all-clad line. I own them. They are not worth the money difference for what you get. I mean sure, my grandkids can inherit these and they'll be functionally like new but do you really need to invest in your grandkids' kitchen? In hindsight I'd rather I had just invested that cash in a better oven or something. If you want really nice pans that aren't stupid expensive I'd suggest like Steve said, just regular all-clad but not all-clad brand or a nice carbon steel pan.

Can confirm the D5 line rocks, I somehow have managed to accumulate a 9” and 11” skillet set and a saucepan for like $200 total through sales at Williams & Sonoma and Sur la Table. It’s not frequent, but they do go on sale sometimes. Black Friday is also a good time to buy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's not the end of the world or anything. Still functions as a pot and everything. I assume this just means that Calphalon and All-Clad just use stainless with a higher chromium content, but manufacturers always list the minimum spec--18/10 or whatever--and not the actual composition, so there's no way to be absolutely sure.

There are a few other alloying elements that provide pitting corrosion resistance (like molybdenum) but 18% Cr should be enough to prevent pitting unless the surface finish was poor to begin with or damaged sometime later.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

oh rly posted:

San Jamar has oven mitts and cutting boards on clearance.

https://www.sanjamar.com/

$4 for 18x24 original cutting boards and $9 for 15x20 T-Grip.

I bought several to use as gifts.

I’ll save everyone a few minutes and suggest just going up to $25 right away for the free shipping. Paid shipping started at about $30 for me otherwise.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

yeah me too. I'm only getting 1 cutting board and no oven mitts :(

Same, only one cutting board, and it’s probably gonna be the ugly yellow and clear one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thoht posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the instant pot insert stovetop safe? Can't you just put it on a burner, sear/pop spices/whatever, and then put it back in?
Edit: no it is not. My bad.

I do it all the time on my (weak) gas range. The pot bottom is slightly domed which is annoying, but my stove already isn’t level so I’m used to having all my oil pool in one side or the other of my pots. Where did you find that it’s not stovetop safe?

E: mine does not have an interior or exterior coating

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah, Cambros average $2-12/unit at the local supply ranging from 1qt up to 22qt. Home use is mainly going to be 2 and 4qt units which were $3-4/each with lids $2-3/each and 2-4qt units have interchange lids.

Don’t make poo poo up like this just to get me to go into the store. Those are practically free compared to the bulk storage options available through, say, BB&B or even Costco.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My factory second all-clad saucepan arrived today. There are a few flecks of apparent corrosion damage where the lip was machined perhaps a bit too aggressively or brushed with the wrong brush. It’s completely cosmetic, if it gets worse I’ll just scorchbrite it away then wash and dry thoroughly. No complaint on getting what I paid for, that’s for sure.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you’re still cooking your pasta in a gallon of water, you don’t have to. Enough water to cover in a pot or pan of basically any shape will cook pasta just fine. You can use a short pot for most long pastas just fine, you just need to submerge the tops of the noodles as the bottoms become more flexible in the boiling water.

You can also start your pasta in cold water and bring to a boil, apparently, relying on taste-test for doneness. I haven’t been bold enough to try this, though.

E: seconding Chemmy, though, don’t buy an expensive stock pot. If you do decide you need a stock pot, buy the cheapest one you can convince yourself feels a little heavy and substantial to you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

Yeah, we're thinking of the same Cruisinart one. That's why I'm looking for other options, I irrationally chafe at the preset temps only.

EDIT: The Bonavita you referenced seems to have a large portion of complaints about build quality and DOA.

I have one of these and while the complaints about build quality are probably valid (I’ve had one die on me in the 4 years I’ve owned this particular model), it’s also probably the cheapest option with an actual thermostat and a gooseneck. I wouldn’t think twice about buying something with DOA complaints from amazon, infant mortality isn’t always a sign that the units in general are shoddily built or prone to failure. Especially considering a lot of this stuff is cheap electronics, presumably lots of different sub-tier suppliers make parts for the thing and so there’s a bit of a lottery there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Food dehydrator recommendations? We’re going to have a lot of produce from the garden this year and would like to be able to preserve some stuff dried. I’m in a big city so I have access to any major big box store, but I would prefer to buy used if there are any particularly common decent models.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: making fire rocks

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Thanks all, I remembered that camelcamelcamel was a thing and checked the price history - looks like prices are historically high right now (probably because global shipping is hosed).

Maybe I’ll buy a cheapo 10” and see how that goes. I was trying to replace a 12” nonstick we have but 10 seems like a useful size too.

Lodge has the minimum amount of respect for its workers possible and closed its foundry for COVID a while ago. I’m not sure if they’re back up and running yet, but that’s about the most fundamental supply disruption that can exist.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

I thought Lodge talked a big game about treating their workers pretty well? I found one article that said they were planning to pay workers through the shutdown, at least.

I was trying to praise them lol

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
FYI the jiggler and pressure release valves on the instant pot lid can be disassembled and removed for cleaning. I didn’t know this for the first couple years I had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't find a kitchen appliances thread, so I figured I'd ask here: I'm moving into a new house soon and am probably going to replace stove, fridge, and microwave. I would like to get all the same brand but unfortunately the best stove appears to be Samsung; fridge, LG; and microwave, GE. Does it matter that much if they match brands if I'm going to have black stainless for all of them? The dishwasher appears pretty new so probably doesn't need replacing. I would also take recommendations on full-sized slide in stoves, 36 inch wide French door fridges, and 400 CFM ventilating over-the-range microwaves, budget of around $3500-$4000 for all three. Probably willing to wait until Black Friday to buy if sales are that good, and I might get an extra discount for buying a TV of the same brand as one of the appliances, too.