Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why are you using the lid to cook ground beef? If you want to steam it for whatever reason, it seems easier to do in the microwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My only frustration with the NordicWare ones is you can’t run them through the dishwasher, or the aluminum oxidizes and gets black powder on everything forever. That’s the only reason I’d consider a different pan

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I’m surprised the seasoning adhered well enough when the surface under it was coming off. Tbf I have accidentally seasoned the tops of my pans (roasting chickens will do it), but not the outsides.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For me it’s not OCD, it’s pure laziness. I don’t mind discoloration, I just really dislike having to wrangle a whole half-sheet pan into a sink it doesn’t fit into, and I inevitably slop soapy/dirty water everywhere and it’s just a pain in the rear end. I would rather just throw it in the machine and walk away.

I didn’t know the oxidized layer could be removed, though, that’s super interesting and I’ll give it a shot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You’re literally describing the Rubbermaid Brilliance Glass, hooray

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you have any floor space, the portable dishwashers on wheels are 100% worth it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Corelle is honestly perfect in every way, except it has grandma rep

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Think about the difference between dried apples (gummy, chewy) in trail mix and freeze-dried apples (crispy, like astronaut ice cream) in breakfast cereal. Or bananas or berries or apricots or whatever

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do you live in Alaska to be paying $2.65/lb for plain beets? Are Costco’s beets organic or chioggia or something? I live in NYC and I’ve never paid more than $1/lb for plain red beets without the greens. I’m guessing she has a source around that price, or less if she’s buying in bulk.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are all kinds of things you can do with pulverized freeze-dried fruits (or vegetables I guess) in baking. If you have the freeze-dried fruit, it’s super easy and brings a great fresh flavor without throwing off the consistency or needing a lot of manipulation. I did bananas in blondies, seedless raspberries in pastry cream, etc. People are just starting to get into using freeze-dried fruit, so there’s a ton of new ground to break, whatever you can think of. Wild blueberry sausages, why not

Those of us without a helpful neighbor can reliably score some fruits (iirc apple, banana, mango, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) in pouches at Trader Joe’s. Be sure you’re getting freeze-dried and not just dried!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 13, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The best plastic wrap is a cheap one, stretch-tite

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
And more likely to get your husband or kids to flip a tab.

In those days it was also normal to call your grocer for delivery (at least in cities and suburbs), so you could phone while looking at the list. Tl;dr but interesting

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 8, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You saved enough money on the mixer itself that getting new beaters will be way more than worthwhile. Paint the mixer a different color if you’re feeling ambitious.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Air sous vide seems like just regular oven reverse searing. Which is cool and good and better than regular SV for thick things, but not something that really needed a gimmicky name

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

smackfu posted:

So the idea of sous vide is that you put stuff in 150 degree water and eventually it entirely comes up to 150, rather than heating the outside at 450 until the inside is 150.

Does that really work with air?
It would work with air but takes longer. For reverse searing, you still have a difference, but less of one so it creates less of a gradient. For example, I do pork roasts with the oven at 250°F until the center gets to 140°.

It does dry out the very exterior, but not like jerky. It sets you up perfectly for a sear that leaves an incredible crust, which is why I prefer it to SV.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Penzey’s emails are basically Dr. Bronner but not wrong. If you just pagedown to the end, that’s where the coupons/deals are, the images at the end.

One thing I think is cool is not only do they openly state their beliefs (over and over and over again), they also put their money where their mouth is, by doing a ton of giveaways and deep discounting, and prioritizing that over their profit margin

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I live alone and I have zero interest in not having a microwave. My #1 use is steaming vegetables, #2 reheating leftovers, #3 popcorn. Is it necessary? No, but neither is having more than one knife, right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

You should really make popcorn in a pot. Not only does it taste better, those microwave bags contain a lot of bad stuff. It’s also easy and quick.
1) I didn’t mention bags, 2) a bag a week is very far from popcorn lung territory, 3) I love smoked meats so that ship has sailed, 4) while popcorn in a pot is doable, I’m not always stoked to shake a pot for 10 minutes when I just want a lil snack.

Tbh though I have to revise my order. My #3 microwave use is prep, like toasting rice for a pilaf or softening onions for…everything

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Strongly recommend not washing your produce in a washing machine. There are a bunch of home threads, the whole DIY forum has a plumbing thread, any of those are a better fit for washers and dryers

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Relevant to everyone imo. Silicone is only tolerable to me if it’s always handwashed. Silicone that’s been through the dishwasher not only tastes like soap, it also makes everything else taste like soap to me. Stir scrambled eggs with your silicone spatula? That’s scrambled soap now

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Teflon pans were around for like 50 years before silicone kitchenware. Wood is fine, regular plastic is fine. Or I just use silicone but handwash

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The bucket and gamma seal lid still fits the bill. The thing is, even the best storage just keeps out new bad guys. If there are already eggs in your rice (and there are), and it’s not fridged or frozen, eventually they grow up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have an NYC kitchen and I still love a good unitasker. Alton Brown can go gently caress himself.

I never got the point of claws, though. When I shred a pork shoulder, I want to separate fat and crud from good meat, so I’d rather have the control that two forks give me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It’s a ball whisk, which is superior to balloons in every way

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah my dishwasher does an excellent job, but the rack layout just absolutely sucks for my needs. I guess they figure people don’t eat family dinners anymore, so nobody uses serving bowls, so the lower rack is literally 100% for plates.

For sheet pans, I can put one along the side, not vertical, but leaning in diagonally across the tops of the plates/etc to avoid the arm. That works fine, I don’t need any special support for it

v if their life is like mine, probably grease from stuff like chicken quarters

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 27, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would do that math real hard. A lot of it is stoneware

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you have a whole-rear end candy shop, why not get candy shears? Piping bag tips can be handled with a $5 Walmart special that just gets sharpened or replaced whenever

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

You can get ripoffs for much less and see if it becomes something you integrate into your workflow. They'll be slower and a bit less accurate and much worse construction but they do the job. If you like it you can ask Santa for a thermapen!

On this topic my kitchaid leave-in oven thermometer is way off and my roast came out rate, not medium rare. Can someone recommend me a good one? I kinda don't want a digital one because I don't want to fuss with the door seal on my oven. Ty!
The door seal isn’t a problem ime. I have the Thermoworks one, because it also does cold stuff like when I make ice cream, but I use an Ikea one at my parents’ and it’s also totally good for being all of $10. I think Bluetooth ones are also a thing, so there’s no cord coming out of the oven, but the display is still outside of the oven and there’s an alarm.

For regular probes, I agree, a $15 one is perfectly fine. I can see you’d notice a Thermapen’s speed when you’re cooking like 15 or 20 pieces of meat, but I personally am cooking like 1-3 pieces so it doesn’t matter whatsoever if it takes an extra second each. You also rarely have to wait for the temp to finalize, it just needs to be past X, or going in the right direction when you switch pieces, which it only takes a second to determine anyway.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Anytime I’ve thought my all-clads were warped, it was actually that my whole stove was off

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I just like piecemeal as you need them. ATK reviews are a great starting point, not that you always have to get their #1 pick, but they have good explanations so you can be like “actually I do want the bigger ladle even though it’s not dishwasher-safe” or whatever. Oxo tools are almost always good but not always the best.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Aren’t those the ones that make loud clack sounds when you cut on them
I have some with bumpers and little ones with no bumpers, but I don’t think I’ve heard them clack? I do put a silicone hot pad under the no-bumper ones if I’m cutting a lot fwiw

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For the ones with internal ice makers, do they absolutely have to be hooked to a water line, or is there a reservoir you could fill with a pitcher?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can anyone recommend an oil for maintaining wooden spoons and handles, ideally with an amazon link? I know it’s one of those debate topics, but I just want the two-sentence version, please (please)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can buy parchment paper air fryer liners. After that it’s basically just a hot wet paper towel. I still don’t like my air fryer because it doesn’t get hot enough to maillard or crisp, but at least it is easy to clean

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Those are up in the inside of mine so it’s none of my business

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They absolutely don’t all work the same. Maybe it would work like that if both microwaves were packed solid, but under real-world conditions, my smaller/lower-wattage microwave takes longer than my parents’ regular one for everything from softening butter and steaming vegetables to reheating leftovers and making popcorn. Sometimes packages will even have a little table of different timings based on wattage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Bristle brushes will suck it up and help get liquid from mixing bowl to thing-being-brushed. Silicone brushes just poke it around, and not very well. I still prefer a silicone brush, though, because it doesn’t waste as much liquid and it feels like you can actually get it clean.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Aramoro posted:

How often do you guys power go out? Feels like a really niche concern but do you just have a really unstable grid in your area or something?
The issue is less “whole grid goes down due to something at the power plant” and more due to stuff like trees and cars taking out poles and wires, but often a bunch of poles and wires at once due to a big snowstorm, hurricane, etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Any cheap electronic timer with 0-9 buttons for me. I don’t have this one, but it seems like a fine example of the type of thing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012QP8ORW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Definitely convenience and less explodability. But see if you can borrow or use a friend’s instant pot before deciding. You can absolutely brown meat in mine, and if you wanted to go farther and char something, you can also just put the liner pot on the stove. The first week after I moved, when everything was in boxes, I was using the instant pot liner on the stovetop for everything, including boiling pasta. It’s not ideal because of the lack of handles, but it’s definitely doable