Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Authentic You posted:

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a whistling tea kettle because the plastic flip lid thing on my current kettle snapped off and the whistle fell out. I wired the whistle back in place but now it doesn't sit right and can't whistle anymore :qq:

I hopped on to Amazon to find another kettle of the same/similar model, but the one that most resembles mine apparently has rust problems (all the cheap ones have lots of reviewers reporting either rust problems or off-gassing/plastic coating-leeching problems) and a wimpy whistle, which is a dealbreaker. My old kettle screeched like a loving banshee and I could hear it from all the way in the back of my exceedingly long apartment unit full of sound-blocking plaster walls, and for a while, was the most effective alarm clock I've ever had (early morning, roommate would put it on for still-sleeping me and leave the house).

Do you guys have any particular recommendations for/experience with tea kettle models with known loud whistles that won't rust out after three weeks? Every time I think I've found a nice model I'll read the reviews and folks will say it doesn't whistle very well/at all. I have a feeling I'm the weird one for going out of my way to find the loudest, most obnoxious kettle.

I'm looking for the same thing. I had an enamelled, whistling tea kettle with a rubberized silicone handle that I really liked -- wouldn't burn myself on the handle, etc. -- but the enamel is coming off so I need a new one (and I suppose a different brand with better enamel).

Anyone have suggestions? I just want a stovetop kettle, not an electric one. Basically, a whistling teakettle, made of metal, with an enamel coating and a non-conductive handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Josh Lyman posted:

My Swing-A-Way can opener has rusted to death and is now 100% useless. What's a good manual replacement?

https://www.oxo.com/smooth-edge-can-opener-296

edit: to be clear, this one's nice because it takes off the top of the can cleanly with no sharp edges.

Alternatively, Cook's Illustrated did a comparison and found this to be the best can opener: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TSF10/?tag=cioequippilot-20

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 18, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ace of Baes posted:

Wanting to get my wife a kitchenaid mixer as a surprise gift, shes been wanting one for a while, from looking online it seems theres different levels, she cokks just about everything, will the ~250 one work well for standard cooking?

Might be a good idea to look at used ones. Kitchenaid mixers last forever. My wife still uses the one my mother bought in the 1960's. It wobbles a bit but it works as just as effectively as the modern, high-end one her parents bought her a few years ago; the only real difference is the newer one came with a few extra attachments.

EDIT: She says the new ones come with a breadmaking paddle, so if your wife makes bread, make sure to get that.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 30, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What's the best can opener these days? We had the fancy oxo one that creates no sharp edges but it's gotten dull with time.

Also has anyone ever invented a reliable device thats like an egg slicer but for onions, chopping onions and shallots takes the most time of any kitchen prep job for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
my wife's ceramic deep-dish pie plate that she's had for years and that came from a store that no longer exists (apparently "cloth world") is developing cracks and she needs a replacement. Does anyone have suggestions for an awesome pie plate?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
recommend me a spice / coffee grinder please thanks

the https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electr...+coffee+grinder recommended in the OP is out of stock

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there such a thing as a range oven with both induction and electric burners on the top? I don't want to give up using my old family classic corningware if I can avoid it, but otherwise induction seems like a great thing to chase.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lawnie posted:

It’s extremely stupid to have an electric gas shutoff when any old bimetallic valve that only remains open under heat from an ignited burner, closing if the flame goes out, does the job 100% of the time with or without input power.

Think of it as "the idiot next door might be actively trying to blow up his house" insurance

This is America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

alnilam posted:

Built in or standalone?

Built-in wise I've been happy with my GE Profile (30") for its price, but then again it's not like i bought and tried a bunch of them

I'd appreciate recommendations for induction and electric glass top built in cooktops. Doing a full kitchen renovation soon and would like both types of burner.