Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Escali primo works fine for me, I have a separate no name drug scale for 0.1g precision, only really need that for precise dosing of citric and malic acids.

Wife doesn't like the primo since it's wobbly so I'll likely get the maestro when it dies, thanks for the rec!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Just moved and now I have a Whirlpool electric oven, in-wall instead of under stove. God drat it holds onto steam, I think I need to crack the door often to make things actually finish roasting.

Is this typical to electric ovens, in-wall ovens, or just this model?

Update: this thing is throwing me off big time. Pizza crust and cookies get no color so it's hard to judge doneness, and the top heating element is so intense it's basically intermittent broil when using bake settings.

I never thought I was a person who might replace a working appliance, but drat unless I calibrate myself quick I might have to. I know "oven holds onto steam" is sometimes desirable but this is ridiculous

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A Pacojet is a simpler problem than a general blender, though. Since the base is frozen in place, the blades can build up speed before being slowly fed down through at a slow feed rate. With a blender you always have the full weight and resistance of the ingredients on top, jostling and impulsing on the blades.

https://youtu.be/VB1aedqeuKw

https://youtu.be/lpzD97nJqW8 7 minutes 30 seconds in, can't timestamp on mobile

It won't be as good as a Pacojet but it certainly could handle solid frozen better than a normal blender, in theory. Not sure how well they executed. Now if you just had that style blade on a stick blender it'd be even cheaper though wouldn't be as programmable and thus not as popular with the air fryer crowd.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 6, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you meet these criteria, they're fine:

1. Don't already have a convection setting on your oven
2. Can spare the counter / storage space
3. Not willing to spend a bit more $ and space for a smart / steam oven
4. Put a high premium on dishwashing all the things

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ball jar, 1/2 cup water, crack in egg, nuke 45 seconds then let it sit 1 minute for poached or 3 minutes to get more jammy. Strain if you have a dishwasher safe strainer, if you don't then add cold water up to the top then it's hand safe temperature.

Cooking inside water is the safest microwave technique to avoid rubber overcooked sadness.

If you're careful with the water amount it's very consistent! Tweak the 45 seconds to your particular microwave.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And if everything is sticking to your stainless pans, you're either burning your food (turn the heat down) or not using enough fat when you cook (use more fat, fatty).

This is correct, also preheat the oil before you drop your food in the pan. Also protein can stick early but release once it's finished searing, so sometimes more time is all it needs

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If there was only minor mess I just use a rag. For more messy mess I usually use a plastic cutting board and use the big guy as a staging / mise area. If I really want the cutting room of the big guy for messy stuff I just wrestle it to the sink and use the spray wand and tilt it so it drains in

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

therobit posted:

I’ll put it in the category with jar opening devices other than a rubber band as something that I should buy before I need it.

Next time you're in the market for pot holders, I recommend one with a cloth layer and a silicone layer. Works great for grip on lid jars and hot things alike!

I don't like the only-silicone ones, the cloth inside slips on and off my hand nicely.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

King of pepper grinders is the Magnum Unicorn unless you have an unusually strong ground pepper fetish in which case there's a kickstarter one that triples I believe

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He had the solution wrong (use two pods) but he had the diagnosis right - there is a problem for many folks who use just one pod, on a cycle which uses pre-rinse. His new recommendations are legit and I'm switching to powder as soon as my pods run out :shrug:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hypnophant posted:

I have never filled the pre-wash thingy in my landlord special dishwasher (or any other dishwasher i've ever used) and I have never had problems unless my dishwasher is extremely crowded, in which case pre-wash doesn't help. I use pods because they have enzymes and the only time there are any food particles left after the wash is if i overload the chamber or have stuff pointed upwards or something similarly dumb.

I rewatched the first video and he tests the pre-wash with and without detergent, but he doesn't test (or doesn't show) the results after the full cycle, which is all anyone should care about. Detergent in the pre-wash is unnecessary in all but the most heavily soiled washes. Also he doesn't understand that sodium silicate is an abrasive.

Powder has enzymes too. He acknowledged the issue with his earlier test.

Vegetable posted:

Can someone tl;dr his new recommendations. I tried watching the video but couldn't bring myself to sit through 48 minutes of dishwasher detergent talk

• Pods contain more detergent dose than most people need
  • The harder your water, the more detergent you need.
  • The more full & soiled your dishwasher is, the more detergent you need.
  • So if you have hard water, or only run it very full, pods may work well for you
  • Pods are inflexible so you can't adjust your dose for smaller loads
  • Dosing too high leaves residue on your dishes and can damage aluminum pans (can happen with pods if you have soft water, or with powder if you overdose)
  • If you use eco-modes, you don't need to fill the pre-rinse reservoir
  • The 4 chemicals which are in pods but not powder aren't game changers
  • Gels can't have both bleach and enzymes, so are a little worse generalists than either pods or powders
  • Pods cost 3x more at the low end and up to 5x more per load, and have lots of plastic waste associated

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He admitted gels are better than powders if your dishes block the detergent gate from opening, or if the gasket on the detergent gate doesn't seal so the water leaks in & cakes up your powder.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In conclusion, dishwashers are a land of contrasts

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you run air conditioning, and you cook every other day or so, you don't need a lid to avoid clumping FYI. 7 years in Tallahassee which has an average morning humidity of 90%, and no issue :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Whipped cream works wonderfully unless you're making a huge batch

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'll take this opportunity to plug my microwave method for poached eggs:

3/4 cup water, ~1/2 Tbsp vinegar, crack 1 egg all in a Mason jar

Swirl jar so the egg is suspended by the moving water. Microwave 30 seconds. Swirl again. 30 seconds. Strain and enjoy!

Tweak the second time to your preference and microwave power and you'll be a happy goon. I tried the other day with two eggs and it took 115 seconds all said, swirling every 30, and it was still eggscellent.

My strainer is stainless so everything goes in the dishwasher and I'm never more than 2 minutes from a drat good egg, including clean up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I bought that one and returned it. The whine is there for 2/3 of my pans, and not just the cheap clad ones.

I then bought the infomercial-like Nuwave and I like it much better!

Be warned, these kinds are not a full range replacement because you're running it on a weak circuit. You can sear and sauté but please don't expect to boil 6 quarts of water for pasta in less than 30 minutes, or get 4 quarts of oil hot enough to deep fry.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shallow frying yes. I tried my usual schtick of a gallon of oil and it doesn't get to 350°F with either the Duxtop linked or the Nuwave after 30 minutes of preheating. I tried an all clad and an enameled cast iron for both.

It can probably handle smaller batches just fine but these days I go with the much quicker big gas burner and the cleanup time is less than the heat / recovery / additional batch time of frying outside.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bamhand posted:

I've definitely found MAPP Pro to leave an unwanted flavor.

Even a clean-burning gas can leave off flavors if not combusted completely. Better make your own searzall with a catalytic converter just to be safe :science:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are combo microwave toaster ovens. I have no idea if they work well at either.

They do demonstrate the principle that microwaves don't actually arc off any metal, only sharp edges or points.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got the Ooni Karu 16. Gas only, bigger size. Works amazing for pizza and broiled veggies (corn in particular), I want to try burgers on a cast iron in there soon as I don't have a standalone grill.

Just remember sticker price doesn't include gas canister, two peels (wood for launching and metal for turning / retrieving), a loooong set of tongs if you plan to do non-pizza, a heavy duty BBQ glove, and a table if you need one. IR thermometer optional, I used it early on but now just go by the dial.

For the metal peel a local restaurant supply store had the best price by far, other items seemed to be better online for me in California.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes, if your detergent is harsh enough. I had an old beat up pan I wanted to try dishwashing after use to see if it could handle it.

It ended up gross, like bare flaky matte gray metal that would come off into your food if you didn't use aluminum foil.

I then did an experiment "can you season an aluminum pan with flax oil, like it's a cast iron pan?" The answer is "Yes, but if you have a pregnant wife she will despise you for the smell." The smell only lasted during 3 rounds of seasoning plus a couple uses afterwards, but it's a consideration to keep in mind.

So far the flax seasoning has gone through one dishwasher cycle, I'll report back after a dozen more.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Get a coffee scale like this - it auto tares when you turn it on instead of yelling "OL" at you. It also takes much longer to auto shut off. I am so happy I upgraded my cheap drug scale to a cheap coffee scale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089JYMRK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A6JSMSQFGV2ANCK5AFN8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

who tf cleans a food processor by hand

i mean the blades i understand if you really want to keep them super sharp but just throw the rest in the dishwasher

Food processor grater blade is great imo. If I'm doing more than 1 cup / 4 oz then I'm using that, even though I hand wash it. Hand washing is the difference between 10 and 13 years of durability before the plastic fails so totes worth it :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Who has good plastic cutting boards with a groove / moat to catch juice and which don't warp in the dishwasher?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My partner accidentally ordered the giant 15"x21" OXO board but I just wound up using it all the time and I love it.

It doesn't fit in my dishwasher so I hand wash it but I have four of the smaller ones as well and they do just fine without warping in the washer.

Thanks everyone! You especially, I had the 15 x 21 in my cart because I am not good at checking such things beforehand. By the way, Amazon is way more expensive than the Oxo site. Oxo had free shipping but only if you add one more item to your cart, so I ended up paying less than Amazon and getting a "free" wooden spatula since our current one is getting worn down after ~9 years :toot:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I didn't end up with the huge one, I got 15" x 11" which is smaller than the half sheet pan I regularly wash with no issues 👍

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mason jar attachment for applicable sized things?

For water bath cooking I use the reusable silicon bags. If I can't get all the air out it still usually cooks fine, sometimes I throw silverware in there to weigh it down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

To build an intuition for physics it's good to A) look for analogues and B) consider the extreme case.

For A, it's like the tines holding a rotisserie or a kebab skewer. The former is low and slow and the latter is much quicker, and in both cases it doesn't hurt the end result.

For B) consider instead a hot railroad spike in a small steak. There would be heat conducting in through the spike for sure. Even in that extreme case though the meat would heat faster from the outside than from the railroad tie since the only heat that can conduct through the tie is the heat it collects through its external surface area, which is much smaller than the surface area of the meat itself.

E: I'm only addressing the "overcooks the inside of the meat" question, not the "accurately measures highest internal meat temp" question.

I definitely agree with those who say use the probe for "getting close" and also instant for the last 10 degrees.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 1, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just bought table a salt pig for Christmas, love it and it's worth weirding out guests imo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pseudanonymous posted:

As long as it's cast from a mold and not just some artist's interpretation.

Art can surpass the beauty of reality

I have a mug and a shot glass from the original run. Good stuff. I'm certain Empty Sandwich would make one a better shape for a salt pig if someone asked nicely enough. I'd be down for one!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I bought an Ozeri a year ago on goon recommendation and it seems to be a great value for price and it can slot away a lot easier. Good budget option, no idea its levity but the posts that led me to it said years and years.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Finish dishwasher tabs work well and don't scuff them in my experience

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

This is 2022.

Big if true

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a thread recommendation for a small induction burner?

I bought the cheap Duxtop 8100MC that everyone seems to buy, but it makes a high pitched noise that I can't hear but drives my girlfriend absolutely batshit insane. I tried a few different pots, some do it at every setting and some only do it at the higher settings. :smith:

I bought that one, had same experience, returned it, got nuwave gold, love it

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If the gears are still hosed up, you can fairly easily repair them too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:smith: maybe with a different pan? I've heard some clad pans or those with a certain resonant frequency can be worse...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vim Fuego posted:

Do not eat an entire roast head of elephant garlic spread on bread. It's delicious but the gas is deadly and lasts for days. My wife and I discovered this early on when we were dating and it's still legendary between us

Very specifically :same: but with 100 garlic soup. To this day I can cheer her up with 3 simple emoji

🧄🍑💥

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

IIRC they're basically just normal nonstick pans with a weird pattern on them as a gimmick (and to make it harder to see that they're getting scratched up). I guess they claim that the pattern protects the teflon part but that doesn't make sense to me. Teflon is just so weak it's going to come off no matter what you do. Buy stainless and use it forever or buy a teflon pan and be prepared to replace it periodically.

I assume they're paying Gordon Ramsay a ton of money for the endorsement.

I like my dishwasher safe ceramic. It's an As Seen on TV gimmick looking thing but I bought it on a whim because why not. It isn't as nonstick as Teflon but it's much better than stainless and on par with my carbon steel, but the right size for me eggs and dishwasher safe became much more important as my life got busier. The only issue I have is the handle is stamped / hollow metal which heats up a lot if you're doing anything longer cooking than eggs.

Blue Diamond is what I got, I'd avoid anything with texture like those granite themed ones.

um excuse me posted:

Can I hijack this thread for a bit? <snip>

Imagine going over to a friend's house where they made an awesome home made pizza just to maul it to death with shears

These are legit good, though normal kitchen shears get you 95% of the way there without taking up as much space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vegetable posted:

What’s wrong with using a regular chef’s knife