Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Plan Z posted:

I really consider a some kind of spice grinding equipment to be a must-have these days. I hate those flavorless jars of powder so much that when my friend and I opened our own kitchen, we swore never to use powdered spices for any reason. Easiest would be to get one of the electric or coffee grinders listed above. Mortar and pestle works well, but if you have the time to season a molcajete, I'd take that over the M&P. Molcajetes have a coarser build, so they'll grind down whatever you want in a flash. They have that added effect that cast iron does in that once you season it, you never need to wash it with soap again, and it will only result in better-tasting food as time goes by. The only real problem with them is that the seasoning is a process. I could do a write-up for that if it pleases the court.

:justpost:

I'd like to see what that process is. My biggest gripe with the mortar and pestle I've used is that they are not coarse at all and just don't seem to grind up spices very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Midniter posted:

This one is cheap and durable.

I used this and found out my oven has been really poo poo at getting up to temp. Set the oven to 400, and when the pre-heat timer goes off, the oven is maybe at 300. Might be why I had trouble with cookies this past Christmas

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a can opener that won't have the gears strip out so quickly? Or are these treated as yearly disposable?

OP recommends the EZ duz it, unsure if that rec still stands or if others want to throw in their opinion

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

We have different schedules and cook for each other when the other is at work, so I haven't seen it in person, but I have a feeling my partner is misusing the can openers by not closing the handles all the way, so the gears don't completely mesh and strip out.

It's gotta be the only explanation, because I have no idea how we're destroying these things, seriously going through one a year.

EZ Duz It it is, it would seem

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

We don't even eat that many canned foods, I guess aside from chickpeas. I don't think the problem is with the number of cans opened.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Combination of oxo magnetic silicone dealies, kitchen rag, and welding gloves has covered all my bases for handling hot kitchen items.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Is this what it felt like to be on the outside of my broken-can-opener posting?

(For the record, the new EZ DUZ IT opener and the large japanese ganji kankiri opener are working and holding up great.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 1, 2020

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Dissimilar metals that are poorly bonded and/or poorly sized to each other CAN delaminate, warp, and pop at those temperatures. I'd hazard a guess that it's a case of same-factory-after-hours-but-lower-QA so they're just throwing that low temperature out there as a CYA. Reviews of them are littered with people mentioning warpage

Because otherwise it looks like it's all metal handles and rivets? That's all I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Relevant pic, even if the angles are sorta exaggerated:

Using a steel will buy you some extra time before you gotta sharpen. If you rub your hand along your steel, the black stuff that comes off your finger is your old, rolled knife edge. If you I work in a metal shop where we service our own tools and have all the stones, strops, rouges and poo poo I'll ever need so I'm spoiled. A plastic angle guide, a 1-2k stone will get you far without getting too spendy. poo poo, that's good enough for metal that's gonna be cutting through metal, I'm sure it's good enough for the kitchen.

Like Fart Car said, I also have 2 or 3 go-to knives and switch em out until they're all dull, then sharpen em. It doesn't take long at all. Put on an episode of whatever background show, fall into a trance as you count your strokes, and enjoy your knives again because you don't have to lean on them with all your body weight to cut through the skin of a bell pepper.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 21, 2020