Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Convection ovens are bad because uhhhh fat people *fart*
Sorry but a convection oven that costs 3x as much due to the label, "oil-less fryer" is faddy bullshit and is bad. If you fry food properly you're not gaining many calories anyway and a lot of people who turn to such lovely products do not account for that and will eat more.

/e- Don't know what a good dedicated fryer is, but don't skimp on it too much. The cheap ones do not recover the tempurature fast and take a while to heat up. I like a wok or dutch oven + burner with a candy thermometer.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They very greatly in quality. For a turkey roast, maybe it doesn't matter.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sextro posted:

I haven't looked past Amazon, but are any of the high end Rice cookers getting caught up in this fall/Black Friday/cyber business?
The Zojirushi 1L is about 85 dollars from the Amazon warehouse today.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sextro posted:

I think I missed this, unless I went blind. Oh well. Back to the stove top method for another year.
Choose http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0074CDG6C/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all the warehouse as sell for 15% off at checkout. Closer to 95 bucks depending on tax.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chambers are good for wetter things. Foodsavers with the hose are have tupperware to do marinades with.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It smooths out fast and if you season with garlic/rice, really fast. I'd grab whichever one feels better to pound.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The first one will take 45 to an hour to cook the rice regardless of how much water/rice there is. It adjusts the temperature and the vents to cook it perfectly. It no poo poo produces 'buttery' rice that I still cannot fathom. You can choose brown rice or other options which will change how it takes that hour to cook, whether keeping the rice warm in the beginning to germinate the rice before cooking (I think this is only available in the induction models, but it's an illustration of fuzzy) or doing a portage.

The second is their conventional rice cooker, so it'll just cook the rice until the water is absorbed/boiled and it reads the plate's temp as hotter than boiling. Might be for white rice only but I'm not sure.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Going to replace my flatware, glasses and dishes. Any suggestions before I look for something pretty?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have a preferred reseller that doesn't have a 300 minimum?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can just get a HP or higher watt KA if you're worried about bread doughs in a home setting.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Processor works very well for pizza dough. I only use my mixer since I do 3kg batches.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a big old island that I want to keep an end grain cutting board on and also an unrelated meat grinder (can be KA attachment but I recall those get hot fast.) For the cutting board I wouldn't mind supporting some dude rather than a factory.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Before you dive into allclad, spending like 2x more than other ply cookware, hold a handle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The issue I have with them is a weird D grip which requires you to twist the wrist to fit well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I ended up buying a stovetop recently, the Swiss one in the OP, after having electric for years. Stovetops can get to 15 psi (Swiss to 17.49 before the safety triggers, but marker at 15) as their higher pressure while the electrics are restricted to 12 or so. The electrics are also pretty slow to get to pressure too, about 30-40 minutes while the stovetop depends on your range. I also like the stainless for induction and not having to baby it opposed to the non stick in the electric. Conversely my coworkers swears by his electric and thinks it's the easiest and best thing. Hit a button and come back when it beeps.

Its worth having one regardless of what you pick for stocks alone imo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's hands off, which is a huge plus for making cocktails.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Using two hands to guide the pasta is quite nice with the KA attachment opposed to a crank.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I see no decimals on that page and you should just use the Japanese cup. I honestly have been doing long grain white using the line with amazing results so you won't get a bad batch so mess around.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good rolling pin? I have a non-french atm which is too light and my knuckles don't clear the dough unless I'm careful.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks, grabbed that one and another maple tapered for rounder doughs.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those are fine. I prefer the handles so I can hang them on hooks

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Grilldome is another ceramic which is quite nice

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good propane burner for a patio that can be placed on a cart? I wanna start woking properly

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does it radiate a ton of heat down? If not that sounds perfect. It'll be placed on wood.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What about if the felt gasket fails, which I've heard is common?

Those fail due to user error. It's easy to replace with a tape if youre not lazy

/e- like branding them with coals is how they'd die

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought it was a little odd, but I also figured dimensions were likely on the page linked.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Like this is the description

quote:

With your company pot luck around the corner, you've been busy scratching your head, wondering how you’re going to make a dish large enough to serve so many employees. After going through your recipe book numerous times, you keep stopping on the creamy potato soup. It's always been your personal favorite, especially since everyone who has tried it has never turned away.

Invest in this 80 quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Cover (SP-80) from Pinch and easily make large batches of your favorite soups, chilis, and more! This durable pot has been designed to withstand high volume use and you’ll be the center of attention at this year’s pot luck.

This stock pot is perfect for pot lucks:
20 gallon capacity (80 quarts) and is 16” in height and 20” in diameter
3-ply bottom consists of two layers of stainless steel surrounding a 5mm aluminum core
Excellent heat distribution that can be used on induction ranges
1.2mm/18 gauge 18/8 stainless steel superior strength and durability
Purchase includes lid
Great for preparing large batches of soups, pasta, broth, chili and more!
Pinch Pointers

No need to find a large bowl; you can serve your soup straight from this stock pot!
The first 40, while expensive, is likely very good at what it does, which is not feed a bunch of employees.

not being snarky, it's a very innocent mistake which I'm sure will be more memorable than the 40.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rgocs posted:

After firing up the grill to cook dinner the other day, I figured I could take advantage of it and use it to season a cast iron skillet and a griddle. I rubbed vegetable shortening on them and put them inside the covered BBQ, upside down, for an hour at 400F. After an hour, I took them out, applied more shortening and in for an hour more. Then left to cool down.

I had read about expecting a lot of smoke, but did not see any. They both came out a little sticky, the griddle considerable stickier. Is that expected? Did I do something wrong?

too thick of oil if it's sticky. Get that sucker super hot then start again.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that is exactly why I got it. I haven't had a waffle in like 6 years but I will make waffle shaped everything.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I need to make more instant breads and a waffle seems to be king of that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fluff, the full analog ones are where it's at.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I genuinely hope the reconditioned inspection would check that but you never know

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

None of the lifts have a plastic box.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Check the coffee thread, but spend 30 on an aeropress or moca pot and save money.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've done that multiple times and it eventually works itself out. No rust I assume.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stone's texture is better imo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you're thinking about it too hard. just keep using it unless rust

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd look for a butcher block instead. I have a fold-able one that I got from Home Goods.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

From a Meh sale yesterday, one of the Panasonics tend to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

soda-lime can and will break randomly, not even due to thermal shock.