Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MIL bought us a replacement crock pot to protect her grandkids from this 😱 plastic lid 😱 that we got from my wife's grandpa.

On one hand, plastic manufacture and disposal is definitely a scourge on the earth, some specific leechates are poison, etc. On the other hand, making new appliances is way worse for the world than using the same one for decades upon decades.

What do you think - I'll give away this crock pot in our fb local Buy Nothing unless the thread thinks I'm passing along poison.

Wife thinks early plastics were the wild west of anything goes. I think modern plastics are much more complex and thus have myriad compositions and manufacturing residues that skirt by on GRAS / "well nobody has proven any cancer yet".

It is 100% a moot point when my kid will encounter delitainers, toothbrush bristles, snack wrappers, and (when we can't help it) plastic water bottles and utensils hundreds of times more often than this crock pot. Just a topic of pedantry, my favorite pasttime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:wrong: the Ninja Foodi drawers have removable air circulation trays, the drawers and trays go in the dishwasher no problem. That's the only reason I bought it, it's so nice

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

You can buy parchment paper air fryer liners. After that it’s basically just a hot wet paper towel. I still don’t like my air fryer because it doesn’t get hot enough to maillard or crisp, but at least it is easy to clean

The Ninja dual drawer one drawers are 1/8 the size of a "full" sheet pan. That means pre-cut Parchment sheets for half sheet pans, torn in 4, fit beautifully :science:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not as good, but still better than most cookers. I usually only use it for reheating something messy like nachos (lunch today) or cinnamon sugar donuts (breakfast today) and don't feel like cleaning. I run the dishwasher twice a day, so 9/10 of the time I don't use Parchment.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FWIW I just got The Wok (book) and Kenji says flat bottom on induction can work just fine, once you figure out your batch size:

quote:

They can. I think there’s this false impression, particularly in the West and in the U.S. that in order to cook with a wok, you need these jet flame, high-powered restaurant-style burners that could do like 150,000 BTUs per hour. People think that and they think you can’t cook properly in a wok without those. But of course, there’s hundreds of millions of people cooking in a wok every day that don’t have restaurant ranges at home. Initially, when I was growing up, my impression of what was cooking with a wok was mainly colored by the fact that I ate Chinese food pretty much exclusively at restaurants. And it was mainly restaurants that come from the sort of southern Chinese or Cantonese or Hong Kong style cuisines that first penetrated into the U.S. A lot of a Chinese American food and a lot of the dishes we’re familiar with in the U.S. come from that style of cuisine. And that’s really the only part of China where you’re going to find this concept of wok-hei, the sort of smoky flavor that you get from using gas and letting the flame actually leap into the wok.

So really, when you’re not cooking with gas, the only thing that you’re sort of cutting out of your repertoire are those very specific dishes from southern China that require this sort of wok flavor. But the vast majority of dishes that you cook and wok don’t require that heat, so you can do any, you know, most of the dishes you can do just fine on electric or induction.

He goes on to say you can attain wok hei with a handheld gas torch, a technique also useful for gas burner cooking to amp it up.

Also, my wife loves the tiny tip from this book to add soy sauce around the outside of the pan, letting it caramelize slightly before stirring it in. She said that alone was worth the book :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The knife my 3yo uses has one of those built into the sheath! Great device for accessibility / the young / the clumsy :3:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Probably oil / fat floating on top of your leftovers hitting a much higher temperature than 212F if I had to guess

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm a Flair devotee, so I only have secondhand info on pumped machines with steam wands.

The coffee thread has a hopelessly old OP, but it's very active so just post and I'm sure you'll get help soon!

Do you already have a grinder and kettle? What about a scale? Here's my small, end-game setup. It's way above your price range as-is, but if you already have a kettle and are willing to try a hand frother or French press method, then the cheapest Flair is $99 new or you can find one similar to mine for $200-250 on ebay. With this, you can easily upgrade components as you like. I started with the cheapest Flair and a hand frother, and fell down the :homebrew: rabbit hole once I saw I did enjoy it. As I upgraded, I went for ebay + sell my old kit, so it wasn't too bad at all, especially since now this is pulling shots on par with a $2,000 machine

Some "not steam wand" frothers:

https://youtu.be/q1mMPs4jH6s?si=biOC-9KjQyQSBzoR

https://youtu.be/WeNoDCWezls?si=zrPGCmMNPT9LUmsz

Going back to your original criteria, and going back to traditional pumped machines, the coffee thread again is your best bet. I think a used Gaggia fits the bill, but again that's just secondhand info.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pretty sure that's to keep the hot bit away from the room temperature bit

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vegetable posted:

I don’t trust regular brushes to get clean. There’s no way you’re really gonna be able to get all the gunk out from between those bristles. At least the silicone ones are totally bendy so you can really get into them.

Literally just use the Bob Ross method against the bottom of your sink / the drain hole. Use soap, smoosh, beat, rinse, repeat 2 more times and you're good to go! When I first started this, I was skeptical so I would suck the wet bristles to see if I could get a taste of leftover butter or soap or w/e. I trust it with my life now.

https://youtu.be/KM971KEFVco?si=ZllksXz-AnHll8Ha

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seconding "sharpen, don't replace". Besides saving a ton of waste & unnecessary shipping, you know you like the handle & blade / tip shape.

Since you're disciplined enough to build a honing habit, you are probably the type that would learn flat stone sharpening no problem.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use the Cuisinart for $73 daily and no issues. https://a.co/d/c0JT0u3

I I bought a $20 no-name (currently unavailable) for medical uses and it did fine until I got a different hand-me-down gooseneck. I'd just try another cheap one if you don't care too much https://a.co/d/ckhtBzm

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I would not get gooseneck unless you are making pourover coffee. I prefer fast flow since I often boil the full 1.7L to get my pasta water boiling 3x faster than my gas stove.

I also make espresso 1-2x per day and I still prefer the Cuisinart even though the opening on my Flair is kind of small, because the Cuisinart boils faster than my Fellow Stagg.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Meat gets a dedicated plastic board that goes straight into the dishwasher every time

Collect them microbes, sucka

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Mom realized she never used this thing anymore so she dumped it on me.

Is it good or would I be better off kneading by hand and baking in the oven

I don't know how Zoji's is, but it's the difference between a homemade cookie and cookie dough from a tub. Quality ceiling is huge on full DIY but machine is super helpful if you don't have the time.

Different end results, but a machine can still beat the pants off 90% of grocery store bread. My mom is in love with hers. Word to the wise - the most important step is waiting for it to cool before you cut a slice, no matter how tempting it is.

High school me thought the machine was junk because I wouldn't wait and it turned into a gummy mess.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 31, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This one is pretty good for us, since it has a probe with temperature alarms. https://www.thermoworks.com/chefalarm/

If I could have one other feature, it'd be an easier way to reset / re-use the last timer. For this one, I think you need to reset, then press and hold start again for 3 seconds. My previous cheapo one automatically queued up the same timer after you dismissed the alarm.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's why I studied the blade

*you barely detect my katana shift from its sheath. For a moment, nothing about the onion changes. Then, three of my fingers and my ear fall completely off*

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anchor Hocking red plastic lids suck. We are down to 0 that haven't cracked beyond use. I am torn between buying replacement lids for $10 or replacing them altogether - I hate wasting the glass bowl portion but also hate giving these assholes replacement parts revenue.

We have Pyrex glass with blue lids that seem like identical designs but the lids last twice as long. Still annoying to replace but not as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mostly enjoy this because it's a multi-tasker. It does about as well as the type at hotel breakfast stations / my college dining hall, so I suppose it's good enough!