Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What's the current goon consensus on stand mixers? The only one that gets advertised to me are kitchenaid, but popularity isn't always a sign of value or quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What do you guys think of this? I know it's a bit pricey, but you have to think of stuff like this as an investment

https://jeb2016.com/shop/lifestyle/guaca-bowle/?lang=en

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Refurbished 6-quart bowl lift KitchenAid Pro stand mixer on Woot today for $200. Pretty good deal for a bowl lift Pro model if you don't want to wait around for the unicorn $200 new sale that pops up on the internet maybe once a year.

Thanks for throwing this up here, I just pulled the trigger. I've never had a stand mixer before, I'm really excited.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

Just bought (as in arrived today) a red one from Amazon Warehouse. For $130. Might some left, there were a lot. Don't think mine is a refurb, it just had a slightly damaged box. Speaking of which, anyone able to recommend good Sausage making books. British for preference.

Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and some other guy whose name escapes me

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Kitchenaid 6qt Pro arrived today! Gonna have to bake something fun tomorrow with my girlfriend. Because I hate money, are any of the kitchenaid accessories worth purchasing or are they all just kind afterthoughts that don't really work well enough to justify?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Oh dear lord I'm going to get so fat

EDIT: That's in reference to the ice cream maker

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah you should get stainless. One smaller nonstick for eggs, then a stainless stock pot, saucepan and skillet is enough for most people. Add a cast iron skillet and you're really in business. Nonstick is trash for cooking most things.

Edit: the list in the op is a pretty good breakdown of what you need, and the fundamentals haven't changed at all since it was written.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 26, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Is there any consensus on carbon steel skillets? Lodge 'good enough' or is it worth upgrading to something pricier? I've only ever used carbon steel for woks but it worked well enough that a skillet seems like it would be nice. I'm currently using tri-ply stainless and cast iron.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

Sweet, thanks for this. I've been using a poo poo thermometer forever and am psyched to get a Thermapen!

EDIT: I picked red

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Is plastic or glass better for storing dry goods? I figure both are similarly priced (especially as I could get glass from second hand stores).

The main differences are container weight, durability, quality of seal and design, so just get whatever looks the best quality of the options you have, if you don't have an aesthetic preference and don't have small kids running around (or some other reason glass is likely to get broken).

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, but like hillbilly grilling is a very competitive discipline, publish or perish bro.

And I assure you I have a ruined foundation/sand pit far removed from my house for this kinda stuff.

This is it configured for pepper roasting. Going to use the weed-burner for it this year though!

Not being able to build and do stuff like this is the only downside of living in a city to me. Maybe I'll get a rural residency and have land I can do stuff with.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
This is a crosspost with the 'GoonCave & Gardens' thread, but I figure people here might have thoughts on this too.

Despite having a pretty well equipped kitchen and enjoying cooking, I have for years just accumulated random pieces of dinnerware and glassware, and in my last move the box I had packed them all into (haphazardly) got dropped down a flight of stairs, and basically all my plates and glasses are broken/gone. Writing is on the wall that it's time to go adult and buy a set of matching stuff that was meant to go together. Does anybody have a recommendation for good brands? My initial thoughts were:

Correlle Livingware: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IWMOTE/ref=psdc_13218751_t1_B01EWI7TKY
Libbey Glassware: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFC6KLE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

but I'm not sold to those choices, they're just based on Amazon's search results. I can't comfortably seat more than six people in my new dining area, so I think a set of six is enough. I also don't feel like I need the matching coffee mugs that most dinnerware sets include. I'd just like to have something that looks and feels nice to eat/serve food off.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

SubG posted:

I can go into more detail about the stuff I ended up with and all the tedious thousand-browser-tab and hundred-houseware-departments comparison shopping horseshit if you want.

There's not much else going on until A) someone else stumbles in with a question or B) someone 'kick-starters' another insane kitchen gadget, so I say go for it

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What's the best setup for deep frying anyways? If I'm going to fry chicken at most once a month or so, is the difference in easy of use and quality worth having a uni-task deep fryer or what? I'm in an apt with an induction range, have a cast iron Lodge dutch oven, for reference.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Be aware that unless they changed something, the Costco branded 6qt use a weird bowl so you can't buy glass bowls, beater blades or the heated bowl accessory (although they made the ice cream maker so it fits multiple models). It didn't matter for me, I've had a KA Costco branded mixer for a while and loved it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

They changed something last year. The stupid Costco bowl is dead dead dead.

Oh drat, I should have waited one more year to buy my mixer. Oh well.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

wormil posted:

Was the diving helmet mandatory safety gear?

Ha, I noticed the same thing. Looks like a Mk V? You got some weird/cool poo poo I’m your living room man.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I pulled the trigger on a 12" fry pan, since my 10.5 that came in my Caphalon set is often too small for my needs. My mom also wanted a 3qt copper core saucepan so I ordered them both at once for the free $80 ramekin set. My pan collection now is:

Caphalon 8-piece MCP set (8/10.5 skillet, saucepan, stockpot, chef's pan)
Lodge Cast Iron Set (skillet, dutch oven, griddle) plus a 12" skillet
Le Creuset Brasier
12" All Clad fry pan

I just need an enameled cast iron dutch oven and then I should be good for pretty much anything.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 24, 2017

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The Vitamix 5200 is currently just under $300 which according to CCC is an all-time low, so prob a good time to snag one if you want one

https://smile.amazon.com/Vitamix-00...GXN5A3PQ3WMC1NA

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a GWS recommended knife set + block? We have an awful Farberware set that really needs an upgrade and I didn't see a recommendation in the OP. I saw a Emeril set at Costco but it got bad Amazon reviews so I held off.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html + a random knife block. Then if you feel the need to get like, a bread slicer or something your block isn't filled up with useless knives.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Feenix posted:

Just want you bastards to know you made me do it...

I have the same one, I really like it. Trying to decide if I should buy any of their extra disk attachments though, they're kinda expensive. I'll probably just get the extra-thin slicer.

EDIT: I bought their little carrying case and it has three disc slots, the base unit comes with two, so obviously you gotta get at least one more to fill it, right?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
It’s just inflation, I think they’re both pretty decent deals. Everything gets more expensive over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

wormil posted:

Swissmar Borner mandoline
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000632QE/

VS

Mueller mandoline
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Austria-Adjustable-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B01CT63964/

Thoughts? Leaning toward the Swissmar. ATK liked it but the review was very thin and they mostly compared it against bad mandolines. I have a DeBuyer but never use it.

I can’t do an actual comparison since I’ve never tried the Mueller but I recently bought the Swissmar on the strength of the ATK rec and like it. Haven’t lost fingat yet and find it quite easy to use and versatile. Can’t speak to reliability or anything yet.