Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

alnilam posted:

:wtc: induction is like 420 cast iron every day

There is no worry about functionality - she's worried about scratching the surface of the induction cooktop itself. I have no idea how scratch resistant that glass is, but I've seen plenty of hosed up glasstop ranges in the past, so it's not a completely unfounded concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mystes posted:

420 is steel don't you know anything?

That's probably a reasonable concern in terms of ensuring the cooktop lasts a long time, but functionally I suspect the glass getting scratched probably doesn't even matter as much on induction compared to conventional glasstop electric cooktops

Not my kitchen, not my decision. If it were me, it would be all induction - and I'd either use those induction surface protector mats or simply never move the cast iron around on the surface once it's placed (like I do now).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oxyclean posted:

Still wouldn't mind a thought on this, but also does OPs' recommendation on microwaves still stand? Panasonics with Inverters?

Just had my current (maybe 7-10 years old?) microwave die kind of unprompted with a "pop" and it seemingly just being dead.

This question came up around the end of 2023 in the General Questions thread, and the Panasonic inverter microwaves were still the go-to suggestion then. I doubt much has changed in the last 3 months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sirotan posted:

This is kitchen equipment, I guess: anybody have a brand of tumbler-style cups they like? Maybe that is not even the right name but I've got a ~20yr old set of these plastic/acrylic ones and I think my dishwasher is murdering them, I've lost two of them in the last three days. There is an insane amount of choices in this space and idk where to even start. Current cups are 24oz and I'd love to get something of similar size to replace, maybe in glass instead? Anybody got a recommendation?

I don't have a brand recommendation for you, however I do have a recommendation to not order these off Amazon whenever you do decide. Due to the sheer amount of fraudulent/counterfeit product on there, and the fact that they not only intermix legit product with product from other vendors (and no supply chain security whatsoever), the chance of you getting a real set of tumblers vs. a facsimile is alarmingly high.

This matters because you're going to be drinking from them - the plastic needs to be foodsafe.

Some quick googling found me a couple options, I have no affiliation to any of these. I can't even vouch for their products, but I'd trust them over Amazon at least.

https://www.saveacup.com/
https://www.cuptureusa.com/
https://www.usacrylic.com/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Back when we had two incomes, I bought my husband a Ken Onion chef's knife. It's started getting blunt even when honed. I'm in a very small town. Are there any mail order sharpening services you recommend? I used the local sharpener on a less-loved knife and the results were bad.

Is it the Ken Onion knife manufactured by Shun/KAI, or was someone else the manufacturer? If it's Shun, they have a mail-in sharpening service with information here, however you have to fill out a form in advance, and the turnaround is about 2 weeks. I can't speak to their quality, but I'd assume it's at least adequate. Looks like it's $15 as the shipping and processing fee, plus whatever you spend to ship it to them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

idontpost69 posted:

anyone familiar with removing stubborn manufacturer coatings on carbon steel pans or woks? I've had some bad luck getting it off the wok I just purchased, I wasn't really able to blue it on my ceramic stove and scrubbing with bar keepers friend didn't do the trick either.

Soaking in vinegar will usually strip it down to the bare metal, link to said wok?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DontMindMe posted:

I recently just had my kitchen completely remodeled, and was looking at possibly getting a new set of pots and pans.

Is All-Clad sets still recommended? Or is the first page a bit out of date at this point?

All-Clad is still very good, but on the pricey side. Other brands I own and am quite happy with are Made In and the Sur La Table house brand set (which is currently on a very good sale). I've had an earlier version of the SLT stuff (seen here) for more than a decade now, and been quite happy with it. Looks like everyone is running some flavor of Easter sale, however, so now is a good time to buy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VelociBacon posted:

Prepare to officially size up your belts and pants.

I thought goons just wore sweatpants anyway?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FaradayCage posted:

Both Marshall's and TJMaxx near me have David Burke sheet pans with cooling racks for a really good price ($6-10 depending on cooling rack and current phase of the moon).

https://chefskissathome.com/products/copy-of-david-burke-sheet-pan-and-cooling-rack-in-bronze

As far as I can tell, they have the same properties as the darling Williams Sonoma corrugated non-stick sheet pans. Might be a bit heavier/sturdier.

Anyone have any experience with these? They're oven-safe up to 450F - should I avoid broiling with them?

The concern there is the coating, Xylan (similar to Teflon). I probably wouldn't broil with them; depending on who you ask, the coating begins to degrade between 500F and 550F - which your broiler can easily hit. For general purpose cooking, roasting, baking, etc. they're fine. Other people would be perfectly fine broiling with them, so it's really a personal choice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never made yogurt but I have made Viili. It's very easy just start from a store bought cup. I have a bunch of reusable glass cups with their own glass lids.

Basically I just spoon out a dollop in each cup, pour over regular milk and some cream because it's better like that. Put them in the cupboard for 24h before moving to the fridge. Works every time. My grandparents did this.

I have like 6 jars in the fridge now.

If I had any idea where I could get a starter culture for this locally I'd give it a shot. I'll have to look at some of the specialty grocery stores in my city!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skooms posted:

Out of some absurd quantity of luck, I found a working older model Robot Coupe on the sidewalk that someone was trying to get of. It doesn't have face control buttons - just a classic twist to start function.

I'm a pretty avid cook, and worked in restaurants for a long time as a sommelier - but my understanding about Robot Coupes' main advantage is durability and power, not necessarily providing additional functionality. Unlessss there's something I'm missing? Can anyone think of anything I could do with it that a normal consumer grade food processor couldn't?

Depending on the food processor, maybe knead dough? I know there are a bunch of recipes out there, never tried it myself (I can't bake worth a drat), but apparently it's possible - not sure a Robot Coupe would work for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is there a recommended food storage container brand that’s microwave safe for reheating? We have a pyrex (lower case) set that works well enough, but I might as well check for better options before doubling up on everything.

Everything I've seen is that as long as it isn't plastic, you're fine. Some family of mine swears by Anchor Hocking, but I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.