Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've been told I need to get a cast iron frying pan so I don't destroy my non-stick one by cooking meat and things in it. I had a look round, and the most common brand I can get here (the Netherlands) is Le Creuset. They're kind of expensive (26cm pan is 140 euros), and I notice that's a brand that's mentioned in the OP. Is it worth investing that much money in the pan, or should I shop around looking for something cheaper? I can afford the cost, and I would like a good quality pan that lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Like this one?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90264845/

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

I've noticed that I'm frying foods a lot lately because I'm a fatty fat and fried poo poo tastes amazing, but I decided for my birthday I'd like a dedicated fryer. What have you heard about those "healthy" air fryers and do you recommend one?

I've not heard good things about them. The consensus I've heard is that you end up with food that tastes like it's been half fried and half steamed, so something which has been breadcrumbed turns out a bit soggy, rather than nice and crunchy. I'm sure it's possible to make nice food in such a device, but it won't be deep fried food.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

So the consensus is that air fryers are gimmicky and bad, which is pretty much what I needed to hear, thanks. We moved into an apartment with awful coil burners, so a wok's out. Would a dutch oven fare well on those? Aside from just getting a deep fryer, that's my second choice; it only helps that I really love making stews and such, so it could pull double duty.

I have a frier, and the main advantage is how quick and convenient it is. You don't need to store the oil separately, or use a thermometer to monitor the temperature or anything, you just take it out, turn it on, and 10m later you're frying whatever it is you want. The downside is that it's a real pain in the rear end to clean compared to a simple pan (ammonia and hot water is helpful for this) and it's tempting to not change the oil very often, which can lead to issues if you're trying to be creative. The oil will quickly pick up the flavour of what you frequently fry in it and that flavour will spread to other things. Not a big deal if you only cook fries and chicken and things, but certainly an issue if you suddenly decide to make doughnuts.

Given what everyone's said, I'd say if you want to have deep fried, savoury food 2-3 times a week, get a frier, otherwise a crockpot sounds like it would serve you better.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Brining a bird sounds like a fun thing to try. Is it worth doing it with a smaller bird, like a 3lb chicken? It's hard to buy bigger poultry round here, and I don't think me and my GF would be able to finish a 10lb turkey anyways...

Has anyone got a link to a webpage that explains the right way of doing it?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

The Food Lab article up the page contains more information than most people will ever conceivably need on the subject, and in it there's a link to another Food Lab article with more information.

Thank you!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

FireTora posted:

Thermoworks is having a Black Friday sale through Monday.
http://www.thermoworks.com/specials/?tw=HBF
The new MK4 Themapen is $80 and the classic is $70 + a bunch of other stuff is on sale.

Would something like that work for tempering chocolate? The thermometers I have right now aren't accurate enough at low temperatures.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mcstanb posted:

Yes it would. I have one and can measure anything from meat temps to sugar.

Cool!

Was poking around and the Mk3 is available here for $45:

http://thermapen.co.uk/superfast-thermapen-3/48-superfast-thermapen-3-discounted-colours.html

From comparing them via their web pages. I think the Mk3 is missing some things like a display that autorotates as you move the thermometer and a backlight, but otherwise does the same job.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

UncleSmoothie posted:

I just got these rosti rings for making potato rostis but I don't want to be that guy who has a lot of single-purpose widgets around the kitchen. What else can I do with these besides forming little cheesecakes and making potato rostis?

Make chocolate chip cookies, and use the rings to cut them all into the same uniform size. Then, make vanilla ice cream, mix in a bag of m&ms, and pour it into a baking tray to harden, so you get a layer of M&M ice cream about half an inch thick. Once the ice cream's hardened, use the rings to cut out discs of it, then place each disc of ice cream between two cookie discs to make ice cream sandwiches. Eat, enjoy, die of diabetes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

I think you'd want a sander, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to find one that can properly reach the flat surface inside the pan. A quick google indicates that most sanders have the handle too low, so the edges of the pan would get in the way.

You could always try sanding it by hand, it's a cheap thing to try rather than investing in a power tool.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 21, 2016