Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to say I picked up a new classic 4.5qt kitchenaid stand mixer for $250 shipped after tax, Canadian, from Amazon. Kitchenaid.com won't take a credit card with a Canadian address or I would have bought a refurb pro model for $299 (of which there are many btw American goons).

The only way I know to beat the Amazon prices on Kitchenaid mixers is if you can combine a 20% coupon with a sale at Bed Bath and Beyond.

My brother in-law's probe thermo poo poo the bed over Thanksgiving, so I'm going to get him that new Thermoworks model (some goon in the last thread gave it high praise).

https://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/dot.html

Any reason why I should get the bigger, more complicated one?

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

I kind of like the simplicity of the round one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

What muffin tins should I get? Plain aluminum or nonstick?

I also noticed that among "regular size" muffin tins, some are significantly smaller and some bigger:

Is there one size I should lean towards?

Size is personal preference, but I like my non-stick muffin pans. They scratch just as easily as other kind of non-stick, though, so don't use a fork to pop them out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dead lettuce posted:

Are there any good Thermapen deals going on right now? My mom wants to buy me one for Christmas, I love her even more now :swoon:

Through 4PM today:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy has a really nice one in the basement, I'll go look up the model later.

Sadly, I'm not allowed to dry any meat in it, since that would stink up the entire house. A stink that I would enjoy, but hey, it's her machine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There are a ton of recipes online for things cooked in the rice cooker:
http://www.kikkoman.com/cookbook/search/recipe.php?numb=00000029

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a commercial cutter

Yeah, it's $55, but all those cheap plastic things on amazon will just break after a few months. Your other option would be a good mandoline, but that's even more expensive.

Truth. You need an all metal body, plate and lever. Any plastic = garbage. And it's not just that they wear out and break quickly, because they flex/bend so much in use, they barely have enough oomph to get though normal potatoes.

Ten years ago, I lived with a French Fry junkie, and we went through a few cheap ones before spending $75 on the real deal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I normally don't post unsolicited recommendations here but I got the Waring Pro double waffle maker for Christmas and I feel like I've finally found the holy grail of waffle makers. Waffles come out light and crisp on the outside. Being able to cook two at a time makes it actually useful for feeding the family. Cleanup is easy, and nothing sticks to the plates. Highly recommend.

Had oven-fried chicken tonight so I made cornbread waffles to serve with it. Turned out great.

My mom has the single waffle version of that. While it makes great waffles, it's terrible for feeding a mob of people all at once.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

1redflag posted:

I always feel like the "bought it X years ago, still going strong" reviews are somewhat worthless, because most companies cheap out on manufacturing expenses nowadays (at least compared to the iron workhorses they made decades ago). Just my two cents.

Yeah exactly. The Kitchenaide my mom bought to replace her 30 year old one wasn't nearly as well made as the one she replaced, and they were the exact same model.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The coffee thread is LEAKING!

I make pretty much only French Press at home, and I've been super happy with my Capresso Infinity. I bought the more expensive one with the solid stainless steel base, and it's VERY quiet. Won't wake up the whole house.

The old bladed grinder I previously used was total poo poo; if you aren't willing to spend $100 on a grinder, just stick to using the grinder in the coffee isle in the supermarket. Filthy as it may be, they tend to be well built machines.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just don't slide it around while cooking, or it will scratch the painted-on rings.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Schpyder posted:

Be warned, they can be pretty aggressive and you could easily end up with dished depressions in your pan rather than a smooth surface.

Yeah exactly. If you want to actually remove metal (for whatever reason), do it by hand. Or else you may not like the results.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This is one of the things I miss about living in Vermont... at the dump, there is a huge section of appliances you can pick parts off of for free.

People in VT love to reuse things. The light fixture over my kitchen table was a Vermont dump-pick, I just had to buy new glass shades for it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Haggins posted:

The thing about non-stick is it eventually wears off and stops working. Some people have valid reasons for wanting one, but I don't think their a necessity. CI/ATK recommends that one because it's cheap and they don't think it's worth investing a lot of money in something that's going to wear out. Personally I never need non-stick because I find that butter/vegetable oil/olive oil/Pam works well enough. Secondly, some times I do want things to stick, mostly when I'm cooking meat and making a pan sauce. The only time I wish I had non stick is eggs/omelets and crepes. It's probably worth $25 just for those things.

DING DING DING

I have that pan that the Test Kitchen uses, and it's great. 80-90% of it's use is cooking eggs, but I do use it for other things. And once it wears out (as all non-stick do), I'll just buy another one for $25. It's a bargain.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CHARLES posted:

I really want the pasta rollerattachment but gently caress paying the $150+ dollars for an attachment that I always see it listed for

Mrs. Squashy has been bugging me for one, but yeah, gently caress $150.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The gun seems unnecessarily complicated... I have an indoor smoking box, it's less then $50 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Stovetop-Smoker-Original-Camerons-Stainless/dp/B00004SZ9D/

It's a hot smoke, not a cold one, so you can't do the same things to meat that you can with an outdoor smoker, but it's perfect for adding smoke flavor to things like veggies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How well does it seal the smoke in? I have a small apartment and fire alarms, but no outdoor space in which to erect a smoker. Also, outdoor smokers are expressly prohibited.

The instructions tell you to bend the top a little, and if you do that right, it closes tightly enough that no smoke escapes. Your kitchen will smell smokey, but there won't be any smoke in the air.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Fluff, the full analog ones are where it's at.

drat straight. Turn it on and set the speed.

They only added the fluff to compete with Ninja.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How well does it seal the smoke in? I have a small apartment and fire alarms, but no outdoor space in which to erect a smoker. Also, outdoor smokers are expressly prohibited.

The smoker in action. Hickory smoke. Veggies, extra firm tofu, and some of Mrs. Squashy's scratch made seitan beef.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHCfUdJAQXz/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flaggy posted:

When I bought these I also bought a pack of the plastic dripper lids.

https://www.amazon.com/Dripper-Inse...8NESGZQ2N0W5VCT

Best decision ever.

Whoa, these are perfect! Previously, I would just buy small bottles of lovely hot sauce at the dollar store, dump it out and reuse them.

Glass is SO much better for hot sauce.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, they're the same as Commerical models. Lead gears that strip instead of destroying the motor.

Ask me about that time I found out Hobart manufactures their floor mixers with lead gears, and no you can't mix 50lbs of chesnut cookie dough in there.

Tell me.

I'm trying to imagine what that might sound like, and I'm failing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Looks like it's no longer available, but this is the compressor ice cream machine I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-GM6000-Gelato-Self-Refrigerating-Compressor/dp/B002RT91FM/

It was relatively cheap at $250. Makes great ice cream, and very quickly, too. The only downside is that the bowl is small, so most recipes for custard base have to be frozen in two batches.

That said, it will crank out batch after batch, all day long.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Granite is way better, but it will wear out faster then metal.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Stone's texture is better imo

Yeah, and while it does wear faster, you have to use it a lot before you'll notice a difference.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nabokoffin posted:

It is just mineral oil, can get big bottles of the stuff in the pharmacy area of most wal-marts or walgreens or probably the internet.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/digestive-health/fiber-laxatives/cvs-health-mineral-oil-usp-lubricant-laxative-prodid-1011823

For a pint, not much more for a quart. The downside is you have to buy something called lubricant/laxative.

Edit: make sure you buy stuff that is labeled USP or food grade.

Note that the stuff you buy at the drugstore is HEAVY mineral oil, so it's extra thick. Most cutting board oil is thin, which is a little easier to rub in.

Both kinds still work fine, though.

mich posted:

Man, I've had my Artisan for 11 years and it's still going strong and has been used for hundreds and hundreds of flour worth of bread, cakes, and cookies and hundreds of egg whites worth of meringue based icings. I prefer having a tilt head for processes that require adding ingredients at various steps in time though I guess they make bowl attachment things to help with that if you have a bowl lift.

Maybe it's because my mom always had the tilt-head model, but I prefer it as well. Who knows, maybe if I had the bowl lift for a while I would change my mind.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Did someone mention CI equipment reviews? Well, one of the places they are dead on is in non-stick frypans.

For like 5 years, the go to recommendation has been the "T-fal E93808 Professional Nonstick Oven Safe Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWG0T2/

It's been the"#1 Best Seller" on Amazon for a few years, and it deserves it: Its a great pan, and a bargain at $28.

I only have one small issue: the "Thermospot" makes the bottom of the pan a little... not flat. a minor pain when heating a small amount of oil.
Other then that, it wears out like any other non-stick pan. This one survived just about two years of fairly heavy use, so again, I think it's good bang for the buck.

Anyway, back in August, CI anointed a new favorite non-stick pan: OXO Good Grips Non-Stick 12" Open Frypan
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Non-Stick-Frypan/dp/B00PCI6XP6

At $40, more expensive then the previous winner. It also comes in a "pro" version for $58, but I didn't buy that one.

It's a great pan, better then the old one. Bottom is perfectly flat, and after cooking with it for a month, I just like the shape better. It's subtle stuff, but I definitely like the new pan better.
When the new CI rankings came out, this pan was briefly hard to get on Amazon, so I ordered mine from Bed Bath & Beyond (got free shipping, too).

The CI reviews are right on this one: you really can't go wrong with either pan.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just keep in mind that a Dehydrator will STINK UP YOUR ENTIRE HOUSE. Best to keep it someplace well-ventilated.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh right... meat. I'm not allowed to dehydrate meat in the house. :smith:

Dehydrated veggies smell terrible.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Last time I stocked up on chargers, I bought the cheaper ones, it for the first time, I noticed a little difference in taste. Supposedly some are "purer" then others, but this was the first time I've ever noticed an off taste, even if it is barely noticeable.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

This is the paddle on the mini Kitchenaid.

That looks... freaky and WRONG.

I actually sort of like that pukey color, though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Here is the one I have. It has served me faithfully for at least four years with regular use. The mini-processor attachment is also very handy, and the measuring cup that's just large enough to fit the head of the blender is perfect for making salad dressing and homemade mayonnaise.

Interesting, I never use that thing. In fact, I never seem to have a need for mini-choppers at all.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Neon Noodle posted:

Juice is really bad for you.

No, not really, but whole blended fruits and veggies are better for you.

Unless you have a medical condition where you can't tolerate fiber, you are much better off with a Vitamix.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^No, not quite "hot". But eggs will cook and some emulsions will separate.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

nothing comes close and they last forever

Agreed. The Mrs. uses hers a lot, it's lasted 12 years with only having two replace two parts.

Kind of nice to have something in this day and age that is actually repairable.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I came in here to post this. Mrs. Squashy has been doing more and more of her professional cooking on these. We needed another one for the house because she took the other two in to work!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I assume it is just a well-marketed example? I have had a combo pressure/slow/rice cooker for like a decade now.

The IP is not a new idea, it's just particularly well designed and implemented. It almost lives up to the hype.

Also, this:

Glambags posted:

much easier to clean

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That's way too well-built to be called "hillbilly".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

emotive posted:

Induction burners -- Worth the $60?

I was thinking of picking one up once I move into my new apartment. There's an electric stove there, but I seem to hear lots of people rave about this one: https://www.amazon.com/Secura-8100M...2XY3ET1CV01M0AE

Yes, but check the wattage. Low wattage ones are terrible.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You want at least 1800W.

Mrs. Squashy once bought a double burner advertised at 1800W, not realizing that it was 1800 SHARED between the two. It's super weak; don't fall for that one.

EDIT: I like this one for $55

avantco-icbtm-20-countertop-induction-range-cooker-120v-1800w

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

My wife uses an air fryer to make fries and they are okay.
Uses hardly any oil so probably way better for you.

Secret tip: you can make better "fries" with an oven, a sheet pan, and some parchment paper. It's a little more effort, though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want my steak to arrive sliced, then have someone else pre-chew it and feed me like a baby bird.

Isn't Chinese food always cut into bite-sized pieces because Confucius said that knives at the table are barbaric?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

The Marcato Atlas machine is the gold standard anyway.

And they last FOREVER. My mom's is 35 years old now, and it's still in perfect condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good filleting knife? For flounder, if that matters

I don't fish, but sometimes I catch flounder while scuba diving.