Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
The Kuhn Rikon Piranha Y peeler has a stainless blade. Been using mine daily for more than a year and it still looks new. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Bought a Krups rectangular Belgium waffle maker 5 months ago. It makes 4 waffles at a time. Works great. Two waffles are enough for me, so the other two get re-heated the next morning.

The "waffles are ready" alarm tone it makes sounds exactly like my smoke alarm. Just an observation.

The reason I picked this one is because the waffle touching bits can be removed from the electrical iron parts and washed in the sink. Other waffle irons I've had in the past were difficult to clean because the plates could not be removed.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I paid $170 for my neuro fuzzy 20 years ago. It still works great. Can’t recommend the thing enough.
I’m surprised the price hasn’t changed much in two decades.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I’ve used a Spyderco Sharpmaker to maintain my kitchen knives for maybe 15 years. Works fine. Easy to use. No big deal. It gets the job done with minimal fuss.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I need a new kettle. I bought a Cosori 1.7L electric kettle last week, but even after running a dozen or more batches of water through it (plus one batch of white vinegar), the hot water it produces smells like musty old towels. I would prefer a kettle that produces water that smells like hot water. Any suggestions for something available in the US that doesn’t literally stink?

I’m also considering going back to a stove top kettle, as the electric one didn’t really fit well in my small kitchen's limited counter space. After reading a bunch of reviews on amazon, however, they all seem like junk (even from brands like All Clad, Cuisinart, and Viking). Anyone with a stove top kettle they like?

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Anyone have opinions on expensive butcher block cutting boards

I have had a 15x20x3 inch end grain maple butcher block board for a few years. It isn’t one from a name brand and only cost me $90.

The most important things to know about it are that it takes up way more room on the counter than I thought, it doesn’t fit in the sink, and it weighs almost 30 pounds. So it lives on the counter and gets wiped down with a damp sponge to clean it.

It’s fine, but I wouldn’t buy it again knowing what I know now.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

cutting board question.

You had asked about cracking, and I forgot to mention that yes, several of the blocks of wood in my big cutting board have small cracks perpendicular to the grain. This does not cause the board to fall apart, but it does provide places for bacteria to hang out. I consider one side of the board unusable due to many blocks across the entire surface suffering from this. The side I use only has a few blocks with checking and fortunately they are all near the edge on one side, so I just avoid that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Sadly I'm in far from London, well not really sad as London is awful, in Edinburgh. Those spun iron pans look interesting, I've seen their casseroles in a shop near here but not the pans before.

Eddingtons distributes Lodge pans in the UK, and from the map on their web site, it looks like there are several shops in Edinburgh that might sell them. Something to consider at any rate.

https://www.eddingtons.co.uk/Catalo...DLE-12-17L10SK3