Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hmm, I have a Handy Prep, DFP-3. It has a riveted blade, but the site is telling me that my model isn't recalled. I wonder if I should call the number in a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The only kitchen supply store in my area requires a sales tax exemption certificate. Know any good online ones?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

dino. posted:

On a stove top model, the heat will get significantly higher than the electric model. So if you’re going to do a popping of spices, then add beans, and then pressure cook, it’ll be possible on the stove, whereas the electric will never get hot enough. Also, the stove top doesn’t scream that obnoxious “overheat” error like the instant pot does. My sister in law has one, and she ends up using it for potatoes. The rice cooker does the rice. The stove top pressure cookers of various sizes do everything else. The instant pot is relegated to potatoes, because it sucks at anything else Indian.

Long story short, you have way less control with an electric. But if you have recipes that are already timed and give you exact guidance, and you tend to cook that way, live your best life I guess.

You can also just ignore the burn/overheat error to some extend. The heat will come back on in a minute and try again.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I managed to break the handle off of their garlic press. It was OK until then I guess.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are the microwave/convection combi units any good? I mostly seem them in reference to RVs, but I'm thinking about one for home. I don't think we really have room for a toaster oven in our kitchen, and think it could take the place of one for reheating baked goods. Or is it just going to be a bad microwave + a bad TO?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know if this is helpful, but I looked up a how it's made video of bacon production to see how they do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqIynamBMY&t=220s

Murgos posted:

Maybe one of those paper cutters? You know the big green table looking things with the grid and giant lever action blade?

Get the belly just this side of frozen and then 'schnikkkt'.

It's not that far off from this.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think my dishwasher manual has a chart telling you how much detergent to use based on the hardness of your water (in grains/gallon). If you have water utility they usually publish the hardness. This random manual has it on page 9: https://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-4000218-1.pdf and says to use the prewash when the hardness is over 12 grains/gal. Or if it's extra dirty.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was researching what kind of gas was ok for food, so I could get a dual-purpose torch for food/plumbing. Bernzomatic said both Propane or MAPP-Pro were ok. Then I realized a gas grill usually uses Propane so I went with that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Creami trip report: First batch is the strawberry ice cream from the recipe book.

The pint looked a little crumbly, but taking a spoon to it immediately smoothed it. I didn't bother with a re-spin. Scooped perfectly. It was definitely ice cream, but had a filmy mouth-feel. I'm guessing too much fat/not enough air. Maybe I could try half-and-half instead of the heavy cream next time? In the freezer is a "dole whip" recipe

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

In traditional ice cream makers, that filminess means it's been churned for too long and it's starting to turn into butter.

I'm not really sure how to translate that to the creami, since it's not really churned at all.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have that rack too, but it usually sits in the main rack. If I need extra room then I set it up right on the door to load and then slot it in when full.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I figured the arms were supposed to hold it, but never quite figured it out before.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Keep going and make porridge I guess.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I can’t remember which thread had a goon saying that in their scandinavian country they take their flooring with them but this seems like a nightmare in comparison

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7147592546926169390

Also you buy your bread unsliced and use a slicing machine at the grocery in Germany?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7147957861404970283

You can buy the kitchen from the person who rented your apartment before, and sell it to the next person. If they are buying it. If they don't, you remove it in spite.

They have the bread slicer at whole foods here.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was looking at them recently because I was tired of filling my electric kettle so often. Turns out they aren't much bigger. My kettle holds 1.75L and they have 2L and 3L options. I didn't feel like they were big enough to justify replacing the working kettle. We were also wondering how the pump parts can be cleaned, but didn't get that far.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Cassius Belli posted:

Ehr… while Zojirushi certainly has 2L and 3L options, most of their lineup goes up to 5L. "Use it up and wear it out" of course; there's no need to buy something new if what you've got is working for you.

I guess I happened to pick two lines that only had small boilers. Weird.

quote:

They sell little citric acid powder clean/sanitizing solution packets. You put one into a mostly-empty boiler and fill it, let it boil, run the whole thing through the dispenser, fill it again (no powder this time), flush the system clean (to clear any residues), and fill a third time (for regular use).

Ok, so sort of like an espresso machine. Good to know.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have determined that robots are more effective when the song Powerhouse is played during operation. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPYnNVMIyQ&t=119s

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There's something about ice cream machine reviews. I saw one review of a variety of machines. They got to the one where you freeze the bowl and "It says to freeze it overnight, but we did an hour. Hmm, it's not really freezing." They put the result in the freezer and it came out like poo poo.
If they had redone it following the directions it would have made a good point about the compressor machines allowing you to be spontaneous but it was just mindless.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They closed all their outlet stores, even the one in Corning, NY closed. They had the world's largest pyrex measuring cup there. It wasn't made out of pyrex though.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I remember getting an email with the subject "Racism Update" and saying "what the gently caress" out loud. It was the Penzey's newsletter. Apparently the previous issue told racists that they were not welcome and to unsubscribe. They had an update on how many people unsubscribed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Anyone here hotpot a lot? I'm trying to decide between a gas set-up or an induction one. Or should I get one of these all in one units? Everyone I know has two gas set ups for different soup bases, but I just don't really want to worry about the gas.

I went for induction and the split pot. I also didn't want to deal with the gas running out, that happened a couple times when we did it at friend's houses.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Duralex Picardie, but I think they max out at 16 oz.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was looking at a new gas range and noticed they have some safety features that require electricity, and therefore can't be manually lit when the power is out. Is this a new regulation? Or is there a brand that still works this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I understand the feature is supposed to turn off the gas if your burner is blown out or because your pot boiled over or something like that. I don't think it's a "turn off because the power is out" but turns off because the flame detection requires power. I think I saw one model that made you hold the knob in for a couple seconds like a hot water heater.

I figured all things being equal I'd rather have one that works when the power is out, but I'm not going to hunt down an old model if most are doing this now. I can buy a camp stove if I'm that worried about it.

I also discovered I get a employee discount on Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid through work, looks like $400-$500 off of what HD sells them for.