Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Spray what?

I like the idea of not having to clean the thing after cooking a single egg.

Then don’t get any form of glass top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Gotta keep a masala dabba on the table with nothing but like 9 different salts.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It’s where the top of the food was when you microwaved it too long. It’s fine.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

moana posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on double vs single ovens that are slide-in (not wall ovens)? We have a very small house so wall ovens aren't really possible. I'm considering a dual oven but am wondering if the lower oven is going to be too much of a pain to get to or if I'll miss having the storage drawer of my single oven.

At the same time, a dual oven sounds pretty awesome for being able to cook at two temps and for not having to heat up a whole big oven every time I want to cook a pan of fries or something.

The kitchen remodel guy made a comment that the oven sizes can get a little cramped in a double vs single oven, but that only seems like a problem if you are cooking, like, a massive turkey or something.

We bought a house with a double oven about a year and a half ago and I hate it. A lot. I (used to) make a lot of large format stuff like big turkeys, big Dutch ovens full of braises, standing rib roasts, etc... That's pretty much the only con though. It just happens to be a huge con for me specifically.

If you don't make big stuff like that, and want to enjoy running a sheet tray at one temp, and a normal size thing at another, then it may be a good choice for you.

Edit: The one specific use case that I used to do all the time that I simply can't now, is two half depth hotel pans. I could fit two in a normal oven, but now only one in the bottom oven of my double, and the top is too small to fit even one.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've been using two "expensive" (~$6) paint brushes from Home Depot for going on 10 years, and I don't think either of them have dropped a single bristle.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I've had my Victorinox chef's knife for like 13 years. I hone it after each use but I've never sharpened it; it's managed to last this long because I don't use it that much, but a friend recently commented that it was a bit dull.

It costs about $10 to get a knife sharpened around me, but I'm wondering if I should just get a new knife. Is the Victorinox still the standard recommendation? There are tons of Amazon listings for "Victorinox chef knife" and I can't really tell them apart. Should I just get this one? It's sold and shipped by Amazon and the #1 best seller: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2/

At the rate you’re wearing through that knife by being vigilant with honing and keeping a looooong sharpening schedule, that Victorinox should be good for the next 237 years or so.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I managed to first deform, and then broke the weld and popped the blade from my Microplaner. Is there a coarse grater that will stand up to the rigors of palm sugar? Some of these pucks are like shredding a brick.

I’ve found it much easier to just use a heavy knife I don’t care much about. The fully intact puck is hard, but the slices break up super easily.

Piloncillo though… That stuff is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Robot Coupe grater attachment is separate, not just a disc insert, and it’s about as big as the machine itself. It is grate though because it does pretty crisp square profile, closer to julienne than a box grater.

The main benefit of the Robot Coupe though is just that it has incredibly high quality internals, and is very unlikely to break down compared to consumer models. The one at my first restaurant looked like it was already a decade old, and we ran it actively at least an hour per day for the two years I was there, with zero issues.

That and it can run basically indefinitely without overheating. So, pretty decent at doing meat emulsions.

It’s not like going from a normal consumer blender to a Vitamix though. It doesn’t really open up new techniques AFAIK.