Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I bought a nice kitchen scale, and it broke within a year, so I'm using an analogue one that's like 70 years old instead. Works fine, except they're not great for fine measurements.

Anyone got a reccomendation for digital kitchen scales that aren't gonna die within a year? (UK)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Was looking at those! I would have to really find somewhere permanent for them to live, probably not even in the kitchen because I don't have any useful plug sockets in there, but it looks like a good option.

Seems like they're here for half the price, too. Same model number.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Might be worth looking at ebay near you. The Kenwood I'm using atm was collection only with accessories and a metal bowl for £60, we put it in a rucksack and bought it home on the train. It would normally cost that just for the bowl.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I just use regular scissors, they work well enough. I think they were marked as dressmakers shears and I bought them for gardening...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Goodbye, bright red 1940s analog scales, hello new kd8000! Thanks for the recs.

God I missed being able to weigh things easily.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I use the same jars you linked and they're fine, I refill as needed, but they hold a surprisingly good amount. I am thinking about getting some of these though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079QF67S8/?psc=1

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

"Maybe it's worth checking ebay for ex-commerc..."

And then I looked at the prices on ebay, jesus. Might still be worth a look though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Amazon (at least UK) have some dumb sale on today, it's prime only, but they will give out prime free trials at the drop of a hat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-7-6074-Kitchen-Cutlery-Peeler/dp/B001U51ZRQ

This vegetable peeler is very good, and I just bought a second one just in case I lose the first one or it goes super blunt or something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050DL5SI?psc=1

I also bought a kitchen knife.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Slightly higher hydration maybe? Even wrapped around the hook it probably is kneading, you just gotta let it go longer.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's what I do with pizza dough, it actually tastes better after a week in the fridge. Always just have a ball or two just chilling in there, I don't even knock it back until I need it.

I've heard that the more solid beaters will work, but it can burn the motors out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Bread freezes and defrosts very well, if you see it on end of day sales.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I bought some glass Ikea 365 bowls for holding bread dough the other day, and then went back and got several more, and they're somehow still all in use! They're pretty good, and even the lids seems to be microwave safe.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm pretty sure the woodworking thread is like 90% chopping boards.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Buy the expensive stuff and it'll work much better, is my experience.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Knock-off Kilner jar with the lid removed because the lid was the bit that got grungy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've been using these for oil / soy sauce, they're fine and very cheap. The soy sauce leaks a little but the oil is fine.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/grilltider-squeeze-bottle-plastic-transparent-80444606/

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I spent like a week looking at them and then just picked a random little wooden one off amazon because they all seemed like too much. Made sure to get one with ceramic burrs rather than plastic like the supermarket one I had, and it's been fine.

But you could always go for one of the MANLY and MASCULINE and EXPENSIVE ones. I think pepper grinders are inherently phallic and that breaks something inside men's brains.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

I'd never heard of the pepper cannon until you referenced expensive grinders here and I looked it up. It looks pretty amazing and if lord Kenji likes it I'm in. If anyone has bad experiences with it let me know, otherwise will get it around christmas maybe.

That's the one! Seems okay, but Fakespot seems to think 80% of the Amazon reviews on it are unreliable.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have one of these silly little peelers and I like it so much I bought a second when I saw it on sale, so I have a backup when the first one gets thrown out with the peelings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U51ZRQ?amp=&amp=

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I tried reuseable silicone cupcake wrappers once, absolutely inedible.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

For flour, I use bait buckets. They'd work for rice too, although they can be a little hard to open. They're pretty cheap. "Squre green bait bucket" on google brings up lots of listings, and they're all made in the same factory in China. I use half-size ones for the more wholegrain flour types, so if bugs get into one then at least the others are okay.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The ones in the images are the 17l size and it takes one 17l and one 10l to decant a 16kg sack of flour. I'd imagine a 10l one would be fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trakker-Secchio-17lt-Olive-Container/dp/B07D1QRFVN/262-1563467-4767745?psc=1
https://www.lincsproducts.co.uk/-no-lids---10-litre-camo-bait-square--plastic-bucket--lid--no-lids--648-p.asp

As examples.

Edit: Oh wait, the bag I emptied earlier was only 12.5kg, but I think you should still be good with the 10l ones, you can always pick up two and put the other in a cupboard until you need it, or they stack nicely too.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 27, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://invopak.co.uk/17-l-plastic-square-olive-green-bucket-with-handle

This is the supplier everyone gets them from, and it tags them as food grade.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I looked it up ages ago when they were out of stock everywhere, and it was the only place I could find actually selling them in bulk, so a good assumption they're at least the main importer for the UK market. When I bought them off ebay originally from a UK seller they were marked as food grade. People don't say where they get stuff from, especially on amazon.

I just went downstairs and checked, both the random ebay ones and the lincsplastics ones are identical in build quality and marked PP5 on the bottom.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sometimes I also use mine to peel cheese, if the grater isn't clean, does that count?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe dumpling wrappers? But having made them the other day, I think again it might be done better with a pasta machine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah if your seasoning is good, both those things are fine. Might need to give it a scrub and put a new layer on after the pasta sauce, but that's not all that bad for it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My kitchen scissors are just two random dress-makers shears, like this: (maybe literally this)
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/korbond-dressmaking-scissors-comfort-grip-9in/p/0083803

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have a little square lodge grilled cheese pan which works surprisingly well.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Best metal tools I have are from some barbecue kit. All one piece formed metal, no separate handles to trap water or fall off. They've lasted decades.

I think ikea sells similar.

I should maybe get a decent silicone spatula though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

SubG posted:

KD8000 from My Weight unless you need > 1g accuracy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah mine lives next to the flour but it moves around the kitchen a lot. We use it for all sorts, and I don't think I could live without the percentage function now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Favorite glass tupperware? Water tightness not required - I use ball jars for such items. Main criteria:

ikea 365 for me, cheap and solid.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I mean you're only gonna break them anyway, may as well just set up a yearly order!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Been thinking about buying an induction wok stove, when we finally move to Germany this summer. I've heard they're pretty good, and I love the wok too much to want to leave it behind.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Supposedly the round induction heaters can get it as hot as with a gas burner, and quite evenly.

If I wanted a flat bottomed one, I'd just stick with my cast iron frying pans tbh. This is a nice carbon steel one and already seasoned and with a few years of cooking on it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Craft-Wok-Hammered-Carbon-731W316/dp/B0922Y11HX

It's still heavy though.

(edit: to clarify, this is the same as I have, only flatter. Got it 3 years ago and it's been awesome, just make sure to season it well to start. Change to .com if you're in the US)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 12, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I was going to mock it, but yeah, I guess if you have a tremor it could be great.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Buttons can be hard to clean, I guess?

I've had a double oven for a decade and I'm going to miss the hell out if it when we move. They're great, but it's also raised up of the floor so you can see into it, I might hate it more if it was at floor level.

Never had an issue with stuff not fitting, but I also don't cook huge meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe there's a goon or friend near you who can tag some onto their next order?