Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Found it, it's the Cuisinart Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor (DLC-10SY)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you can, try a test of rested vs. unrested batter. Kenji says you don't gotta, and tbh I'd probably never do crepes if I felt like I had to. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-make-crepes-savory-pancakes-food-lab.html

(also it was prob on purpose but it's voilà)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Try making a little foam cube to surround it and muffle the noise? Even the food service blenders that are $$$$ aren't that quiet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Honestly if that's your big goal, you could just get a smaller $15 one. I use mine for brown rice, quinoa, and rice pilaf, and it's great. It also takes up minimal space and, obviously, costs $15 rather than $125. I've had it for about 10 years now. Zojirushis make sense in some situations, but not if your only goal is not wanting to use a pot or take up a burner.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I set up an alert on slickdeals to score my Le Creuset (and my All-Clad, Wusthof, etc.) on the cheap. My latest "this is incredibly stupid at full price but ayyy that's a good sale" were those Staub pumpkins. Can report they're cute as hell.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That ended in 2015 https://www.denverpost.com/2015/09/30/whole-foods-will-no-longer-sell-fish-produced-by-colorado-prisoners/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Doesn't IR only detect the heat of surfaces? So it might be cool to see how hot your baking steel gets, but it's not gonna do poo poo to tell you if your chicken's done roasting. The home applications for IR are more like "might be cool" than genuinely useful, and you can get an IR gun on Amazon for like $15-20, which imo is about appropriate for "might be cool"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have one and sometimes I play around with it, but I can't think of applications that are really useful. What do you use it for? The only thing I can think of is checking the temp of churning ice cream to see if it's ready to move to the freezer. To sear meat in a pan, you can see by how the oil looks/moves more easily, imo.

v IR, I use pokeys a lot

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 27, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Someone mentioning your name once is not the same as ridicule, nor did you have to deal with it

If you've looked at the details and all the specs are the same, I suspect the one with the -AMZ suffix is just packaged particularly for Amazon or something. For a difference of four cents ($0.04), I would just get the more popular one

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He wasn't even the person asking about towels!!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the av is similar to gitmo's, so this is gitmo most likely
no, this is the "ridicule" he was referring to

someone said to towel guy:

Lawnie posted:

You’re massively overthinking this

Or, gitmo moneyson parachute spotted?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yeah and him, being gitmo, was ridiculed. I need to be an internet PI

/E I do have avs off for work so I would have never made the connection unless I wanted to see the pepe rendition
Oh yes true. I thought you thought the towel guy with the weird green face gif avatar was gitmo given the weird green face gif avatar

Steve Yun posted:

Hey ummm isn’t this usually $250
Who do I know with a costco membership...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Their colors thing is recent, they're trying to catch the KitchenAid magic.

The Marcato Atlas machine is the gold standard anyway. If you're gonna be making it yourself, and therefore have a maximum of two hands, consider getting the bundle with the motor so you don't have to use a hand for cranking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you just want plain metal and dgaf, go to a restaurant supply store

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I upgraded my mixing bowls lately and it was super worth it. They have silicone bottoms, etched measurements inside, and snap-on tops. And of course they nest perfectly. It looks Pinteresty but I regret nothing

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Gonna link them or what?
I got these, but if you click around there are a bunch of options with those features. The only other feature I can think of that I'd want is the little spout.

It all depends on the way you use them. Someone wants a dozen cheap plain bowls to basically use as disposable, and that's what works for them; I personally only need a few, I take care of stuff and keep it forever, and I love the silicone on the bottom. I wouldn't recommend mine to people who dgaf

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can do meringues or whipped cream fine with a handheld mixer, but since I have a stand mixer, I'm glad to use it for those. You do want the wiper blade. I think the real "gently caress this, I'm not doing it without a stand mixer" is bread, but now no-knead bread is such a thing, sooo

A stand mixer isn't required, it's just a nice-to-have. Lurk Craigslist for awhile and pick up a used one for like $100. Even if you hate the color, you can repaint it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

TheCog posted:

This has been my experience, I have a super nice dutch oven... that is just a size too small, I can't justify getting a bigger one, and its just painful trying to make big dishes.
If you have a round one, get an oval, and if you have an oval, get a round. bing bong justified

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have the Kuhn Rikon one if you like smooth edges and/or are an old. It also has a cute little pincher so you don't have to touch the can lid, as if anyone was concerned about that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Parchment paper is also a thing. Get the precut sheets, they're so much handier

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

Are all cheap pasta rollers functionally equivalent? I make raviolis a couple times in the winter, that's it. I have a hard time imagining that I'll make fresh pasta so much more frequently if I have a roller.
tbh a roller does make it way more convenient than hand-rolling. I set up a price alert for the Atlas Mercato, which is like ~the~ pasta roller, and I have no regrets. You could also look for one at thrift stores.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Whalley posted:

If the Instant Pot is really worth it, like, there's genuinely no reason to bother with a stovetop pressure cooker once you have one
This is correct except for canning afaik. I prefer the instant pot because you can't really gently caress it up and because you can leave the house when it's cooking. Also bear in mind that with the instant pot's popularity, most current pressure cooker recipes are written for it, and they don't always translate smoothly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Whalley posted:

seems like a weird thing to pick up a pressure cooker for; like, if I'm gunna cook and leave the house I'm just gunna use a dutch oven or a slow cooker or an immersion circulator, not the thing I'm getting largely to make slow preparation faster.
For pork shoulders, it cuts like 8 hours down to like 90 minutes, which is a great time savings, but 90 minutes is still long enough you might occasionally want to step out

also, the sautéing is totally good. You can burn the poo poo out of something if you aren't careful. And the inner pot is just a metal pot, so you can use it on the stove if you want.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm also single, my instant pot is regular size, and if anything it's too small. Imo the real pro move for solo cooking is to make a bunch of leftovers to have during the week. This past weekend I made a bunch of beets in my instant pot, and I'm having them on and off for dinners this week.

For meat specifically, a lot of cuts that benefit most from an instant pot are too big to fit in a small one, like pork shoulders or briskets.

I agree, wait for Christmastime sales for a much better price. Check out the pressure cooking thread in the meantime https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704340

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 23, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have a $10 rice cooker that's basically flawless. I never have to think about cooking rice again, it never takes up a burner on my stove when I'm already doing 3 other things, and it's small enough it takes up minimal storage/counter space. It does brown rice, basmati, quinoa, farro, barley, lentils, pilafs. I've had it for almost 10 years. Also, it was $10. Absolutely no regrets.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Make sure your cheap knife is full-tang, i.e. the metal goes all the way down the handle. I like a cheap knife too, but all the ones I've had without a full tang snapped fast

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My mom's Pyrex set are still legible, but fading a little. After ~40 years

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you have $99 to waste, go for it. It's a good sale and you could use it for side dishes. Everyone is right it just won't replace a bigger one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Earlier in the video he says the cheese is Boar's Head, not actual pecorino, because that's all he could get. Boar's Head is crappy domestic cheese that iirc isn't aged? It's soft as gently caress. You could grate it that fast with a table knife, practically. If you get an actual hard cheese, it's going to take a minute regardless.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm sure he still ate it and enjoyed it, I'm just saying a medium-soft thing grates faster than a hard thing

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There is a point where cheese is too soft to grate easily and smears. Above that there is a point where cheese is not very hard and grates easily because it doesn't offer much resistance. Above that is a point where cheese is hard and you need to put more effort into grating it. Think about softwood vs. hardwood.

I realize it won't be for awhile, but next time you go to a grocery store, try to put a thumbprint in vacuum-sealed boar's head and then in DOP pecorino.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I have no idea why you've posted 6 times freaking out at me.

I can tell you Parmesan that I bought the day before grates a lot faster than parm that's been in my fridge for a month. Because it gets harder, and that makes it more difficult to grate.

Yes, even using a microplane, like we've been talking about this whole time. I don't even own any graters besides microplanes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know why you've been so eager to poo poo on me, but can you please just loving try it before you continue multiposting WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I can't even tell you how many dozens of times I've experienced the difference.

Hard cheeses are on a spectrum from relatively soft to very hard. Even within one type, the exact hardness can vary. Not all of those hardnesses grate with identical ease and speed. That's literally all I'm saying. I'd never have guessed it'd be controversial.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Salty cheese is also a pretty fun experience

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The Swissmar is the one ATK recommends. Whatever you buy, just go ahead and get cutproof gloves with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

El Jebus posted:

I assume these are the same thing as the "cut resistant" grey gloves sold with a lot of the various models on Amazon? Or are you suggesting the chainmail gloves style?
Yeah, they're not literally cutproof, just cut-resistant. ATK recommends the MercerGuard Cut Glove, but I think I got one that was cheaper at the time and had good reviews on Amazon.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-Brand-Freezer-Two-Gallon-Bags-with-Grip-n-Seal-Technology-10-Count/12166312
https://www.amazon.com/pieces-Gallon-Reclosable-Freezer-Storage/dp/B009ZL3S5Y

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The reviewer was probably correct for what they got. Amazon lets you sell different things under the same listing, and sometimes even completely change what's under the listing. Add that to the issue of sending out counterfeits, and it's a shitshow.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The major difference is that the crock pot is much better at retaining moisture. If you do a pot roast in the oven, even with the lid on and a piece of foil in there, whatever part of the meat is sticking out of the liquid will get all brown and Maillardy and delicious. It won't in a crock pot (or an instant pot).

You also don't have a guarantee on a crock pot's temp. I know even on low, mine has a pretty active simmer. Older ones are supposed to run cooler, but then you're dealing with an appliance from the '70s and ehhhh.

There is a whole thing you can set up with a crock pot, a thermometer, and an inline dimmer -- originally intended to handle sous vide when the other options were way more expensive.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have this great tiny guy to weigh, of all things, yarn. Also works well for kitchen stuff. Even if you don't want that exact one, https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/ is great. Here are all the ones with 0.01 accuracy if you want to be that specific.